Artificial grass

Associate
The grass has came a long way since it first came out and looked like green plastic pins sticking up.

There are some that you can barely tell the difference, soft and lush that look great.

Problem is the laying, the prep is just as important than the grass, you can't just roll it out and hope for the best. make sure you do it the right way and it will last for years.

Soldato
Never understood this plastic grass...all of this plastic in the garden can not be good and will not benefit wildlife in anyway.

Reminds me of the lorax where they cut all the trees down and replace it all with no maintenance plastic crap...

Has to be up there with one of the worst products ever.

Associate
I have artificial grass out the front as we don’t have a lot of land out there and it serves it’s purpose, I’ve even had a few people stop and touch as it looks that good, but I would never put it in the back garden there’s nothing better than good lawn or maybe I’m just old.

Soldato
OP
Its just a small slopes bank that leads to my log store with confifer trees ,South facing so real grass would have no chance.

Soldato
Someone on our road replaced their small patch of turf and shrubs with fake grass. Can't really call it fake grass as it stands out a mile away as fake next to the other gardens which still have real grass. Even worse it's exposed the manhole covers in the garden and it's right up to the boundary. Purple slate and some pots would have looked a lot better.

Soldato
It's pretty terrible stuff on all fronts, terrible for the environment and looks awful. I've never seen any which was in any way convincing, just looks like you've put some bad green carpet outside.

If you can't be bothered to cut the grass (or can't afford a robot lawn mower) you're way better off having gravel or flags or even a slab of concrete as they look about 1000x better.

Soldato
I'm a fan, but as mentioned above prep does need to be done well for it to look decent.

The stuff we have is around 13 years old now and we're just about to change it. You can really tell how far it's come from comparing the samples we've got to what is currently down.

Associate
We’ve got AstroTurf in our garden, it was done before we bought the house. It’s not something we wanted or would install but it does have its advantages with having a dog and children. I wouldn’t want to do a front garden with it, we’ve put down wood chipping over ours, it’s only a tiny area to be fair.

Soldato
Fake grass can look well when used sparingly, i have a few square metres in the front (woven green and yellow to look more natural) where we put down tarmac with some in a half moon down one side, planting grass there felt daft as there wasn't going to be much growth and from a maintenance point of view, easy. Due to running onto the road, there wouldn't be much life in there anyway.
Out the back I have a decent sized garden lined by two hedgerows around 15ft tall, 6 castlewellen golds, a Berry landed Bush (no idea what type) and a huge eucalyptus tree between which are home to all kinds of life.
We have sparrows, Crows, Ravens, magpies (each is distinguishable and kids have named each of them), Pigeons, Blackbirds, Robins, Bluetits and a couple of small unidentified varieties, the occasional sparrow hawk and seagulls. There is at least one hedgehog down there too living in a pile of last years twigs cut from hedge. What we took away at the front we have added if not more to the rear. I also made a couple of bird houses with food trays. The trays get used daily, not so sure about the houses though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom