Calling Team 10

Associate
Having trouble keeping my big rig folding.
Its a duel epyc rig with 7601's so 64 core 128 threads ,i'm having the most luck when smt is disabled so only 64 cores (about 1mill ppd).
The problem is about once a day it just sits with no work until the slot is deleted and replaced or the rig is rebooted.
I'm running ubuntu 18.04.
I have other rigs that mostly just run without issue ,any suggestions?
I have tried a larger number of smaller slots but that seems even worse:(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having trouble keeping my big rig folding.
Its a duel epyc rig with 7601's so 64 core 128 threads ,i'm having the most luck when smt is disabled so only 64 cores (about 1mill ppd).
The problem is about once a day it just sits with no work until the slot is deleted and replaced or the rig is rebooted.
I'm running ubuntu 18.04.
I have other rigs that mostly just run without issue ,any suggestions?
I have tried a larger number of smaller slots but that seems even worse:(

Can't really help you there mate, not running any big iron anymore. Closest I could get would be maybe a 2990WX on Ubuntu 20.04 I can give it a whirl if I get a chance.

Gonna pick this back up again lads and ladettes... :)
Dropped out of the top 10, makes me sad.

About bloomin time! :D

Soldato
How punishing is this? I'm just installing Ubuntu to my laptop, spends all day sat idle so could be doing something. Just don't want to kill it, only had her a couple of months.

Man of Honour
Its not great to run on laptops because it runs the cpu or gpu or both at full chat and laptops aren't designed to deal with heat for that length of time.

Soldato
Actually with the iGPU I get 70,000 ppd:)

I was totally set on pre-ordering 3080 blind as will get Nvidia no matter. Unless AMD give a release date this year and I don't see why they shouldn't, then may still go ahead.

Soldato
Occasionally I get asked to prove stability / reliability of machines with GPUs in them. F@H makes for an easy way to both make a machine work, and actually provide some value. 6,425,705 from the last 24 hours from what I left running over this long weekend (I'm in the US), under my more usual handle of Twirrim. I'll circle back here with details soon because I think some folks might find it interesting.

I'll need to check some metrics, but I _think_ there has been a bit of work unit starvation going on

hourfold.png

Last edited:
Associate
Occasionally I get asked to prove stability / reliability of machines with GPUs in them. F@H makes for an easy way to both make a machine work, and actually provide some value. 6,425,705 from the last 24 hours from what I left running over this long weekend (I'm in the US), under my more usual handle of Twirrim. I'll circle back here with details soon because I think some folks might find it interesting.

I'll need to check some metrics, but I _think_ there has been a bit of work unit starvation going on

hourfold.png

I had wondered where 'Twirrim' had come from as you approached in my rear view mirror extremely fast LOL! Shame you can't run like that all the time as that was a pretty significant boost :)

Soldato
Okay, for those who were curious. I had large boosts over two weekends, that rapidly shot me up various charts. I was testing our new cloud hardware "shape" (configuration) that was just announced, which features 8 * Nvidia A100 GPUs in them, linked in their usual hybrid-cube shape. Our previous generation had 8 * V100 GPUs in it in similar configuration. Very rough "gpu-burn" testing put the tensorcore performance up some ~50% vs V100, and normal cuda performance seemed to be up about a third. Note: I really don't know what I'm doing with this stuff. These aren't official benchmark figures, and nothing I tested longer term leveraged nvlink, to the best of my knowledge.

F@H proved a good way to have a sustained workload over a period of time to ensure that there were no immediately obvious gotchas. I didn't spend any time particularly configuring F@H, I just ran the CLI straight. There were a few times I had to restart the process to bring some GPUs back in to the fold. F@H didn't know what the hardware was, nor how to take advantage of it particularly, so far as I can tell. It picked up general CUDA/GPU workloads I believe.

Back
Top Bottom