In search of a "classic" Pay & Go mobile network

Associate
Greetings,

I was on Pay & Go with O2 until around 2012, when I began to use their contracts.

Recently, I've been using my mobile less and less. I missed the "moneybox" ways of old, where you throw a few quid in the box and only dip in when needed. So I cancelled my contract and moved back to Pay & Go.

Much to my dismay, I found they've made Pay and Go into what amounts to 1-month contracts. It's all or nothing; top up £10 and get a "bundle" or get nothing. There's no obvious option to just leave the tenner there and use as needed. This seems to defeat the reason for P&G, because I'd buy a contract if I wanted that. They send a "friendly" SMS saying, "yeah we've just lifted that £10 from your balance, now you'd better use what you've given us this month". Cheers lads, but it's not what I asked!

So, if anyone's familiar with the British mobile networks of today, would anyone advise me who is offering a classic O2 contract? One where you load on £10, then they allocate a set number of minutes/sms/data for a month but let you keep the £10 to use at your leisure.

I'd prefer a better-established network, but if anyone's experiences of the virtual/smaller networks has been fine, I'd be open to those too. I am also wary of location data mining, (EE have some dodgy arrangement for that) but that's becoming impossible to avoid now. :rolleyes:

All suggestions will be appreciated... the mobile world has shifted bounds since I last paid any serious attention!

Soldato
Soldato
Three 3-2-1, I'm a very low call/text user, £10 topup from over a year ago needs a new topup soon. For browsing away from home, I use a 24GB prepaid Three data sim on the second slot, that expires 24 months after setup.

Back
Top Bottom