LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Caporegime
Yup, expect an OLED "monitor" to cost massive money, just have to look at what is considered to be "top end" LCD monitors.... and what they are costing..... :o
It may not cost as much as you think when panels start mass production. We are in a terrible time for monitors at the moment.

I would have also preferred a 40" size, but this thing from a meter (or two) away is immense. I've never seen a picture like it. When it gets dark, sunlight can become blinding off the screen. And that's with OLED Light set to 50!

I have noticed that mine recognises games and movies on the Xbox and will select settings to fit. Slightly annoying but once the settings are in, we're good. The motion smoothing stuff is horrid IMO though. That's switched off for all inputs.
Yeah, as I mentioned in the post you quoted, the best sized screen and the best distance to view the screen at, is a highly personal choice. Also depends on your room setup, and size of desk. Larger, deeper desk = more room for larger monitors, without having to move your head as much.

The distance I have my CX48 mounted at means I don't move my head at all. I can appreciate the resolution and detail at this distance without any kind of eye strain.
I am happy (and a bit envious) that you can accommodate those distances but sadly I can't, I need it around 50-60cm away so 32" would be the max I could tolerate. I wish it were otherwise as the 48 CX is clearly amazing but just too big for use at regular distances on my desk.

I bought a Samsung 28" 4k screen to tide me over. :)

Soldato
changed around my desk a little no longer need the second screen

• do enjoy doing games in windows mode when i want to just chill. but love HDR too
  • would like a slighty deeper desk but its not to bad.
  • enjoying "couch gaming"
  • just started up watch dogs the orignal getting 4K at 77-90FPS
0yn6APg

0yn6APg.jpg

Soldato
Anyone want to show image with ACC in 21:9 and even a 32:9 ratio
No good images or videos anywhere showing OLED being used with custom resolutions.

How does the sets PAP modes work, again hard to find this being shown in videos

Caporegime
@Nexus18 was it you that said you use custom resolutions to get ultrawide? If so, how do you get say 3440*1440 and the 4k equivalent?

Not sure about nvidia control panel these days but it should be something along these lines

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel and click "Customize..."
2. Check box "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display"
3. Click "Create Custom Resolution"

Use following resolutions

3840x1620

4. Aspect Ratio should be set to either "Aspect Ratio" or "No Scaling."

You'll also need to check the TV aspect ratio setting too.

This was was my 55" one years ago

3P35pkol.jpg

Soldato
Ah thanks for above but also looking cockpit view perspective to compare 16:9 with 21:9 or indeed even 32:9.

I like the idea of being able to use for all options and have the screen on a movable arm that can be positioned closer/back on a sim cockpit.

A 55" could offer a 32:9 screen size similar to the Samsung 49" G9
Yet it can be a large 4K display with 16:9 something and still a really nice 21:9 ultrawide monitor.

Things a Super Ultrawide monitor like the G9 cant do.
So please someone can you go to the bother of illustrating these, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
The last great monitor I had was the NEC 20WGX2 with the AS-IPS panel. It's crazy how deep the blacks were for IPS technology, I have never seen anything like it since outside of OLED. Ahh, good times.

I had one of those! Loved the glossy screen on it. I sold it on a few weeks ago actually!

The CX48 is the first monitor I've used since the 20WGX2 that has the same type of glossy panel. I really missed it, and can't believe how relatively terrible the matte or semi gloss finishes I've had on the monitors I've used in between.

I upgraded from the 20WGX2 to a NEC 24WMGX3, a 1920x1200 VA monitor. Good upgrade in terms of real estate and resolution, but didn't look half as good as the 20WGX2. Moved to a 27" BenQ XL2730Z a few years later, TN 1440P 144Hz panel. Washed out colours, horrible matte coating, but was very fast and response.

If you liked the 20WGX2 you'll love the CX48. Imagine just a bigger version, with even deeper blacks, instant response time and 120hz!

Associate
I had one of those! Loved the glossy screen on it. I sold it on a few weeks ago actually!

The CX48 is the first monitor I've used since the 20WGX2 that has the same type of glossy panel. I really missed it, and can't believe how relatively terrible the matte or semi gloss finishes I've had on the monitors I've used in between.

I upgraded from the 20WGX2 to a NEC 24WMGX3, a 1920x1200 VA monitor. Good upgrade in terms of real estate and resolution, but didn't look half as good as the 20WGX2. Moved to a 27" BenQ XL2730Z a few years later, TN 1440P 144Hz panel. Washed out colours, horrible matte coating, but was very fast and response.

If you liked the 20WGX2 you'll love the CX48. Imagine just a bigger version, with even deeper blacks, instant response time and 120hz!

LOL, I had that monitor to back in the day. And allways missed that glossy screen. It was awesome. So now on my C9 im more then happy, to FINALY have the gloss back :D

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Did some digging into this Joled oled panels, seems it got established 2014, mass production 2019 and they are doing some 21 inch oled panels there on rainforest for a whopping 4.3k.....so back to LG oled.

Ill admit I did not like the 48 inch LG oled idea at first, but I folded a cardboard box in to match the width and height of the 48" LG and put it over my 40" TV and it's not actually that much bigger a good 5-6inches wider and 2-3 inchs height wise, I guess its due to the slim bezels on the oled panels and thin design.

Now just have to wait for this hot curry deal to expire so rest of UK can get stock and sell them (how selfish) :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
changed around my desk a little no longer need the second screen

• do enjoy doing games in windows mode when i want to just chill. but love HDR too
  • would like a slighty deeper desk but its not to bad.
  • enjoying "couch gaming"
  • just started up watch dogs the orignal getting 4K at 77-90FPS
0yn6APg

0yn6APg.jpg

Would that not look amazing if you remove the picture on the back wall and wall mount the LG with a slim wall mount on the wall against the purple wall colour ?

Those 2-3 inches pushed back would also give a bit more breathing space for your eyes, maybe could move whole desk forward even if you want more space.

Caporegime

Hah you had one too, good choice! If only they had made a 24 inch version that was exactly the same panel but higher resolution as the 20gx2. Sadly it wasn't to be.

And yes of course I would love an oled screen, I know the technology well and it sadly a CX48 is simply too big as a monitor at any regular PC desk distance. In the end, It's a TV that can also be used as a monitor, not a monitor that can also be used as a TV. :)

Soldato
Have any of you used the Prime Video app on this? I'm getting terrible judder with the native LG app. If I watch via Chromecast Ultra then the judder is gone but it's not HDR.

I've watched some Grand Tour and James May in Japan on Prime video, for me there was only one noticeable judder. This came during a panning shot over water, where the sunlight on the ripples skipped a bit. Apart from that it has been faultless. That's connected to 200mbps over Wi-Fi.

Soldato
Would that not look amazing if you remove the picture on the back wall and wall mount the LG with a slim wall mount on the wall against the purple wall colour ?

Those 2-3 inches pushed back would also give a bit more breathing space for your eyes, maybe could move whole desk forward even if you want more space.
its not staying here will be going in man-cave eventually ;)

Back
Top Bottom