BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
People who see ISP's not enforcing court ordered blocking as a plus point are by implication not using VPN's, if they were, they wouldn't be blocked. You state you have (and presumably use) a VPN, but see non blocking as a plus point, that feels like an obvious contradiction :) If anything I see ISP blocking as a positive, it protects people who don't know better from the implications of poor choices. Little Wilfred doesn't download the latest movie and a rights holder try to take Dad to the cleaners for £4K. The real problem is when people have non blocking ISP's and don't understand that speculative invoicing by rights holders is a thing and the IPA requires the ISP to log all the sites they visit, with no specific date on when that data is purged and seemingly man+dog can access it with the most tenuous of 'needs'.

Either way BT sounds like a reasonable shout, just hope for no need to deal with TS - it's painful at every level.

Those 'enforced court orders' aren't always all they block though - Link 1 Link 2https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ks-are-in-error.html https://en.wikipedia.org

I do understand your view, and I get no system is perfect. It's just as I said a personal irritation that if I'm paying for something, all access is always better than 'some' access. I want to be able to use it however stupidly or illegally you assume I am using it, if I so choose. Who knows if my VPN provider isn't actually logging and keeping and selling the data they say they aren't anyway.

I feel like our disagreement is derailing the thread though, so I'll stop.

I don't mind phonecalls when I'm getting paid, but when I'm not I can't stand it :D

Soldato
So this is a bit strange, but I recently went to the 900mbps service from the 150mbps one as I talked about in here.

Decided for now it was not for me, so cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period.

Before the upgrade I got 150mbps and could download at approx 17MB/sec. Now that I am back on my previous service for some reason I am actually getting 200mbps with a 24MB/sec download.

This is not a fluke as each and every speedtest I do says I am on 200mbps. I have not reset the router yet to see if it clears, but it seems my tariff has somehow been changed to a slightly quicker one, and even stranger not a speed that BT seem to sell?

vYasSBy.png

Associate
Quick Q,
If my green cab is full for FTTC and showing a waiting list, as such only adsl+ is available to order.
Am I at risk if I try to change FTTC supplier? Is there a chance that during the change over my slot is nabbed and I'm up the creek till/if BT ever add more capacity?
Leaving me with... - 16Mb internet, with 1Mb upload :eek:

Soldato
So this is a bit strange, but I recently went to the 900mbps service from the 150mbps one as I talked about in here.

Decided for now it was not for me, so cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period.

Before the upgrade I got 150mbps and could download at approx 17MB/sec. Now that I am back on my previous service for some reason I am actually getting 200mbps with a 24MB/sec download.

This is not a fluke as each and every speedtest I do says I am on 200mbps. I have not reset the router yet to see if it clears, but it seems my tariff has somehow been changed to a slightly quicker one, and even stranger not a speed that BT seem to sell?

Why is your upload slow as well.

Caporegime
Quick Q,
If my green cab is full for FTTC and showing a waiting list, as such only adsl+ is available to order.
Am I at risk if I try to change FTTC supplier? Is there a chance that during the change over my slot is nabbed and I'm up the creek till/if BT ever add more capacity?
Leaving me with... - 16Mb internet, with 1Mb upload :eek:
It’s likely yes, most ISP checkers will look for a spare port and if there aren’t any.....

Soldato
Odd my 100 service is 150/30, but I don't have halo.

I don't think halo does anything strange for the speeds it's more extra data for mobiles and better support tier etc.

I may reboot the router later just see if it's a lingering setting. I don't know if an extra 50mbps download is better than losing 10mbps upload, but I probably download a lot more than I upload so maybe?

Soldato
@spoffle Did you just call the standard number when calling to haggle? Wonder if it will be harder to do these days due to lockdown.

FTTP went live in my street recently, struggling to decide whether to go with BT or Zen now they're also offering 500 and 1000.
Yeah just the standard number. I initially upgraded to 900Mb at £55 a month, but saw someone else talking about paying less than advertised speeds. They said they couldn't change my monthly price without downgrading back to my previous 300Mb service, then see what price was available as an upgrade again.

The downgrade never happened and was pending for a few weeks, until I had someone call me up to make me an offer. Which was keeping my monthly payments the same, but giving me a £120 credit to make my effective monthly cost £50.

Soldato
I think I've worked out what's gone wrong. BT seem to have put onto a 220/20 FTTP profile instead of the 150/30 I'm meant to be on, happened to someone else here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Ultrafast-Fibre-Plus-specification/td-p/1891546

I am of 2 minds as to what to do, on the one hand I am getting 50mbps more download speed, on the other I have lost 10mbps upload speed in the process!

Generally download is more useful than upload speed, but upload is at a premium due to having way less of it to begin with.

Soldato
If I were me I'd contact them about it because whilst the massive bump in download I have now over FTTC is great, it's the upstream that I needed and losing 50% of that additional upstream wouldn't be ideal.

Soldato
There are a lot of folks having profile issues with BT FTTP at the moment, there's a rather big thread on their forums about it. It basically comes down to downloads being fine but upload speeds being incorrectly capped.

My experience is i'm on 900Mb down, 110Mb up. After 10 days my upload dropped to 30Mb, factory reset router, went back to 110MB. Now over the last 10 days i've done from 110Mb to 50Mb to 30Mb to 10Mb, a factory reset gets me back to 50Mb for a day or two then it drops to 10Mb again.

Almost exclusively, everyone who posts has a set upload limit of 50, 30 or 10Mb so it's some router issue with the Smart Hub 2.

Speed guarantee for upload is just 10Mb so actual Bt support won't do anything but there is a dedicated mod team on the forums looking into it.

Soldato
Speed caps will be set on the BNG where the PPP sessions terminate, I'm sure they've just got a bug they've not been able to find yet. Sky were having the same problems with people hitting a hard ~39Mbps cap regardless of sync rate.

BNG?

It's frustrating for most on the thread as we've had the full 110Mb working fine with no issues...then computer said no :D

Soldato
BNG?

It's frustrating for most on the thread as we've had the full 110Mb working fine with no issues...then computer said no :D

BNG will be the gateway, as BT will control the speeds off premise so people can't trick them into giving better speeds.

Are you hardwired when testing? wifi or homeplugs in my experience can drop the speeds. If using a switch try attaching directly to the back of the router.

My experience on the 900mbps service was that I couldn't usually actually get 900, more like 600 or so. At the moment I think 300 or 500 would be a better sweet spot as it would more consistently cap out.

Last edited:
Soldato
@HungryHippos cat7 cable directly into the router. BT forum mods have acknowledged there is an issue and are getting back to folks individually to help as basic BT support aren't a lot of help.

I have the full download all the time, as long as the end point can send the data fast enough. It's just the upload issue at set speeds which screams to everyone with the issue it's a profiling problem. Everyone on the thread without fail is capped at 50Mb, 30Mb or 10Mb upload.

I am tempted to drop back to 300Mb if BT will allow a downgrade, 900Mb is absolute overkill.

In fact, tbh, i'd rather just have 150MB down and keep the 110Mb up, i do systemic cloud backups and 110Mb is a godsend. BT would never allow that though.

Soldato
@HungryHippos cat7 cable directly into the router. BT forum mods have acknowledged there is an issue and are getting back to folks individually to help as basic BT support aren't a lot of help.

I have the full download all the time, as long as the end point can send the data fast enough. It's just the upload issue at set speeds which screams to everyone with the issue it's a profiling problem. Everyone on the thread without fail is capped at 50Mb, 30Mb or 10Mb upload.

I am tempted to drop back to 300Mb if BT will allow a downgrade, 900Mb is absolute overkill.

In fact, tbh, i'd rather just have 150MB down and keep the 110Mb up, i do systemic cloud backups and 110Mb is a godsend. BT would never allow that though.

Yeah 150/150 would be pretty great tbh, but for some reason upload is always far harder to get than higher download speeds, must be a reason for it but I have no idea what it is.

I downgraded mine as I found the 900 was overkill as it's just me, and I couldn't reach it most of the time anyway. Highlighted that I need some hardwired runs in the house though, and I'd like to jump to a good deal on 300 or 500 in the future :)

Edit - do you have the BT forum link for the people with problems on the upload speed? I'd like to have a read.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom