BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Fixed :)

3266036374041793-Fm6flPta.png

Soldato
Soldato
Anyone got a line on who to complain to at Gigaclear, about their utter incompetence and failure to complete an installation?

Since February we've had a box on the side of our house, sitting wide open with a coil of fibre cable hanging out of it. Meanwhile, GC keep telling me they need to send a team out to clear the blocked duct to the cabinet, despite them already having done this and confirming three times that the blockage has been cleared... In the meantime, five of our neighbours have placed orders and been connected. I can see their connections on my router and since there's only 16 houses within range I presume they're all on the same cabinet as me.

I've tried emailing the network team, the build team, the connection team, the support team and the CEO, but have had nothing back beyond that same form-letter witter about clearing the blockage, from the same 'experience advisor'.

Caporegime
I'd post on Thinkbroadband and see if Andrew who runs the site has any contacts in the Gigaclear press office who can apply pressure in the right areas

Soldato
I've spoken to the BT FTTP team about my slower than expected upload speed, they said they'll raise it up and should be fixed within 48 hours.

Might mean I lose the extra 50mbps download but we'll see. Not the end of the world if so as the upload is at a bit more of a premium.

Associate
I'm due to have BT FTTP 900 installed on the 12 Aug, very excited :D.

I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of the Nokia ONT from a recent installation, I'm just trying to decide on the best location for the ONT. I've had a Google but most of the images are from when OR supplied the battery backup kit, so it looks quite bulky.

Soldato
The one installed in the property I looked at this week was only done a few weeks back and was still the HG8110H-20. I suppose it’s dependant on stock in each area as to when installs switch over.

Soldato

I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of the Nokia ONT from a recent installation, I'm just trying to decide on the best location for the ONT. I've had a Google but most of the images are from when OR supplied the battery backup kit, so it looks quite bulky.

Mine was installed about a month ago and looks like the one shown here -> https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.html

Taking a photo of mine is a bit awkward as it's hidden behind a desk. It's nice and small though, it measures approximately 11 x 14cm.

Associate
Mine was installed about a month ago and looks like the one shown here -> https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.html

Taking a photo of mine is a bit awkward as it's hidden behind a desk. It's nice and small though, it measures approximately 11 x 14cm.

That is the Huawai one then. The Nokia one is about 8cm x 8cm but is deeper than the Huawai. Nokia one is a great size for the UK / Europe as its same as a standard wall plate. There is also a third manufacturers coming soon, whose name escapes me (its not ECI, the 50,000 ECI ones they rolled out are going to be removed at some point).

Soldato

How do you know your getting a Nokia ONT mine is a Huawei one, from what i know its decided by what the OLT is at the cabinet.

Soldato
That is the Huawai one then. The Nokia one is about 8cm x 8cm but is deeper than the Huawai. Nokia one is a great size for the UK / Europe as its same as a standard wall plate. There is also a third manufacturers coming soon, whose name escapes me (its not ECI, the 50,000 ECI ones they rolled out are going to be removed at some point).

D'oh. The Openreach engineer said he was installing a Nokia one but I didn't actually look at the manufacturers name.

Soldato
Turns out that BT switched me back to the wrong product and the wrong pricing. Wanted to switch to the Fibre 300 with halo but my bite price was £40 and the best they could do that for was £45.

Instead they now have to go and hook me back up with the Fibre 100 with halo for £32.99 a month, as well as fix my speed up so I get the 30mbps upload. They had me on the Fibre 100 without Halo for £29.99 which wasn't what I was originally contracted on at all.

So all that means I'll sit tight for now, current contract ends in Feb so i'll revisit it by then, hopefully some more keen pricing as more competition enters the market.

Associate

On rereading that noticed something that sticks out - 'ADTRAN’s SDX platform will enable Openreach to economically scale its GPON and XGS-PON network'. That indicates Openreach has decided its going to be XGS-PON for its 10G rollout; the Nokia kit they are also using is also XGS-PON capable. Guess this means that 10G symmetrical trials might happen some point in the next few years.

Associate
Hi all,
Is anyone here using a g.fast FTTC service?
I am mid contract with Talktalk for standard FTTC at 60mbit.
At the new address they offer the 'Faster150' service & I can upgrade to this without penalty by taking on a new contract.

Just wanted to ask if anyone had any problems with it - line instability etc?
I currently use a TPlink VDSL router which I think will no longer work, but still have the Talktalk branded one which should.

Back
Top Bottom