£60 budget what sound card?

Soldato
OP
What motherboard are you using?

Some modern motherboards have fairly decent onboard sound, it might not actually be worth spending in that price range on a soundcard.
Oh its an old skt 1150 matx , only used for playing movies and listening to music but , I love the oomph the Asus puts out.

Soldato
Other thing to check. Settings. Has, for example, Dolby Headphone or gaming mode been turned on and you don't like it? If you right click on the volume control at the bottom left of the screen is 'spatial sound' turned off? A particularly awful combination would be Dolby Headphone turned on in the soundcard settings and one of the spatial settings also turned on.

Soldato
OP
Other thing to check. Settings. Has, for example, Dolby Headphone or gaming mode been turned on and you don't like it? If you right click on the volume control at the bottom left of the screen is 'spatial sound' turned off? A particularly awful combination would be Dolby Headphone turned on in the soundcard settings and one of the spatial settings also turned on.
Will check that out later, thanks.

Soldato
OP
Strix Soar/Raid Pro have horrible for headphone use 100 ohm output impedance.

Creative has B-stock Sound BlasterX G6 for £70, though its out of stock at the moment.
That's very good price for the hardware.
Think this is what I will go for.

C64

C64

Soldato
installed the x ae5 plus today it's very very good look out for them bstock around £90 well worth it too
The plus has dts and dolby digital the non plus version doesn't

I don't need an external dac or amp really now as this sounds better than the schiit magni and dx (more likely the dx) as all my listening is done by the pc will use the schiit magni for consoles
can definitely confirm the x Ae5 plus is quality i'm on low gain and the hd 650 and fidelio sound good i'll get around to high gain on the 650 later.

I'm running it without the molex power cable it says its required for the rgb strip but im not interested in that at all but i think i read might sound better on molex as cleaner power delivery not sure on that yet

it's almost too much how good it is same thing as the xg6 innards is it ? sounds superb

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Strix Soar/Raid Pro have horrible for headphone use 100 ohm output impedance.

Creative has B-stock Sound BlasterX G6 for £70, though its out of stock at the moment.
That's very good price for the hardware.
They are back in stock at £70 so ordered one.

Back
Top Bottom