Poll: Steiermark Grand Prix 2020, Spielberg - Race 2/?

Rate the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (2) out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I can't see RB going for Vettel, the main reason is $$$. I'm sure Vet would take a massive pay cut to stay on the grid, even 50% or more would be possible, as RB, if they wanted him, could get him for cheap knowing they are his only 'option'.

Would they want to though?? They know by now they still don't have a winning car in normal conditions and they have a known, and compliant, quantity in Albon. Vettel has been known for not playing well with teammates ans also is nowhere near as strong a driver as he used to be either - he just makes too many mistakes!

RB didn't want to spend $20m on Riciardo so I don't think they would even offer Vettel $20m either. RB overplayed their hand with respect to Riciardo, Marko didn't want to give him what he asked for and they are still trying to deal with the consequences - I find that hilarious(not a fan of Marko fyi)!

Max wouldn't be scared of him, I don't think he's scared of anyone being his teammate, but would he be a de-stabilising force in the team?? Possibly..

Caporegime
I wouldnt write off Albon just yet, he has had a poor start to this season but I think he did very well last season since he got promoted.

I think he only looks good in comparison to Gasly's struggles. He was well off Max's pace last season as well; and I won't be surprised to see him lapped by Max at some point. And, sure, Max is one hell of a comparison mark to meet but the gap currently looks like the biggest of any driver pairing.

But that does bring a problem, if not Albon then who.

George Russell.

Yeah, it would make a mockery of the Red Bull young driver programme and he's come through the Mercedes system but they've only held a one year rolling contract on him so he should be able to get out of that. He's easily the best driver without a decent seat and since Mercedes are closing the door on a 2021 drive for him I can see him getting impatient for a proper seat to get him away from that dog of a Williams. I doubt he has an performance exit clause on his three year contract, but I can't see buying it out being beyond Red Bull - and likely still way cheaper than bringing back Vettel - and with Williams well publicised financial troubles could they really afford to say no?

Caporegime
I think he only looks good in comparison to Gasly's struggles. He was well off Max's pace last season as well; and I won't be surprised to see him lapped by Max at some point. And, sure, Max is one hell of a comparison mark to meet but the gap currently looks like the biggest of any driver pairing.

George Russell.

Yeah, it would make a mockery of the Red Bull young driver programme and he's come through the Mercedes system but they've only held a one year rolling contract on him so he should be able to get out of that. He's easily the best driver without a decent seat and since Mercedes are closing the door on a 2021 drive for him I can see him getting impatient for a proper seat to get him away from that dog of a Williams. I doubt he has an performance exit clause on his three year contract, but I can't see buying it out being beyond Red Bull - and likely still way cheaper than bringing back Vettel - and with Williams well publicised financial troubles could they really afford to say no?
I suppose it depends how much loyalty he has to Mercedes and Toto. How long will he wait? If Bottas does get signed for 2021 as expected will Toto be telling George the seat is his in 2022? Three years is a long time to wait, and if Williams gets sold whoever buys may want their own driver pairing in. George is in a sticky situation, one which I can’t imagine he’s happy with at all.

Caporegime
I suppose it depends how much loyalty he has to Mercedes and Toto.

In the end it's a business relationship. I doubt Mercedes are going to blacklist him for going to Red Bull; after all if McLaren can take Alonso back after Spygate then anything is possible!

How long will he wait? If Bottas does get signed for 2021 as expected will Toto be telling George the seat is his in 2022? Three years is a long time to wait, and if Williams gets sold whoever buys may want their own driver pairing in. George is in a sticky situation, one which I can’t imagine he’s happy with at all.

If the Williams was able to battle for places, then it wouldn't be so bad. But as it is, it's not like he's gaining valuable experience of close midfield battles and, honestly, it showed in his mistake last weekend. To develop as a driver he needs a better car. Going to Red Bull and hoping they nail 2022 seems like a far better option that trundling round for another year at the back. Really Russell's only current hope of anything is a wet race; the car is at least close enough to allow him to challenge in tricky conditions.

Soldato
and if Williams gets sold whoever buys may want their own driver pairing in.
I doubt, in the first year, they would switch engine supplier (even if they could... not sure what the contract is like between williams and merc), but I'm sure the engine supplier could apply a bit of pressure at least for the first year. If I was George 100% I'd be happy to wait to get into the merc come 2022. At the moment he can make mistakes and not get a roasting like he would in the hot seat.

Soldato
:D

sita40pnmza51.png

Caporegime
If I was George 100% I'd be happy to wait to get into the merc come 2022. At the moment he can make mistakes and not get a roasting like he would in the hot seat.

If there were some solid guarantees he'd get the seat in 2022, maybe. But it's not like he has a signed contract on that or even any promises from Mercedes. He'd be mad to turn down a decent seat for the hope of one at Mercedes if he has the option. As for being able to make mistakes, that's true, but he's also not really learning anything right now. Even a seat in an Alfa Romeo or Ferrari would give him experience battling in the midfield. He needs to get experience of battling for position, defending and overtaking, not just trundling round the track.

Back
Top Bottom