awful sound with sound cards on Windows 10

Soldato
Hi guys , I have a Asus Xonar Essence STX in the main pc and a Creative X-FI for the laptop. Sound from both was bang on until a couple of weeks ago but now both sound really tinny. Reinstalled Windows on both thinking it may fix it but , the sound remains really bad. Any ideas as pulling my hair out here.

Soldato
Have both Asus Essence ST and Asus Essence STX in separate machines, using Asus drivers. Not noticed any changes sound from the cards, upgraded to latest version of windows.

Man of Honour
I have a Soundblaster Z on the latest version of Windows 10 and when I got the latest update it messed up the sound. I had to remove all traces of the Creative driver and software and reinstall them but it got the sound back to normal.

Soldato
If the sound is fine when using the headphones with other audio devices, then it's unlikely the headphones are the problem.

Could be the Windows 10 update causing a problem. I've lost count the amount of times I've seen someone say a W10 update has mucked up their sound. Could be that or it could be just a coincidence both developed a problem at the same time, but I would have thought the chances of that happening are pretty remote, given the issue is the same with both.

If it's a Windows problem, would a new sound card be any different?

Soldato
OP
It appears to be an issue when using headphones that have noise cancelling chip in. Full analogue headphones no issues.

Soldato
Interesting. Can the ANC be turned off with those Bose headphones? and if so, does that make any difference.

Is the ANC a necessity for when using headphones with PC?

If not, you might have to look at getting or using other headphones for PC use and use the Bose headphones for other things.

Soldato
i have an stx II 2 yearsago i was issues with it and gave up and removed it. recently found out asus released new drivers late last year and i dusted off the card and gave it a try and its working zero issues. for me

as for the anc head phones issue that is a new one i was hoping to get either a sony or bose one to use with the stx 2

doc

doc

Associate
Win10 monthly patch quality has been terrible since they fired their QA team and started using AI instead.

There's lots of known issues on Win10 2004 with Conexant audio devices, it wouldn't be a stretch for them to break something else.

Time to do a clean uninstall of everything and start again!

Soldato
2004 broke the drivers for my Soundblaster AE-9. No ability to switch between speakers and headphones without everything crashing. A driver update seems to have solved the issue for me. I’m hoping that’s the end of it.

Associate
2004 has caused many issues, worst update they have done in years, it killed all my audio
i ended up downloading a fresh install from ms site and installing it
i gave up letting it do the update
not sure if its relevant but mine was fighting with the amd drivers (windows provided ones and amd ones)
tho it was not tinny, just crackling for me, you can disable any audio devices you don't use, see if that helps
last time i had it sounding tinny i did not have enough ohm's the onboard should have been able to do 600ohm but the g6 was amazing upgrade

Soldato
Win10 monthly patch quality has been terrible since they fired their QA team and started using AI instead.
They should really start class action lawsuit against MS and its leaders who made that decision in US...
At least this time it would be actually from real thing instead of some nitpicking like usually.

Back
Top Bottom