Poll: What resolution do you game at and why?

What resolution do you game at? Post your reason why in the thread.

• 1080p60

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • 1080 high refresh

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • 1440p60

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • 1440 high refresh

Votes: 126 47.9%
  • 4K <60

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • 4K60

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • 4K high refresh

Votes: 8 3.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
3440x1440 mainly 50-60fps Gysnced.

Limited to 60fps max to maintain a steady refresh rate with a 1070.

Will increase the limit when I get approved for a mortgage to purchase a 4 series Nvidia card.

And yeh, no option in your poll for ultrawides.

Caporegime
2 options for me

3440x1440 144HZ for any shooter stuff generally and racing games and any other odd game which just works better with sitting at a desk and using M+K

2560x1440 60HZ on my OLED for every other type of game (simply because the IQ of OLED is vastly superior to any LCD display and controller + couch is far more comfy and relaxing)

Soldato
Similar to some others.

120hz @ 1440p on 4k OLED (waiting for next GEN GPUs with HDMI 2.1 which will allow output at least at 120hz @ 4k). Used for most my games as they can be played with pads more often then not.

3440 x 1440 @ 100hz is monitor on main desktop rig, used for those games which need KB&M specifically, MMO's and Turn based games etc.

Soldato
4k 120hz Acer XV273K

Many people will look at game reviews or gfx card reviews and see that 4k performance in fps as low. For an apples to apples comparison, ALL in game settings are set to max, even those you don't need and are predominately post processing options used to make lower resolutions look better. Using 4k you actually turn these OFF thus freeing up processing power.

Not all games will run all settings at very high/ultra settings. So some time spent going through the settings and finding which make a visual difference with relevance to performance impact is required for each individual game, thus some fettling to get the best image quality you can @ 4k and close to 120hz/120fps. If you get a game, turn everything to ultra then you are doing it wrong, that is for 1080p and below. SOme settings like motion blur too, are switched off. Film grain, another one for me.

I still prefer 4k at lower settings at 120hz than I would 1440p @ 120hz on ultra as often, particularly for shooter games you don't have time to study the detail. Games like WItcher 3 then you want IQ above fps.

I play insurgency sandstorm, Squad and Post Scriptum as my online MP shooters and can get them all at +100-120fps (with some drops in certain busy map areas etc). I also play single player games and recently picked up Control and that game I struggle to get anywhere near 100fps and it feels like 60fps (No ingame FPS either in game or Epic launcher).

Still only running a 1080ti - the 2080ti is ~20% more perf and not worth double the money for 20% performance. I'll see what the next iteration of cards are like from both parties and price and may get a new card this gen but will wait and see, particularly on prices. The same to be said for monitors and now TV's that are 4k high hz - they are expensive.

4k was an image quality game hanger as are high refresh rates. Give me 4k (8.3M pixels) 120hz on lower settings over 1440p (3.7M pixels) 120hz on higher settings any day.

Just my view and opinion. We'll all be 4k 120hz+ with OLED quality in a few years and it'll be the norm.

Soldato
No option for ultrawide, so I voted for 1440 high refresh

My monitor is 3440x1440 @ 100hz + freesync

Couldn't go back to 16:9, it just feels too cramped, 29" is too small, and 2560x1080 is too pixelated on a 34" screen, so here we are!

I only upgraded to the 100hz ~4 months ago actually, but can definitely tell the difference in smoothness when dropping down to a slower monitor.

I did consider 120/144hz, but I would have needed a GPU upgrade to actually utilise it properly, so would have been a bit of a waste really (as it is I'm running most games at decent settings and hitting the 100fps).

For the budget it was basically a trade-off between slightly higher refresh or HDR, and I'm loving the HDR (when games support it properly).

Soldato
OP
@Woodsta888 - there don’t seem to be many / any OLED monitors on the market that are <=30” and have a high refresh rate. I know some people are using the 48” LG CX as monitor but that’s way too big for me as I only sit about a metre away from my monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Woodsta888 - there don’t seem to be many / any OLED monitors on the market that are <=30” and have a high refresh rate. I know some people are using the 48” LG CX as monitor but that’s way too big for me as I only sit about a meter away from my monitor.

Oh yeah, you are correct, I didn't mean to sound like they are available now, but in the future, the norm will be OLED quality 4k 120hz AND hopefully panel sizes that suit a desk and associated sitting distances. Yes the smallest OLED is 48 inch currently. Phone screens are OLED but arent the same OLED tech I think, of which many not of the OLED quality we are talking about / wish for.

Good recent write up here https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/oled.htm concerning OLED in the PC market etc, pro's & cons etc. A good in depth read.

Last edited:
Associate
I was 1080p 120hz for many years. Then switched to 4k 60hz with a GPU upgrade, I found that I really missed the high refresh rate and sold it not long after with the mind of saving towards an Ultrawide with a high refresh rate.

In the meantime my old 1080p panel broke, so I nabbed a decent deal on a 1080p 240hz as a replacement to bide me over. But alas, full time child care costs have gotten in the way so I've been stuck with it since.

I might just use it for as long as possible and put some money in a pot for a nice upgrade in a few years.

In all seriousness though high refresh rate has spoiled me, I don't think I can go back to 60hz, I imagine the move to an ultrawide will do the same.

Soldato
I was 1080p 120hz for many years. Then switched to 4k 60hz with a GPU upgrade, I found that I really missed the high refresh rate and sold it not long after with the mind of saving towards an Ultrawide with a high refresh rate.

In the meantime my old 1080p panel broke, so I nabbed a decent deal on a 1080p 240hz as a replacement to bide me over. But alas, full time child care costs have gotten in the way so I've been stuck with it since.

I might just use it for as long as possible and put some money in a pot for a nice upgrade in a few years.

In all seriousness though high refresh rate has spoiled me, I don't think I can go back to 60hz, I imagine the move to an ultrawide will do the same.

Ultrawide really is the business.

Never want to go back to 16:9.

In fact, when I fired up my PS4 a few weeks ago, even on a 50" TV, it felt really constrained, and less enjoyable.

Soldato
Dell 27" 1440P 144hz Gsync. <snip> If I had to make the same choice now it would still be a 1440p 144hz screen but one of the Freesync/Gsync ones so I would not be tied to a single GPU manufacturer.

This. Some games don't need it such as Civ.
The price of changing the monitor just to use AMD/Freesync isn't worth the outlay over sticking with Nvidia (I would keep this monitor as a 2nd screen rather than sell it)

Soldato
What do you guys do when a game doesn't have ultrawide though? Put up with the black bars or find a hack to overcome it?

Most modern games without ultrawide these days have hacks or hex edits to overcome the lack of 21:9 support, or eventually get patched.

There aren't many games I play regularly without 21:9, struggling to think of any.

Boggles my mind that it's not standard for devs to have 21:9 support from scratch.

Evan Company of Heroes, one of my favourite games, has 21:9 support, and that was launched in 2006 for goodness' sake!

Back
Top Bottom