Sold Vehicle a week later turbo issues

sold my van 2 weeks ago, for decent money
chap was really keen to buy it and was all done very easily

a week later turbo blows in it and causes catastrophic engine failure
hes not blaming me and i would not have sold it if any know faults were there i would have got them fixed

going to cost about 5k to put it right, im really feeling for him
should i offer anything in good will? or is it just a case of buyer beware

have a basic receipt to say sold as seen etc

really gutted for him

Man of Honour
As soon as you offer something you're opening yourself up to more ball ache down the line, if he wanted warranty he should have paid the extra from a dealer.

It's a crap situation but it is what it is.

Soldato
Just bad luck, unfortunately. It is a shame but put the shoe on the other foot; if I bought it and it blew up, I'd suck it up. Just one of those things.

There's no way of knowing what's going to break next and it might happen tomorrow, in a week or in a year. No point worrying about it and nor should the buyer expect some kind of magical car that never develops a fault.

They'll get it fixed, have a good vehicle and move on. :)

Caporegime
If anything, offering good-will could suggest that you were aware of the issue and now feeling a bit of guilt.

You don't want that can of worms opening up.

Also, I fail to see how even with a complete engine replacement it would cost £5k to sort, unless someone is planning to put in a brand new block at dealer labor rates!

Caporegime
Caveat Emptor. Who’s to know he hasn’t swapped the turbo? Or driven the nuts off it and not checked the oil? Sadly one of those things. It’s his van now.

Soldato
OP
tbf i am glad it did not go on me, but i do feel for the chap, 8 year old van with 50k on the clock has no guarantee of anything not breaking
i guess its a case of buyer beware
dont think hes the type to mess with the engine or do anything like that, he did have it lowered and a bodykit fitted and was picking it up from the place that did that when it broke down
had it a couple of years myself not used it much but it never skipped a beat

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Unlucky for him. Lucky for you! You even have a receipt.

Serves him right for lowering a van and putting a body kit on it :p

Soldato
tbf i am glad it did not go on me, but i do feel for the chap, 8 year old van with 50k on the clock has no guarantee of anything not breaking
i guess its a case of buyer beware
dont think hes the type to mess with the engine or do anything like that, he did have it lowered and a bodykit fitted and was picking it up from the place that did that when it broke down
had it a couple of years myself not used it much but it never skipped a beat
I wonder if this garage has anything to do with it.

Maybe they been ragging it round all week without him knowing.

Man of Honour
I wonder if this garage has anything to do with it.

Maybe they been ragging it round all week without him knowing.
Or they needed to replace a failing turbo on another customers van so swapped them over. It's a double win for them because they can charge the other customer for a "refurbished" turbo which cost them nothing, and then the second customer will be back in a few weeks for the same job.

Associate
Yeah, the addition to the story of modifying the van makes me rather dubious that there isn't a known reason why the turbo **** itself and took the engine with it.
Methinks he's not being honest, or perhaps he is and the garage doing the sick mods aren't!
Either way, not your problem!

Soldato
Unlucky for him. Lucky for you! You even have a receipt.

Serves him right for lowering a van and putting a body kit on it :p

:D Was thinking the same thing why would you lower a van + put a body kit on it.

Half these builders driving around with full vans have them lowered just from the sheer weight of the **** they carry.

Soldato
the modifications he was making, as commented, is a red flag, presumably he knew it was already mapped -

but, if new owner thought he had legitimately looked after the vehicle, just driven a few miles, and, that the problem was pre-existing+known,
you'd put your money with your mouth, and, get an independant report.

Back
Top Bottom