4790k H81M upgrade or not

RLC

RLC

Associate
Hi guys,

My current PC has:
I7 4790k CPU with NZXT Kraken M22 watercooler
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H Micro ATX mobo (full sized case now though)
KFA2 RTX 2070 Super GPU
2X8Gb 1600MHz DDR3 corsair RAM
500Gb SSD Boot drive
1.5TB HDD Storage
Current monitor is a Samsung CF791 34" 100Hz monitor (with the unusual resolution of 3440x1440)

I use it mostly for gaming (War Thunder, Metro Exodus, RDR, Mordhau, Civ VI and Modern Warfare when it's not breaking my HDD!) and general internetting and YouTube watching. But I also use it for work on Word/PowerPoint and occasional photo and video editing as a hobby.

I've got a budget of around £500-600 that I could reasonably drop right now and plenty of things I can think of to treat myself with eg a good computer chair to replace the dining chair I use, a squat rack, punch bag and more weights for garage gym, fixing the annoying rattle on my car or upgrading the PC.

I was thinking of maybe splashing a reasonable amount on a decent motherboard and then get an mid-to-lowish end CPU with the idea of getting a beefier one in a year or two. when my cash is flusher.

What do you guys reckon? Is it worth upgrading seeing as most of the games run fine although not all on full settings.

I'm not particularly concerned with Intel or AMD either.

Soldato
Simple question... does it feel slow or not do what you want it to do. Can you live with it being on 'lower settings' for a while longer.

Not only is now a bad time to be buying due to shortages and price hikes, there are newer cpu's/gpu's coming out soon too.

From a personal perspective spending what you have now on a 'low end' upgrade is probably a false economy, especially as you haven't factored in you'll need ram too.

Man of Honour
If you're happy for now, then I'd come back in 6 months. A low-end, mid-range CPU would be a sidegrade and like already said, current prices are poop.

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
Not it doesn't feel slow, it'd just be a vanity upgrade essentially (want a new shiny to poke).

So I'll stick it out. Thanks for the advice you two. I'll stick some in a savings account so I don't spend it and then in a little while 'll have an idea of a budget.

As for the prices: gym equipment is shocking atm too. Squat racks have over doubled in price on Amazon! :eek:

Might go for a chair for the computer. Keep seeing Secret Lab advertised on there. I'm 6'2" and according to them that means I need the more expensive :( Titan

Associate
I'd stick it out, a cpu change isn't likely to bump up your gaming performance that much, I might consider keeping an eye out for SSD deals to replace the HDD which might make some things feel snappier

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
Does the H81 chipset allow overclocking? Just you have a decent cooler, and most 4790Ks will do 4.5GHz without a sweat, sometimes 4.7 upwards if a good one.

EDIT No, it doesn't, apparently...
Yeah I'd already looked at that.

Maybe I could get a second hand Z97 mobo from eBay if I wanted to play with that

Back
Top Bottom