** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Caporegime
Just received my 32" G7 through work today......had a quick whirl on it on my lunch break, 240hz, Fastest (MBR) and Adaptive Sync Off and had no flicker at all so far when playing COD....but I only had about 20 mins with it...from what I played, im VERY impressed with it....but I've yet to really test it out yet.

Nice. Enjoy!! :cool:

Associate
I've just had this monitor delivered but I am struggling to get to the full resolution with my R9 390.

I was under the impression that because the card could support my previous 4k 60hz display, it could power this display at full res. Any ideas?

Associate
I've just had this monitor delivered but I am struggling to get to the full resolution with my R9 390.

I was under the impression that because the card could support my previous 4k 60hz display, it could power this display at full res. Any ideas?
Are you using the DisplayPort?
Do you have the latest drivers?

Associate

Is this the G9 or G7? R9 390 is displayport 1.2. For both the G9 it should support full res but definitely not at 240hz. Unsure how you would get it to connect at full res at a suitable frame rate. Probably need to change settings in monitor OSD to lower hz manually.

Associate
g9 that i just ordered elsewhere this evening has now dispatched and due for delivery on friday so will keep yous posted on how i find it also hoping that everyone that has theres still preordered has a quick turnaround
Hopefully you have better luck than me. I payed the extra for next day delivery and it hasn’t even been picked up by yodel. The company in question has huge phone queues charged at 10ppm.

Associate
There are reports over on reddit that Samsung are recalling the G9! Not sure why or how that will work for customers who already have one (or even if it’s 100% true - although it sounds like it is).

Associate
Is this the G9 or G7? R9 390 is displayport 1.2. For both the G9 it should support full res but definitely not at 240hz. Unsure how you would get it to connect at full res at a suitable frame rate. Probably need to change settings in monitor OSD to lower hz manually.

G9, connected via DP.

I've manually lowered the refresh in the monitor and windows.

Associate
Is anyone bothering to update their firmware, do we know what issues it solves?

I'm trying to...but when I download the bin file from Samsung, unzip it and put the USB in the correct port in the back...it says it cant find the correct update file? Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: Fixed - it clearly doesn't like large USB Flash drives.

Last edited:
Associate

What is the exact model of your R9 390? What Displayport settings you have available on your monitor settings?

Is anyone bothering to update their firmware, do we know what issues it solves?
I did upgrade it, for some it has lowered or eliminated flickering completely, also I noticed my text become a bit more sharp/clear after upgrade.

Anyone that has a G7/G9 do you notice any ghosting on these displays? Also, when adaptive
sync is off and the fastest response time is selected, do you notice any tearing?
If I don't have FreeSync, I do notice tearing even on high FPS so VRR is a must feature for myself, will monitor situation the next 1-2 weeks how this will develop, I have occassional flickering.

I'm trying to...but when I download the bin file from Samsung, unzip it and put the USB in the correct port in the back...it says it cant find the correct update file? Anyone else have this issue?
Please test another USB port, if still doesn't help, ensure you have connected the cable from USB B to your PC.

Associate

Edit: Fixed - it clearly doesn't like large USB Flash drives.
Where exactly did you get the file? I can find it buts it’s not a bin file but an iso one, is this correct?

Associate
If I don't have FreeSync, I do notice tearing even on high FPS so VRR is a must feature for myself, will monitor situation the next 1-2 weeks how this will develop, I have occassional flickering.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I can't stand tearing, so VRR is a must for me too. I'm going to do the same and see if there is any positive news about the flickering situation - hopefully it will get fixed, else I think I'll get cold feet and cancel my order... I feel really sad writing that, but I don't see an alternative. I'm in the position where I really need a super wide or dual screens (preferably the former), but I also want a good gaming display. The G9 on paper ticks all of my boxes, it will be sad if it isn't able to do so in reality.

Associate
There are reports over on reddit that Samsung are recalling the G9! Not sure why or how that will work for customers who already have one (or even if it’s 100% true - although it sounds like it is).

Just been reading the latest - seems samsung have instructed at least one store to pull all the inventory and return to them. Sounds serious....... A shame though as 2 users with the LG38 said they would keep the G9!

Probably explains why Samsung UK and other places no longer know when they will get new stock due to a product recall.

Associate
Not noticed any flickering at all on mine what so ever.....although as im only running a GTX 980ti until the 3080ti comes out, I cant run HDR, max 144hz at this Res....and Gsync doesn't seem to be an option in the Nvidia control panel? So not the best test case ha

Associate
Not noticed any flickering at all on mine what so ever.....although as im only running a GTX 980ti until the 3080ti comes out, I cant run HDR, max 144hz at this Res....and Gsync doesn't seem to be an option in the Nvidia control panel? So not the best test case ha
What graphics card driver version are you using? I've read that some versions work better than others. It might be useful for those having issues with flickering to use the same version of the driver to see if that fixes it.

Associate
I don't have any flickering either if I disable adaptive sync so if you don't have adaptive sync, you should not see any flickering.

Back
Top Bottom