Banksy and his special status in the graffiti world

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53407715

Reading about the latest Banksy which was on a train and is it just me or are his 'artworks' becoming a bit trite?

So he had some good paintings in Bristol in his early days but now everything he does seems a bit too engineered/commissioned to me. Like the artistic equivalent of a panel show or something.

I recently had the side of my house spray painted with graffiti. Somebody committed a crime in my neighbourhood and the police ought to do something about it.

Does Banksy get a free pass for being a national treasure?

Man of Honour
The large tag ruined it imo, if it was just the stencils/masks I'd consider keeping it for the attraction but I believe this goes against TFL's zero tolerance stance on graffiti.

Hopefully it wasn't too difficult to clean.

Man of Honour
He has talent. But so do many other people. I'm genuinely confused as to why his work is worth so much. It's bizarre and has a touch of the Emperors New Clothes.

Soldato
Don't mention the war - I'm expecting to see the other new art piece, too, to similarly disappear tonight ? the mayor made the right call.

The banksy New York exhibition was good ? when he failed to sell some on the market, but, nonetheless, the grafitti pieces are a very accessible art form.

edit : and this should still be on a stamp

49864175417_963cf51a9f_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of his stuff can be thought provoking, such as the child playing with a NHS worker doll. However, that tag is just as much pointless vandalism as any other tag.

I like how on the BBC they explain that the tag is the same colour as a face mask. That's the most tenuous link I've heard in a while, the last thing I think when seeing that tag is "oh, it's the same colour as a disposable face mask".

Back
Top Bottom