HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
I thought the capacitive touch was for sensing opening and closing of fingers for grabbing things such are robots in Robo Recall?

No, to grab in robo recall you have to physically press the grip button.

The capacitive touch basically gives you more finger presence, resting your finger on the thumb stick will give your hand a closed thumb for example... you can then easily give a thumbs up by lifting it off.

It’s definitely better to have than not have, but like I said I have yet to actually play a game where it would matter from a gameplay perspective. The index controllers are the ones to beat when it comes to finger tracking, and outside of a couple of niche demos there are no games that make actual use of it.

Re the tracking, here's a demo of G2. TLDR is that tracking is great, where it's a bit weaker than rift/quest is holding the controllers really close like in the boxing game. Worth a watch if you are worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4sXgxiBZ6U

Last edited:
Associate
@Zeeflyboy thanks. Yes I watched that video, my only concern there was he seems heavily biased towards WMR and it feels like maybe paid content.

That aside, thanks for explaining capacitive controls. Less of a concern there now. :)

Soldato
The sense of presence that the Touch and Index controller finger tracking adds is huge.

You really think so? In what games? Its something I occasionally notice when hanging around in rec room or that kind of thing, but its not something I ever notice in anything else and it has no real function other than watching your finger curl in and out.

Soldato
@Zeeflyboy thanks. Yes I watched that video, my only concern there was he seems heavily biased towards WMR and it feels like maybe paid content.

That aside, thanks for explaining capacitive controls. Less of a concern there now. :)

I can’t speak for sure of course, but I don’t think he is, if you’ve seen his other content he is just enthusiastic for VR and covers a whole range of hardware.

Soldato
You really think so? In what games? Its something I occasionally notice when hanging around in rec room or that kind of thing, but its not something I ever notice in anything else and it has no real function other than watching your finger curl in and out.

When I bought my CV1 I didn't know that the controllers had finger sensors, and I was utterly amazed by how it really gave you the feeling that you had actual hands in VR, rather than just holding a controller.

Of course it's mainly for immersion, but there are gameplay uses. Mainly pressing buttons, making fists to hit things, etc.

In the Oculus intro First Contact you can wave at the robot and it waves back. In MP games you can finger point, wave and give thumbs up gestures. Finger pointing is very useful in co-op games like From Other Suns, where you can point at maps, etc. when discussing tactics. In conjunction with IK arms it can make for a realistically animated MP avatar. See Echo Arena for how well this works.

The Index controllers take it to the next level, but I don't find the extra finger tracking much more useful over the Touch controllers implementation.

Soldato
When I bought my CV1 I didn't know that the controllers had finger sensors, and I was utterly amazed by how it really gave you the feeling that you had actual hands in VR, rather than just holding a controller.

Of course it's mainly for immersion, but there are gameplay uses. Mainly pressing buttons, making fists to hit things, etc.

In the Oculus intro First Contact you can wave at the robot and it waves back. In MP games you can finger point, wave and give thumbs up gestures. Finger pointing is very useful in co-op games like From Other Suns, where you can point at maps, etc. when discussing tactics. In conjunction with IK arms it can make for a realistically animated MP avatar. See Echo Arena for how well this works.

The Index controllers take it to the next level, but I don't find the extra finger tracking much more useful over the Touch controllers implementation.

None of those things you listed other than thumbs up relies on having capacitive touch though.

you make a fist by holding the grip And trigger button, you can point or push buttons by only holding the grip button and not the trigger button... you have an open hand to wave by not holding grip nor trigger.

I definitely agree it’s better to have than not, and it’s disappointing that they couldn’t have added it to the new controller... but I personally don’t think it will have any real impact on gameplay in anything other than a complete edge case.

Soldato
I definitely agree it’s better to have than not, and it’s disappointing that they couldn’t have added it to the new controller... but I personally don’t think it will have any real impact on gameplay in anything other than a complete edge case.

The gameplay difference is that you can make these gestures without physically pressing a button, so you can have proper hand presence without accidentally triggering other functionality.

Still we all have different priorities. Finger tracking is one of the things that makes VR so cool for me. I get that not everyone else feels that way.

Soldato
Cancelled my my overly quick pre-order, Looks good but sacrificing way too many things over my current Index for a slight visual upgrade, And in reality, Pun not intended, It is slight -

1. No touch controllers, As it is a WMR headset it can only use WMR controllers and they are horrible.

2. Smaller FoV, Roughly 110' vs the Index's 130', That 20' makes a huge difference.

3. The G2 is 90Hz, The Index can go up to 144Hz, This also makes a huge difference to the feel of a game.

4. No fully adjustable headband.

5. Tracking, 4 x cameras can only do so much compared to dedicated external tracking hardware with a huge field of view.

I'll get it probably next January just to play around with but for my main VR HMD the Index will remain.
No way I would get this if I had an index. I think it is looking a fab 1st vr headset to get or a good upgrade from CV1 or vive.

For only £125 over rift s (and rifts competing with quest) surely the rifts days are numbered unless it gets pay cut?

FOV apparently is a genuine 115 degrees (compared to G1 which had a totally made up 115;degrees) iirc rift CV1 was around 100 degrees and Vive almost 110.

I went from DK2 to CV1 and am hoping for a bigger jump up to G2 than from DK2 to CV1
I can't lie tho. I wish fov was a bit higher.

Last edited:
Soldato
No way I would get this if I had an index. I think it is looking a fab 1st vr headset to get or a good upgrade from CV1 or vive.

For only £125 over rift s (and rifts competing with quest) surely the rifts days are numbered unless it gets pay cut?

FOV apparently is a genuine 115 degrees (compared to G1 which had a totally made up 115;degrees) iirc rift CV1 was around 100 degrees and Vive almost 110.

I went from DK2 to CV1 and am hoping for a bigger jump up to G2 than from DK2 to CV1
I can't lie tho. I wish fov was a bit higher.

I have tried both the Index and the G1. Even though the G1 looks better than the Index (so the G2 should also), I agree that it wouldn't be worth an upgrade. It just doesn't look "better enough". -Kind of like the way the S looked better than the CV1, but not enough to get me to buy one when I had the CV1.

Associate
Are there any compatibility issues with the Reverb G1 (and therefore G2) with USB on motherboards in the same way the Rift S has (for some)? ie Do I need to order a USB3 PCI card, or am I good to go with whatever I have? Actually, looks like it ideally wants a USB C port so maybe worth buying a PCI card after all? Any recommendations?

edit: my MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard has a single USB-C Port on the back so looks like I should be able to just connect the headset straight onto that for power/connectivity.

Last edited:
Associate
The headset comes with a USBA adapter

I got this from Google.

"If you have a USB-C port that provides at least 6 watts of power, you can simply plug in the G2. If you have a lower-power port, you’ll need to use the included splitter and AC power adapter. You’ll also have to use something like that if you only have traditional USB 3 ports."

Soldato
I got this from Google.

"If you have a USB-C port that provides at least 6 watts of power, you can simply plug in the G2. If you have a lower-power port, you’ll need to use the included splitter and AC power adapter. You’ll also have to use something like that if you only have traditional USB 3 ports."
That's as maybe but it will still work and besides in that sense a PCIE usb card won't help you if that is the case

Soldato
I think the index is even more impressive when you consider that it goes up to 144hz and manages to pack in an extra 15 or so degrees FoV... clearly from that demo the G2 has stellar image quality but the index isn't miles behind considering its other advantages. If the prices were closer it would be a very hard decision!

It is worth bearing in mind that through the lens videos are very useful for comparison when you can't try the individual headsets but they don't fully capture what it's like to actually put the headset on. I haven't used a RiftS personally, but I did own a CV1 and I currently own a Quest... The Quest is similar resolution to the RiftS but due to the different screen technology (oled pentile vs rgb stripe LCD) the RiftS is supposed to be a little sharper and clearer than the Quest. I can say that the Quest is really quite usable in reality so it's probably the index and the G2 making the RiftS look bad by comparison rather than the RiftS just being straight up bad.

Back
Top Bottom