• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Given BT/OR's current rate of "progress", what's more likely to happen in 2025 is that Boris re-classifies anything over 500Kb as "superfast", to meet his pledge :p

Associate
When pre-orders go up, I want to see £399 for the digital edition and £499 for the disc edition.
Eat the costs on the DE sku by having people locked into your store, better returns for Sony on software which is the actual money maker for them, not the hardware.

Soldato
Anyone read anything about PlayStation Plus and whether PS4 games received as part of that are likely to work on the PS5?
Would have thought they’d ensure they’d test all those, or at least a fair chunk, alongside that ‘Top 100’ they spoke about for backwards compatibility?

Soldato
Anyone read anything about PlayStation Plus and whether PS4 games received as part of that are likely to work on the PS5?
Would have thought they’d ensure they’d test all those, or at least a fair chunk, alongside that ‘Top 100’ they spoke about for backwards compatibility?

They haven't said anything more about backwards compatibility. It seems likely though that the bigger/more popular games will be where the focus is. There's been some rubbish on PS+ over the years, no point optimising for games that few people will realistically want to go back and play.

Soldato
There has been some major over-reaction to backwards compatibility with PS4.
We know that the "top 100 games" will work out of the gate and that there seems no reason why the vast majority of PS4 games will not "just work" on the PS5.

Also worth remembering that unless the PS4 game has been patched to make use of the PS5 hardware, it will run in "PS4 Pro Compatibility Mode" on the PS5. There seems to be this idea that firing up any old game on the PS5 is going to result in a performance increase - it just doesn't work like that. Games aren't told to "use as much system resources as possible" - they are programmed with the limitations of the PS4/Pro hardware.
You're average PS4 game is going to run as well as it does on a PS4 Pro with a basic SSD on the PS5.
There will be some patched that can make use of the additional hardware and then there will be others that have a PS5 version released which may or may not be a free upgrade.

Caporegime
We know that the "top 100 games" will work out of the gate

Isn't that "top 100" games being tested in the native PS5 mode? So any games with dynamic resolution and wobbly/unlocked frame rates will stay at the upper resolution and hit a perfect 30/60fps. In theory. Then if a game doesn't behave in the PS5 mode, it'll drop back to PS4 Pro/PS4 compatible modes where necessary. Sony will presumably have a whitelist of what games can run in what mode according to all these tests they are performing up to launch. (Anything after July will have to run in PS5 mode.)

So if the games were coded well and Sony have done the BC engineering well, all games should run in PS5 mode. But yes, if they were locked 30fps and locked 1080p before, that's how they'll stay regardless what mode. It'll be interesting to see which games Microsoft select for special treatment in doubling 1080p to 4K and 30fps to 60fps with their solution. The only one we know so far is Gears of War Ultimate (1080p > 4K), frame rate unknown.

Soldato
PS4 games on the PS5 are going to call into three levels:

1. Compatible
2. Enhanced
3. Remade/New Version

So, the aim is for the top 1000 PS4 games (based on time played) to be 100% compatible with the PS5. That means you'll either be able to put your physical disc in, download the digital version from the store or purchase/download from the store.
When they say "compatible" they mean able to play the same on the PS5 as they do on the PS4/Pro. So if the game never had a Pro patch, it'll play as well as it does on a PS4. If there was a Pro patch, it'll play as well as it did on a Ps4 Pro.
The only difference being that if the game is installed onto the internal SSD, it will act as if you're using a PS4/Pro with an SSD installed.
By default, these compatible games will not be able to make use of the upgraded PS5 hardware - they are programmed with the PS4/Pro in mind and will be restricted - the PS5 effectively running in compatibility mode.

Those games that are enhanced will be able to make use of the additional PS5 Hardware - not necessarily all of it, all depends on how the game is enhanced. There wa a demo from some time ago of Spider-Man playing on a PS5 and making full use of the super fast SSD in the PS5. That will happen so long as the patch that enhances the game for PS5 is released and it wasn't just a tech demo for the new SSD.
It's obviously up to the individual software company to decide if they want to enhance their older games - Cyberpunk for example is confirmed to have PS5 enhancements at launch.

Then we finally have the remade/new version category. So Cyberpunk releases on PS4 on 20th November. At the PS5 launch there will be an enhanced version and then a year later there will be a PS5 version, which we are told will be a free upgrade.
AC Valhalla has a PS4 launch, there has been no confirmation on enhancements for the PS5, however confirmation that a Ps5 version will launch and users will get a free upgrade.

Caporegime
Exactly... if people are that bothered then they would just keep a PS4 in the loft and dust it off to play their 5 year old game!

I haven't got room to have 53 consoles plugged in! I keep the PS3 and get it out occasionally but it's more mither than its worth. My PS4 has already been reserved by a family member for a Christmas present as well. :p Besides, the PS4 games will get a nice boost to loading with the SSD.

Soldato
Respectfully, @stoofa, I think you're wrong about unpatched games not being able to use the full PS5 power. I'll hold my hands up if you are right but I think not.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
But you cannot expect a game to suddenly be able to make use of additional hardware - the game would be a complete and utter mess and unplayable.
The game is coded to use the Jaguar CPU, along with the 8GB RAM, the graphics card - it will load in assets at pre-determined times based upon the capabilities of the hardware. The games are hard coded to only allow things to happen at certain times, to wait for things to load in.
That same code cannot suddenly run as fast as it liked on much more powerful hardware.

I am 99% sure that unpatched PS4 games will play no better on a PS5 than they do on a PS4 Pro - as unpatched, they simply run in "PS4 Pro compatibility mode" which will be hard capped to the specification of said console.

V F

V F

Soldato
Given BT/OR's current rate of "progress", what's more likely to happen in 2025 is that Boris re-classifies anything over 500Kb as "superfast", to meet his pledge :p

I remember playing Quake 3 with Americans in 1999 and thinking, I'll have cable like you guys in a few years. Then it was 2016.

Sometimes I really envy kids who is getting fast broadband (100+) right now when they're only 8 - 16 by the time crazy speeds gets delivered when they'll be in their 20's.

Soldato
I remember playing Quake 3 with Americans in 1999 and thinking, I'll have cable like you guys in a few years. Then it was 2016.

Sometimes I really envy kids who is getting fast broadband (100+) right now when they're only 8 - 16 by the time crazy speeds gets delivered when they'll be in their 20's.
I'm not sure it things have changed much, I'm 34 and have 200 mb, say the average game is 100gb (for simplicity), I remember having Adsl and an 8mb connection at 16 or so and I reckon the average size then would have been around 5 (although patches were a lot rarer then, almost as if working games were released:D). Surely the next limit will be capacity, I can't see speeds going up by a factor of 10 (and game sizes) in the next 15 years, at least not with substantial sad cost/capacity improvements.

Caporegime
I guess we'll have to wait and see.
But you cannot expect a game to suddenly be able to make use of additional hardware - the game would be a complete and utter mess and unplayable.
The game is coded to use the Jaguar CPU, along with the 8GB RAM, the graphics card - it will load in assets at pre-determined times based upon the capabilities of the hardware. The games are hard coded to only allow things to happen at certain times, to wait for things to load in.
That same code cannot suddenly run as fast as it liked on much more powerful hardware.

I am 99% sure that unpatched PS4 games will play no better on a PS5 than they do on a PS4 Pro - as unpatched, they simply run in "PS4 Pro compatibility mode" which will be hard capped to the specification of said console.

So why is what you are saying applying to the PS5 but on Xbox Series X, it’s what I am saying?

Soldato
Hmm couple of weeks ago I was like 100% getting this on day one but now I'm not so sure.

I've started to tinker with my PC a bit and started to enjoy gaming on it again.

Was also going to get the Xbox series X but that has now been completely threw out the window seeing how game pass works on PC.

Games will still be using last generation engine's so games like Spiderman will be running at 30FPS 4k.

The only thing that's peaved me off on PC is display choices. Seems 2K is the sweet spot and even then it's a mind Field.

Just traded in my Xbox x and elite pad while prices are still semi decent so I now have no consoles.

Anyway it's will allow a bit of time to let the dust settle and there might be a few special edition's that are not white.

Saying that once the hype train gets going I might be hanging off the back of it lol.

Soldato
So why is what you are saying applying to the PS5 but on Xbox Series X, it’s what I am saying?

It applies to both.

If you are playing an Xbox 360 game which was designed to run at 720p and 30fps, it'll still run at 720p and 30fps on Series X. There are a few differences. The Series X should be more than powerful enough to lock 720p/30fps, whereas on the original hardware dynamic resolution and variable frame rates may have been used. BC games will also benefit from the SSD (loading times & quick resume) and will have HDR applied on the fly (not sure PS5 is doing this).

However, Xbox also has a smaller set of "enhanced" BC games. These games have been worked on to increase resolution and frame rate, in some cases with new assets added. On PlayStation, they call this a "remaster" and charge £30 for it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The only thing that's peaved me off on PC is display choices. Seems 2K is the sweet spot and even then it's a mind Field.

just on the off chance this wasn't a typo, you know the expression is 'mine field', right? :p

Any way, I've been tinkering with my PC more recently as well. With DLSS 2.0 looking so good, I'm really hankering after a new graphics card that can support it, but would be waiting for lower/mid range new nvidia cards. However, I do think that the PS5 is going to be pretty damn special and I can't see myself resisting buying on tbh!

Back
Top Bottom