Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Soldato
It has side quests, the guy talks about them with the devs on the video I linked (they mention a side quest involving a little girl and her horse), its just that you have to "find" the side quests yourself via exploration rather than having a traditional ? marker on the map which you run to and then on to the next ? marker and the next etc.

That sounds interesting.

Makes exploration something worth doing, which is obviously the intent.

Man of Honour
That sounds interesting.

Makes exploration something worth doing, which is obviously the intent.

Indeed, one of the most common complaints levelled at Ubisoft games (and Witcher actually had the exact same mechanic) was that you look at the map, its covered in dozens and dozens of ? makers and you just go around the map from marker to marker. I'm guessing this is their first pass on attempting to address that by not having ? markers all over the map and saying "ok, so you dont like the ? marks everywhere, fair enough, we'll have the content out there and its up to you to go to it and if you end up missing some stuff, so be it"

Soldato
They'll hide it all and then release a DLC along the lines of 'Heimdall's Map' or some such nonsense where you can pay £4.99 and have all the side quests and other POIs marked again

Man of Honour
They'll hide it all and then release a DLC along the lines of 'Heimdall's Map' or some such nonsense where you can pay £4.99 and have all the side quests and other POIs marked again

If they do, then thats more of a statement on the attitudes of gamers than the companies providing such a feature.

Soldato
Please Ubi, pleaseeeee no checklist gaming to the extent you usually do and PLEASEEEE decent 'dungeons', you made great progress in AC:Origins, but totally fell flat on your face with them in Odyssey.

Underboss
anyone feel the series has lost its way a bit ? have they completely dismissed the assasin aspect ? it looks like a witcher 3 clone in some aspects

Yeah agreed after watching the videos above it could easily be mistaken from TW3 tbh.

It's very bright not sure what settings it's running but it almost looks cartoon like, nothing a decent reshade won't be able to fix however.

Man of Honour
anyone feel the series has lost its way a bit ? have they completely dismissed the assasin aspect ? it looks like a witcher 3 clone in some aspects

Not me, I actually feel the opposite. The AC games had become extraordinarily stale, the most common thing said about them was that they needed to change, they went away and changed it came back with something more akin to whats regarded by many as one of the greatest PC games of all time (Witcher).

I own every AC game ever released and I didnt consider a single one of them to be my game of the year at their releases, until AC Origins (which was my goty) and then AC Odyssey (which was also my goty). I never 100%'d any AC game, until Origins and Odyssey, but 100%'d both of them. I never played any AC game for 100+ hours until Origins and Odyssey, but did over 100 hours in both of those.

Now, admittedly, Origins and Odyssey arent very AC-like and frankly could have been a whole new IP but as games I think they are both far superior to the previous AC games.

Soldato
Spoiler warning just in case. I have not watched the whole video, though. Is it just me or is the contrast a bit off in certain areas? It looks really dark where it doesn't need to be.

Man of Honour
Spoiler warning just in case. I have not watched the whole video, though. Is it just me or is the contrast a bit off in certain areas? It looks really dark where it doesn't need to be.

Does seem a little bit off but they streamed it via the Parsec application and I've heard a few who played that it caused several graphical issues and effects. Someone even said that shadows and textures were affected by streaming it through Parsec, so it may well be that it looks fine when we get to play it rather than seeing it running through a 3rd party streaming app

Man of Honour
I'm watching the videos and automatically can't help but compare the movement/graphics and overall combat etc to TLOU: Part 2 and how it just doesn't seem like it will be my bag because it does not seem to be anywhere as polished or detailed as that game. The colours also look very oversaturated in many areas and I also noticed grass/foliage fade in/out. I don't think this will be a game I consider buying.

LOU2 has set the benchmark way too high for me now :/

Man of Honour
Not sure about this yet, wasn't super into origins and reviews are saying it is similar.

Makes sense, I imagine that most commonly it will be the case that someone who liked Origins and Odyssey will like Valhalla and someone who didnt like Origins and Odyssey wont like Valhalla either.

Soldato
A lot of people think Black Flag was the best AC.

Both Origins and Odyssey where good but Origins was better. Better combat and not too much 'content' which they added to Odyssey which didn't really add to the game.

Go A fetch/kill B return. Over and over. Fun... but a bit pointless.

Also the weapons. There is no variety. Every weapon has the same stats. I want find weapons with differences in stats etc...

Associate
Both Origins and Odyssey where good but Origins was better. Better combat and not too much 'content' which they added to Odyssey which didn't really add to the game.

While I hugely enjoyed both games, Origins felt much better in many ways with greater variance in map areas and weapons. Origins with the branching dialogue and Cult investigation lifted from Odeyssey would have been absolutely superb.

Tentatively excited for Valhalla, but will wait to see.

Edit: Personally I couldn't get into Black Flag despite really wanting to, just felt like I was playing AC1/2/3 again.

Man of Honour
Black flag was one of my favourite games of all time, but then it was basically a pirate simulator. There was something quite special about capturing one of the biggest ships while all hell is going on around you. The legendary boss ships were also an unusual challenge.

I really enjoyed Origins, mainly due to the setting and decision elements, perhaps odyssey slightly less so due to it getting a little more repetitive, but I’m enjoying the new direction they are taking.

I’ll no doubt buy this on day 1. They are great games for switching off to.

Back
Top Bottom