How do you deal with substandard cutlery when dining out?

gEd

gEd

Associate
If I'm eating at a cheap place, I expect cheap cutlery.
If I'm eating at an expensive place, I expect expensive cutlery.
If I'm eating at a friends house, I'll use whatever they give me and be grateful for the food and for their company.
Some people have cheap cutlery because they either don't have the money to spend on more expensive stuff or they think life is too short to spend their hard-earned money on relatively frivolous things and would rather save the money towards more interesting things like holidays.

Me? I bought a set of hand-forged cutlery from Ikea 25 years ago and love it. The knives are as blunt as they come which is why I have a set of lovely steak knives for when you actually need a sharp knife to eat with.

Soldato
I've noticed poor cutlery, and sometimes forks that were too sharp, but the thing I dislike is when you have to keep the same cutlery between courses. Such a basic thing for a restaurant to get right I would have thought.

Soldato
What annoys me most when I eat out is seeing all the elbows on tables

I see this too. The standards of manners have dropped substantially in the past few decades.

I’ve thankfully never had any issues with cutlery. If a restaurant is skimping on a basic such as cutlery then I’d dread to think what corners have been cut with the food. (Ahem!)

Soldato
I like to eat with cutlery that hasn't been used to de-smeg the Chef's salami, which is why I wouldn't complain about the quality of cutlery in a restaurant. If I cared for quality cutlery that badly, I'd bring my own in a little Tupperware tub.

Caporegime
I do actually like heavy cutlery. It's one of the things I bought for new house. I believe it was Robert welch bud.

But no way would I ask for heavier cutlery at a restaurant

And if someone came over and made any noise about that at my house? They wouldn't be coming over again

Back
Top Bottom