**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
I hope not after paying £100 fo a game
I think anyone paying £100 and viewing it as a game will be dissapointed, as a proper flight simulator with the amount of content included it seems a bargain as long as the quality is as good as promised. You'd be looking at many times that amount if you were to buy any other flight sim plus 30 payware aircraft, 40 payware airports, weather software, traffic software, navigational aids, global photo realistic ground scenery......

Personally I'm going to go with the base version on the XBox games pass and wait to see whether the Deluxe / Premium versions are worth paying the extra for, how much it costs to upgrade between versions, what other platforms it gets released on, and whether it starts getting discounted / included in sales.

Associate
I hear the Honeycomb yoke is good by the way. Might buy one.

The Honeycomb yoke is a good bit of kit. Had mine about a month and while it took a bit of getting used to (not used a yoke before), I'm really enjoying it now. Gives a nice level of control and build quality is good too.

Soldato
I wonder what the other airports are going to be like if they are only mentioning these selected, the same with other scenery, how low will you get before the graphics do not look so good

There are three tiers of airports in the game.

The bulk are generated from Bing Maps data. The layouts will be correct. But they will use generic assets.

A smaller list have named runways and replica signs.

And an even smaller list (the 40 in the blurb) are replicas. They built custom assets for each one of these airports.

So Manchester will look (roughly) like Manchester. Heathrow, on the other hand, will be a replica (if you own it).

Alice Springs isn't one of the 40 airports that got special treatment. But it looks pretty good in that video. If that's what we can expect across ~37,000 airports, I'll be quite happy with the Standard Edition :p

Last edited:
Associate
Something that doesn't look right to me in the videos available is a plane is shown landing and the puffs of smoke from the tyres appears in front of the wheels instead of behind, surely this is wrong and needs correcting.
I remember one of the train simulators when it first came out, in the rain the water woulds be flowing back along the side windows as it should but on one window it flowed forwards, it was corrected after a while.

Associate
Given that the footage was recorded during the alpha phase of testing and that beta hasn't even started yet, I'd imagine the tyre smoke animation has been/will be sorted prior to release.

Associate
It's on the Microsoft site with sign up details etc. but they are not restricting add-ons in this marketplace. For PC it's easy to go elsewhere and cut out the middle man but it'll be interesting to see how it works with Xbox. Hopefully if you buy on one platform it's available in the other (perhaps with the exception of the European Boxed Version)

Soldato
Yep he is the man.
Its amazing how knowledgeable he is about flight sim type games.
He was the only guy I would watch on YT for Elite Dangerous.

(Shame about Elite Dangerous... the game you just want so much to love but hate).

Caporegime
Has there been any indication the cost of upgrading from one version to another, or if it's even possible given it could harm revenue?

Will you have to sell your game (again assuming possible) and repurchase the higher version, or can you pay to upgrade if you change your mind?

Associate
Has there been any indication the cost of upgrading from one version to another, or if it's even possible given it could harm revenue?

Will you have to sell your game (again assuming possible) and repurchase the higher version, or can you pay to upgrade if you change your mind?

I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from the game pass edition to the ultimate one. Don't fancy dropping £120 if the standard £60 version is included with game pass

Associate
I'd imagine that there will be something through the MS store. As far as I can see the only difference is extra planes and detailed airports so you may eventually be able to buy them individually. The gamepass version should certainly be enough to tell you whether you want to pay the extra.

Back
Top Bottom