Soldato
I want to automate so it automatically logs into a specific .ovpn on startup which i'll name "default" and then I'll rename whatever server I want to default and rename the old default to what it was then reboot so i can switch servers that way if i need to.

Assuming you're using the regular Raspberry Pi OS (aka Raspbian), then you can use systemd to connect at boot. Here's a guide in the Arch wiki. If you're using a systemd-free distro like Devuan, Artix or Void then you'll need to set up a script/service using the applicable init system (runit, openrc, s6 etc).

Caporegime
Assuming you're using the regular Raspberry Pi OS (aka Raspbian), then you can use systemd to connect at boot. Here's a guide in the Arch wiki. If you're using a systemd-free distro like Devuan, Artix or Void then you'll need to set up a script/service using the applicable init system (runit, openrc, s6 etc).

Thanks if I use and edit that command accordingly will it ask me for the username and password then store that somewhere or do I need to store them myself somewhere or edit the ovpn file and put them in there somehow?

Ill have a go tomorrow and see what happens

Caporegime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFnqLuYZy8

found a youtube video showing me how to automate it all including the username and password

Soldato
Anymore feedback on Surfshark?

Not personally heard of it until I saw it in this thread. Appears to be the cheapest paid VPN.

Assume it's the best for the money? Only want is for torrenting on Unraid

Caporegime
Anymore feedback on Surfshark?

Not personally heard of it until I saw it in this thread. Appears to be the cheapest paid VPN.

Assume it's the best for the money? Only want is for torrenting on Unraid

I'd honestly say it's worth paying the 50p more per month for NordVPN. Check out the deals available on hotukdeals.

The reason why I say this is there are far more tutorials out there for NORDVPN. Nord also uses wireguard protocols, etc. So it's more up to date and more widely supported.

I'm using Surf and it's honestly a pain to get it working on all devices. it won't work on my sony tv for instance. it doesn't support wireguard that will be added within the next 6 months

Soldato
I'd honestly say it's worth paying the 50p more per month for NordVPN. Check out the deals available on hotukdeals.

The reason why I say this is there are far more tutorials out there for NORDVPN. Nord also uses wireguard protocols, etc. So it's more up to date and more widely supported.

Can't agree more, bought a black friday deal with them in 2017 and it's been rock solid service. Easy to setup on anything, clear instructions for any device/software i've ever wanted to configure, it just works and works well.

Had my UF install on Friday and NordVPN servers are within 97% of my non vpn speed.

Soldato
Can't agree more, bought a black friday deal with them in 2017 and it's been rock solid service. Easy to setup on anything, clear instructions for any device/software i've ever wanted to configure, it just works and works well.

Had my UF install on Friday and NordVPN servers are within 97% of my non vpn speed.

What's Nord like for geo locked apps on TV's? Or is Express the one to go for?

Soldato
I'm using Unlocator smart DNS+VPN. I was gonna go with Surfshark at first, but Unlocator had a 7 day trial that allowed me to access HBO Max and Hulu without any issues, so I went with them. They're about $60 for 2 years with a promo code they offer after your week trial ends.

Soldato
Surprised people still use nord, thought what happened would have had a bigger impact on their rep, seems not.

Could you expand on that?

EDIT: Are you on about the rented server that got hacked last year? If so, the hacker couldn't see anymore than an ISP would see, encrypted traffic moving through. Nord were transparent about it, sent out warnings as soon as it happened and have since been independently audited with no further security concerns highlighted.

However, if it's not that, please let us know, my 3 year sub is up end of this year and have no problem going elsewhere if there is something I need to watch out for. However they have been great for the time i've had them.

Last edited:
Soldato
They had a compromised server on their network in Scandinavia. From what I remember the server provider installed a management client and left it open.

Nord unsurprisingly downplayed the issue, the internet went nuts as they do. From what I could tell at the time no damage was actually done to anyone.

Just google ‘Nord hacked’ and you’ll get loads of results. Hate that term, your not ‘hacked’ if you leave the front door open or if you leave the keys on the door mat.

Soldato
They had a compromised server on their network in Scandinavia. From what I remember the server provider installed a management client and left it open.

Nord unsurprisingly downplayed the issue, the internet went nuts as they do. From what I could tell at the time no damage was actually done to anyone.

Just google ‘Nord hacked’ and you’ll get loads of results. Hate that term, your not ‘hacked’ if you leave the front door open or if you leave the keys on the door mat.

Think I edited as you posted :)

Yeah, it's the same issue I was already aware of.

Bit sloppy though from nords side.

Soldato
Oh agreed but in the grand scheme of ‘hacking’ events this doesn’t even move the needle compared to things like the Experian and Equifax breaches that have had real long lasting damage.

Soldato
I subscribed to SharkSurf last night and I can connect to any server when on 4G however when connected to WiFi it refuses to connect to any. Its as if my router is blocking it.

I'm on Vodafone Internet, has anyone else had this issue?

EDIT:

I've fixed it by changing the DNS servers away from Vodafone to CloudFlare. Not only that but it's much quicker!

Last edited:
Soldato
Was going to pull the trigger on Nord today, but they've ended their 2 year discount deal.

I can get PureVPN for 5 years for £52.80.

Anyone use Pure? Is it good? (Mainly speed and reliability).

Back
Top Bottom