Msi rx480 8gb fans completely stopped?

Associate
Hi all, yesterday I went to play on my Pc for the first time in a few months and a short while into F1 2018 my game started slowing down and stuttering. I thought this might be down to settings but upon testing things out I noticed the temp of my GPU was reaching 90°c and that's when the frame rate crashed and stuttering occurred. That's when I realised I also had 0 rpm on my GPU fans.

Does anyone know what might be causing this (settings etc) or maybe a physical problem (fan motor) and if there is an easy way to fix this?

I have tried using both msi afterburner and the Radeon graphics suite and manually turning fans to max but no sign of movement. Maybe I have done this correctly so some advice on how this is done is also welcome just in case I'm being stupid.

Man of Honour
You have never flashed the bios of the graphics card, right?

It seems weird that they'd both completely fail at the same time.

Did they always turn off at desktop / idle?

Tried another driver?

Associate
OP
You are right I have never flashed the bios of the GPU or motherboard.
I don't think the fans were running when the desktop was idle but I never really took much notice if I'm honest.
I did update to the latest drivers last night and checked again this morning so that is at least updated.

Soldato
I know this isn't a proper fix, but as a temporary solution you could force the fans to run at 80% or something whilst gaming.

I agree with the above though it is likely driver related over hardware.

Associate
OP
I updated after the problem arose. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I use the if it isn't broken don't fix it when it comes to things like this. If it updates automatically then fine or I get a problem I then update.
I have tried running the fans at 99% and nothing happens, unless I have not selected this properly but I fairly certain I did on both MSI afterburner and the radeon graphics suite.

Associate
OP
There might be one that came with the GPU. If so I would still have it. I do still have a dvd drive as well so I can give it a go.

Soldato
I updated after the problem arose. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I use the if it isn't broken don't fix it when it comes to things like this. If it updates automatically then fine or I get a problem I then update.
I have tried running the fans at 99% and nothing happens, unless I have not selected this properly but I fairly certain I did on both MSI afterburner and the radeon graphics suite.

No that doesn't sound right, take the GPU out, reseat it, check power cables, check the fan cables are ok.

Associate
OP
I had thought about doing this but ran out of time before going to work this afternoon. I will have a go at removing and checking cables tomorrow before going back into work if I get a chance.

Associate
OP
Well so far so good with re-seating the gpu. It's now responding when I ask the fans to run. I put it back on auto settings and they are still running. I ran a benchmark in f1 2018 just for 2 laps at 1080p on ultra high and got 16095 total frames min fps 59 average 78 and max 95.
In frame time 10.34 average 12.68 max 16.8.
Not sure if the frame times are any good and I know the fps is actually on 60 as I have a 60hz monitor. It's an old HP pavilion 22xi. Maybe 6 years old.

Soldato
It's probably some issue with afterburner. It happened to me on pubg. Pubg made afterburner crash one time (I think it was something to do with the anti cheat) and my 380's fans switched off and almost melted the GPU.

Back
Top Bottom