• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
I'm with you, its more the fan speed increases that isn't great, if hot-spot/junction temps go to much more 100c I'll go back to the 2.4.1 drivers until the hot-spot temp is sorted out if it gets sorted that is.

I'm hoping the Lian-li Lancool 2 mesh mite help temps with 2x120mm on the psu shroud pointing at the gpu, from reviews it did bring temps down 3-4c what that will do to hot-spot I don't know but and that was with 1x120mm fan so I'm hoping it will keep it below 100c.

I wonder if a 120mm across the back of the GPU might be more effective? adding a 120mm fan under the card would help the cooler get more air but the back of the GPU has no airflow, other than that from your case intake fans and they don't reach that far.

This backplate is metal, it gets very hot and the back of the GPU socket area is open, to have some air blow across that might be quite effective.

qq3mGKr.jpg.png

Associate
Are there any GPU fan experts here? i have been looking on the Chinese market for other vendors fans that might fit on my card but i don't know which ones might be better than mine. they don't come with a CFM rating.

Any reason why suitable normal fans slapped onto the GPU and held down with some zipties would not suitable other than looks wise? A quick look at that GPU looks like the Shroud could be taken off and it's relatively flat on the fan side. I would go grab some decent radiator fans or something and slap them on and see how that works for performance/noise.

I personally took off the shroud on my RX580 Red Devil, and just slapped on two Noctua A12x25's onto it. Fairly pleased with the result, better airflow over the heatsink with better noise/performance ratio, and at max speeds is acceptable noise compared to what the stock GPU fans would have sounded like at 50-60%.

Just remember to grab a GPU mini PWM to normal PWM fan cable so you can just connect your own fans to it.

Caporegime
Any reason why suitable normal fans slapped onto the GPU and held down with some zipties would not suitable other than looks wise? A quick look at that GPU looks like the Shroud could be taken off and it's relatively flat on the fan side. I would go grab some decent radiator fans or something and slap them on and see how that works for performance/noise.

I personally took off the shroud on my RX580 Red Devil, and just slapped on two Noctua A12x25's onto it. Fairly pleased with the result, better airflow over the heatsink with better noise/performance ratio, and at max speeds is acceptable noise compared to what the stock GPU fans would have sounded like at 50-60%.

Just remember to grab a GPU mini PWM to normal PWM fan cable so you can just connect your own fans to it.

That is a very good idea, what i don't want to do is break the Warranty void seal on one of the GPU bracket screws but i think i can get the shroud off without taking the cooler off, there is just one small screw that is tucked behind the PCB, i need to think about how to get that one out.... i need a driver with a 90^ bend in it.

Soldato
Warranty void stickers are illegal so dont fret about it humbug. Was ruled to be ok to do a few years back i think now.

Edit - nvm i thought the uk was up to this by now, seems it was just a US ruling, tho i think there is progress for the uk to adopt to the same rules as US soon ish.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Warranty void stickers are illegal so dont fret about it humbug. Was ruled to be ok to do a few years back i think now.

Edit - nvm i thought the uk was up to this by now, seems it was just a US ruling, tho i think there is progress for the uk to adopt to the same rules as US soon ish.

Yeah its the right to repair or something and should be gaining traction globally but not confirmed where its at yet myself.

Soldato
I wonder if a 120mm across the back of the GPU might be more effective? adding a 120mm fan under the card would help the cooler get more air but the back of the GPU has no airflow, other than that from your case intake fans and they don't reach that far.

This backplate is metal, it gets very hot and the back of the GPU socket area is open, to have some air blow across that might be quite effective.

qq3mGKr.jpg.png
Yeah that's like the original reference 5700xt style with the open back, it's what I put back on mine even though it's water cooled simply as it allows more air to circulate. or just add that fan at an angle so it blows over it or something...

Soldato
Issue with MSI Afterburner and Radeon Settings resetting the undervolt/fan timings after a resume from Sleep appears to be resolved: i can have Afterburner load with Windows and leave it running

Caporegime

qq3mGKr.jpg.png

That's supposedly whats going on with those ampere leaks with the odd looking cooler, fan on the front, fan on the back. It seems to be similar to what sapphire have been doing for a few years now with an overhanging heatsink but they added a fan to it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/268332/...pictured-rumors-of-airflow-magic-quashed?cp=2

1TnTllo.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Mmm, so i did what I said I wasn't going to do, however, and updated drivers to the latest from couple of days ago 20.7.2.

However, anyone else noticed ellivated CPU usuage for the Radeon Software: Host Application>? Mine is currently sat using 7.5% - 8.5% of CPU resource, that's mental... rebooted same thing... that's WAYYYYY too high why would it be taking that much up? Never done that with any version but it means my CPU's aren't dropping to 1200mhz now using speedstep because they're messing around controlling this application?

task.JPG

Soldato
Mines at 0-0.4% even on the performance tab with graphs updating. Running 20.4.2 whql ones myself on vega56.

Dunno if it affects it but i use balanced power settings in win 10.
Exaclty how mine used to be on the earlier drivers, not happy with this as if they can't be sorted I'll be going back to the old ones... I'm not having that much usage for an application it's mental

Caporegime
Mmm, so i did what I said I wasn't going to do, however, and updated drivers to the latest from couple of days ago 20.7.2.

However, anyone else noticed ellivated CPU usuage for the Radeon Software: Host Application>? Mine is currently sat using 7.5% - 8.5% of CPU resource, that's mental... rebooted same thing... that's WAYYYYY too high why would it be taking that much up? Never done that with any version but it means my CPU's aren't dropping to 1200mhz now using speedstep because they're messing around controlling this application?

task.JPG

No its fine....

cd59onw.png

Soldato
My 5700XT keeps crashing randomly with the new driver, Causing artefacts on the desktop, Looks like it's dropping voltage way too low for whatever reason when at idle and even when in use, I have to manually set it to 900 for the minimum and 1200 for the maximum, That seems to fix it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom