• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
just on the off chance this wasn't a typo, you know the expression is 'mine field', right? :p

Any way, I've been tinkering with my PC more recently as well. With DLSS 2.0 looking so good, I'm really hankering after a new graphics card that can support it, but would be waiting for lower/mid range new nvidia cards. However, I do think that the PS5 is going to be pretty damn special and I can't see myself resisting buying on tbh!

Lol I’m just going to blame my new apex 7 keyboard. Just traded in my xbox stuff this morning and got around £300. So that will go towards the 5700xt I just purchased. I wanted to wait also but I can always just sell and trade up when I get the rest of my rig up to date.

Man of Honour
So why is what you are saying applying to the PS5 but on Xbox Series X, it’s what I am saying?

Microsoft spent many years anda lot of resources working on their engine for backwards compatibility. Even then it’s not 100%.

It’s not an easy thing to accomplish when jumping across architectures such as the very different architectures of the PS3 and PS4.

Many games use very specific hardware tricks to get the most out of the systems and they can’t just be blindly remade in an emulation engine.

Caporegime
Microsoft spent many years anda lot of resources working on their engine for backwards compatibility. Even then it’s not 100%.

It’s not an easy thing to accomplish when jumping across architectures such as the very different architectures of the PS3 and PS4.

Many games use very specific hardware tricks to get the most out of the systems and they can’t just be blindly remade in an emulation engine.

Yes, I accept that but I'm not really talking about Xbox 360 games in this example. Moreso Xbox One games running on XSX and PS4 games running on PS5. I'll take an example.

Assassin's Creed Origins - according to Digital Foundry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm1NsxHKgVA
PS4 Pro resolution varies from approx. 1350p to 1584p
Xbox One X resolution varies from approx. 1656p to 2016p
Frame rate wobbles under 30fps on both consoles

Assuming the coded upper limit for the dynamic resolution scaler is 2160p and frame rate is 30fps,
I am expecting the Xbox Series X to lock it to 2160p30 and @stoofa is saying it will perform (almost) exactly the same on PS5 as it does on PS4 Pro. I don't agree, I think it will also lock to 2160p30 on PS5.

Permabanned
Don't really know the principle differences between them yet, but I think you'd be crazy to opt into a digital only version unless it's significantly cheaper. There's still so much value to be found with trade ins and that's not likely to change any time soon. You can often get your money back entirely on a game if you complete it quick enough.

Soldato
Don't really know the principle differences between them yet, but I think you'd be crazy to opt into a digital only version unless it's significantly cheaper. There's still so much value to be found with trade ins and that's not likely to change any time soon. You can often get your money back entirely on a game if you complete it quick enough.

Personally, I don't care about trading in games or feel like I need to finish it quickly to get my money back. Why rush through a game and then trade it in? I don't get it.

Soldato
Personally, I don't care about trading in games or feel like I need to finish it quickly to get my money back. Why rush through a game and then trade it in? I don't get it.

Hardly a rush lol, most games I finish in a few weeks and I have a 2 year old so only really get to game 5 or 6 hours a week.

Even if a game is worth £20 after a month or two, is it worth sitting gathering dust? Or would that £20 off of your next game be worth it?

I don't get people who sit on games but never play them again myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, I accept that but I'm not really talking about Xbox 360 games in this example. Moreso Xbox One games running on XSX and PS4 games running on PS5. I'll take an example.

Assassin's Creed Origins - according to Digital Foundry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm1NsxHKgVA
PS4 Pro resolution varies from approx. 1350p to 1584p
Xbox One X resolution varies from approx. 1656p to 2016p
Frame rate wobbles under 30fps on both consoles

Assuming the coded upper limit for the dynamic resolution scaler is 2160p and frame rate is 30fps,
I am expecting the Xbox Series X to lock it to 2160p30 and @stoofa is saying it will perform (almost) exactly the same on PS5 as it does on PS4 Pro. I don't agree, I think it will also lock to 2160p30 on PS5.

It'll run at the max resolution of the PS4 version. Getting it to run at 4K30 would require an update.

Permabanned
Hardly a rush lol, most games I finish in a few weeks and I have a 2 year old so only really get to game 5 or 6 hours a week.

Even if a game is worth £20 after a month or two, is it worth sitting gathering dust? Or would that £20 off of your next game be worth it?

Indeed. Never had a choice when I was younger and even now to some extent. Have to sell those games to be able to buy new ones.

Soldato
Indeed. Never had a choice when I was younger and even now to some extent. Have to sell those games to be able to buy new ones.

I'm pretty much the same, I used to work in a games shop during the ps1 era in my teens.

Only way as a teen to afford the next game was to trade the last one back in.
I could afford it these days, but have other priorities as you can imagine.

Hell I'm likely going to be trading my xbox one x, ps4 Pro and games to take a chunk out of (or fully pay for) the ps5 when it comes.

Soldato
This is why I don't buy physical discs anymore, I was always trying to finish a game quickly to get a good resale value. Nowadays I'd rather take my time and enjoy/discover more.

Soldato

Two weeks to me is a rush. I'm still playing RDR2 I bought at launch :D:eek:

Back
Top Bottom