Road Cycling

Soldato
Just chuck some on, your chain looked pretty clean - so as you say (and other have suggested) it's just a bit dry.

Quick & easy method if required: Quick & simple - put a spot on each link, on the 'inside' of the chain (so along the bottom length between cassette and crank), remember your starting point and put around 1/2 grain of uncooked rice size on each link along the length. When you get to the end wait 20-30s so it has a bit of time to soak into the links, then forward/back pedal remembering your starting point (if your chain has a chainlink/powerlink in it that's an easy spot) and repeat until the whole length is done. Give it a few rotations and then take it up and down the cassette with your shifter a few times to see how much happier it now sounds! :D

Depending how much you put on you might get some spray/mist of it on the floor while spinning it, so best done outside/garage etc. If using a dry lube then it's worth wiping down the chain afterwards as it's usually quite light stuff it gets everywhere and lube isn't needed on the outside surfaces of the chain (and just attracts dust & dirt). In theory you're best to wipe down everything you can 'see', the lube is for the internal links of the chain, not really any outside surfaces. A thicker wet lube or some of the ceramic based stuff is generally more 'gloopy'. Takes a bit longer to soak in and I've found (using muck-off and finish line green) are almost best left without wiping them down as it's much easier to put smaller amounts on the right places anyway... Also designed to stay put in bad weather... And if you're riding in bad weather your chain is going to get mud, dirt and grime all over it anyway.

I actually consider some lube on the surface of my chain during the wet & winter a good indicator for how filthy it is and use that to judge that a little when to clean things. During a wet/dirty autumn and winter I'll wipe my chain down to remove this grime several times a week, without cleaning my chain or relubing it, only doing that when it starts to sound rough or look like the water has washed the grime/lube off/out of it. Maybe once every 7-14 days. But I'm harsh on my chains... For me they're a consumable so the time saved is worth it. The salt on the roads in the winter EATS chains, so carrying some lube & dirt on the outside/visible parts actually protects it a little from that salt/rust. Some wet & salty winter rides you get home and the chain is almost like it's been degreased and dried out, with rust, when you only cleaned and lubed it the night before...! :o
Cheers mate for the info, I think as you say ill just give the bike a clean down and just try some lube for now. I can always degrease it if necessary. Its still quite clean.

I have some Muc Off C3 Ceramic Dry lube, C3 Ceramic Wet Lube and a normal wet lube. Which one would I go with? its expected to be around 20/21c and relatively dry near me in the next few weeks so perhaps ive answered my own question? (c3 ceramic dry)

Noted that you mention to just leave the c3 ceramic stuff to soak in and not wipe it down.

Soldato
Folks, how do we feel about aero bars? I'm having a little discomfort in my wrists/shoulders on longer rides (tissue connectivity issue - EDS), and was wondering if they'd offer different positions to alleviate some of this.

Any thoughts?

Sort your position out with a proper bike fit is unfortunately the only way to resolve this, aero bars will make you less comfortable not more comfortable.

Soldato
Cheers mate for the info, I think as you say ill just give the bike a clean down and just try some lube for now. I can always degrease it if necessary. Its still quite clean.

I have some Muc Off C3 Ceramic Dry lube, C3 Ceramic Wet Lube and a normal wet lube. Which one would I go with? its expected to be around 20/21c and relatively dry near me in the next few weeks so perhaps ive answered my own question? (c3 ceramic dry)

Noted that you mention to just leave the c3 ceramic stuff to soak in and not wipe it down.

I've been using a bargain basemnt £7 1 litre bottle of C3 Ceramic Wet for a few years, just a a few more decades left in the bottle! ;)

Great for corrosion resistance, put some on every ~4 weeks, but the big downside is it turns into a very sticky black sludge within a short space of time.

Dry lubes ought to create less sludge, but I've not tried any, nevermind the C3 Ceramic Dry. However, they have a reputation of "leaving the bike building" at the sight of raindrops, so it's fairly important to dry the chain after a wet ride ASAP and then re-lube.

Soldato
I've been using a bargain basemnt £7 1 litre bottle of C3 Ceramic Wet for a few years, just a a few more decades left in the bottle! ;)

Great for corrosion resistance, put some on every ~4 weeks, but the big downside is it turns into a very sticky black sludge within a short space of time.

Dry lubes ought to create less sludge, but I've not tried any, nevermind the C3 Ceramic Dry. However, they have a reputation of "leaving the bike building" at the sight of raindrops, so it's fairly important to dry the chain after a wet ride ASAP and then re-lube.
Good advice again, cheers mate. I think I'll give the c3 ceramic wet a go. Worst case I have to degrease and clean the whole thing if it's not worked!

Did 3 rides today, just over 50k in total. Really proud of myself I have to say even though it's very much rookie numbers!

I also feel like I'm catching the bug, I've started looking online for a new bike haha. Not a clue where to start but let's see how it goes!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought myself a 65mm rear wheel (Giant SLR) because lockdown sucks. I now need to work out what to pair it with, assuming it fits ok in both my TT and road bike. It’s my first carbon brake track too

Soldato
You removed a press fit BB to have a clean?

The chainset actually came out super easy, very light tap with mallet that probably wasn't required just getting it back in was rough.
Yup. Praxis works. Their old design (which came on a large amount of Specialized and Cervelo frames) was a metal collet which press fit into the frame then is expanded by a threaded side. Quite a neat design, but for me it left areas of the BB area 'empty' where water ingress would sit and introduce grit, which lead to clicks in the winter/bad weather... Their current/new version is some kind of expanding elastomer so there's no need for cutouts in the metal.

Do caliper brake cables need lubing? New set of brake cables about 1200km ago, and the rear caliper has started not releasing properly (so just rubs on the rim when applied), and the front has started doing it, although not that badly. It feels like there is a lot of tension on the cable, but can't see whats causing so much resistance
The springs can get gunk in them or rust and start to lose strength, then gunked up cable ends introduce tension. Even clean cables can get 'gummed up', although it's not the cables as generally they're stainless, the cable outers are not, so the ends (generally under plastic ends/covers) rust and the gap for the actual cable is gummed up/tighter. One trick is to cut the outers back a little to cut the rusted bits off... But of course then you're shortening your cable length so need to adjust everything... And if things are quite tight anyway you'll not have enough free to cut back.

on the cheaper end decathlon used to sell "coated" cables that were low friction but not sure if they still do.
Generally labelled as 'PTFE' coated cables. I found them ok but using cables longer times the coating shreds/comes away and jams things up anyway, so worse than uncoated cables! :rolleyes:

Folks, how do we feel about aero bars? I'm having a little discomfort in my wrists/shoulders on longer rides (tissue connectivity issue - EDS), and was wondering if they'd offer different positions to alleviate some of this.

Any thoughts?
Totally depends on your fit. Add some spacers to bring bars up, or invert stem to get a more relaxed upright position.

The right fit and properly setup aerobars does give you more positions, that's why you see a lot of the long/ultra distance guys with them. It's all down to the fit, for the cost of a set of S/H clip on bars it's probably worth trying. I've got a set on my Zwift setup and find them good for another position - forcing me to change my saddle position helps things on long rides more than anything else.

Haha I didn't know they did them that big! May have to hunt some down... Is that the milky coloured stuff? I have the Dry one and it's my favourite dry lube as actually has some 'staying' power.

My wet lube of choice is generally Finish Line Green, but I tried the Red (dry) and it was so watery/useless I may as well have thrown it on the floor instead of on the chain. Seem to recall less than a week of only dry commuting and it was done. <1.5 hours of riding.

Good advice again, cheers mate. I think I'll give the c3 ceramic wet a go. Worst case I have to degrease and clean the whole thing if it's not worked!
Certainly worth trying 'first'. If it doesn't work then no need to degrease, just wipe it down a bit and reapply.

Cleaning gunk from the jockey wheels, cleaning chainset and then spraying GT85 on both is also worth doing if you're degreasing and cleaning the chain. Clean & lube the whole system. GT85 will leave a light oil, so makes things nice and shiny so looks great as well as protecting a little.

I've been known to 'clean' my chain with it when covered in mud & grime without time to use the chain scrubber & dry the chain before applying lube etc. I'll generally lube afterwards not leave it with just GT85 as GCN suggested in some video which caused huge chaos/backlash online a few years ago.

So Local Legends is supposed to be live from today, the functionality appears to be in the app, but almost no segments are there :(
I saw a few on Pro riders feeds a few weeks back but nothing since. Might even have seen some from local guys and not totally convinced I didn't see one on mine.

Soldato
Thanks all for the advice, just washed down the bike and relubed the chain. Took it out for a quick spin down my road and its silky smooth (compared to before!) so I think the lube is what was needed (lol)

I ended up going for the c3 ceramic wet, ill see how that lasts me and then I can switch it. I think if I would have used some peanut butter it would have been better than how dry it was before!

I will still pick up some degreaser and do a full take apart and clean one day but for now its looking all good. Thanks all for the help and advice, still a noob to proper cycling so learning all the time!

I have a few of the strava challenges in my sights so I want to do about 35k tomorrow, will feel and hear how the bike is tomorrow before I will know if I need to do anymore!

Soldato
Good stuff and well done for having a nice silky smooth quiet drivechain... You must be one of the few 'lockdown riders' with one! ;) :D
Cheers mate haha, I was/still in the 'lockdown rider' category but this might just be my new hobby haha! Spent today looking at a new (well secondhand) bike to just see what sort of upgrade is out there. I am not going to jump straight into 1k+ just yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw a few on Pro riders feeds a few weeks back but nothing since. Might even have seen some from local guys and not totally convinced I didn't see one on mine.

It seems to have properly kicked in now. It does look a little like a commuters award... although I found one of the local hills I like, I'm 3rd with 8 attempts and the LL is 14, so I went and did it 4 times this morning. I'll do a few more times over the coming days :) I know it's perhaps not in the spirit of it... but hey, I want some kind of award on Strava!!!

Soldato
The old mantra of “don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades” definitely stands. But new shiny stuff is shiny and new!
I learnt about that quote for the first time last night scrolling through reddit haha. I think ill treat myself in the new year maybe. See if I can keep up 6mths consistent riding.

Soldato
@Roady The 1l C3 Ceramic Wet bottle of pink goo was a PlanetX bargain, allegedly the RRP was ~£65 around 2016ish.
Bargain! Providing it hasn't got a 'use by' date... Not that I can recall seeing one on any kind of lube or oil, just 'shake firmly before use'!

Cheers mate haha, I was/still in the 'lockdown rider' category but this might just be my new hobby haha! Spent today looking at a new (well secondhand) bike to just see what sort of upgrade is out there. I am not going to jump straight into 1k+ just yet.
It's worth surfing around and taking a look quite regularly. You'll familiarise yourself with pricing and what sort of things crop up. Enough of it and you'll begin to spot the 'deals/bargains' and what to look out for which will aid you when it actually comes time. Any doubt shout in here and we'll always help!

The old mantra of “don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades” definitely stands. But new shiny stuff is shiny and new!
Isn't that always thrown around as Merkx but never actually proven? It's a great one (I love a play on words probably more than most), but it is only really true within reason. If someone is riding an old 6 speed with a standard and say a 11-25 cassette, they'll notice a massive upgrade going to modern tech 11 speed compact with an 11-32... Even if they're riding up lots of grades...!

I'll do a few more times over the coming days :) I know it's perhaps not in the spirit of it... but hey, I want some kind of award on Strava!!!
And that is exactly what they're for and the real ethos of them - pushing you to go out and ride more! :D

I think ill treat myself in the new year maybe. See if I can keep up 6mths consistent riding up grades
Edited for you ;)

My favourite is probably LeMonds 'It never get's any easier, you just go faster'

Soldato
It's worth surfing around and taking a look quite regularly. You'll familiarise yourself with pricing and what sort of things crop up. Enough of it and you'll begin to spot the 'deals/bargains' and what to look out for which will aid you when it actually comes time. Any doubt shout in here and we'll always help!
Definitely, looking through Gumtree and the bay, still need to get my head around the components and understanding if its a good deal or not but as you say just need to keep looking. I was in the depths of "how to build a bike" last night on youtube and it looked a really cool project so that might be something I look at also!

Back
Top Bottom