Is 3/4' a standard socket size?

Permabanned
I use a 3/4” socket to undo my oil filter housing only because my 1/2” set doesn’t include a big enough socket, but yeah it’s usually needed for heavy duty stuff requiring larger than 32mm socket sizes.

Permabanned
Never seen an impact gun shear off unless you have a cheap Chinese knock off. I have broken a 1/2” breaker bar before but I think that might have something to do with me hanging off a scaffold tube I slid over the bar. Nearly knocked my self clean out doing that so not advised :D.

Associate
A lot of impact wrenches are 3/4" or 1" square drive, I guess 1/2" would shear off if used with anything over say 30mm socket.
My air gun and battery gun is 1/2” and I use it to undo hub nuts which range from 27 to 36.
They don’t shear due to socket size it’s more to do with quality and abuse. the hammers hammer the same no matter how tight the fastener is.

Associate
Larger drive = higher maximum torque, all there is to it really. Its a balance between form factor (can't get a 1 inch drive into small places), cost, and torque requirement and by extension durability.

Back
Top Bottom