• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Damaged CPU, fresh from sealed box

Associate
Used to happen fairly often. Am talking 386/486/pentium days

Would just straighten out the pins.

I haven’t built a PC since Conroe so maybe slightly out of date!

Soldato
At the end of the day it's not the end user's fault, nor the end user's responsibility to fix. Nor can you assume that the end user will be equipped or confident to make such a fix.

This isn't as you claim a matter of aesthetics. With bent pins the bloomin' thing won't slot into your motherboard! You would need to physically manipulate the pins, and in the process could end up further damaging the product.

The problem is a faulty CPU and it is the responsibility of the shop or vendor to sort it out (ie replace). They can then sell the CPU with bent pins as B-grade, or return it to their suppliers.

There is no way the onus should be on the end user to sort this out.

the OP’s bent pin is probably can’t be bent back. There are bent pins that are slightly not straight and it won’t fit into the socket. But those ones, can be easily remediate.
It is not one size fits all mate.

I mean will you be sending the CPU back if there is a scratch on the plastic cover...

Soldato
OP
All is up and running eventually.

I have to say, the 3200G is an efficient CPU and the Wraith stealth cooler is VERY quiet. More than happy with the build for its usage requirements.

Fed up with streaming sticks with wifi only and TV's with 100Mb ethernet ports and under specced hardware.

This will do the job nicely :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd happily straighten out the pins on an old CPU. Done it loads of times without any issues.

However, freak accidents do happen in the world. What if a pin snaps while you straighten it? Warranty void. I'd rather contact manufacturer support for their permission, so you're covered in case the unlikely happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
All is up and running eventually.

I have to say, the 3200G is an efficient CPU and the Wraith stealth cooler is VERY quiet. More than happy with the build for its usage requirements.

Fed up with streaming sticks with wifi only and TV's with 100Mb ethernet ports and under specced hardware.

This will do the job nicely :D

Ive been impressed with the stock AMD HSF’s too.

Associate
You do realise the entire cpu manufacturing line is fully automated there is no “man handling”. That also goes to the packaging line with minimal human inputs. There is probably a person at the end of the line putting the plastic into the paper box and seal it.

where bend pins are rare from new box it can happen during the assembly lien but that’s nothing to say it is damaged.

comparison to a car is a good one. A car not only has to be function but also aesthetically pleasing. So of course if there is a scratch people will want it out. But if your car is a stock car and you are going to race it to wreck it then does a scratch on the body work make a different?! Hell no.

does a CPU need to be aesthetically perfect for it to do its job if it’s function is not affected
I do think the OP has the right for their 'new' product to be free of defects. Yes the remedy might be simple but accepting 'new' products that clearly are not fit for purpose without remedial action sends out the wrong message entirely. Where does this line of thinking stop?

Associate
At the end of the day it's not the end user's fault, nor the end user's responsibility to fix. Nor can you assume that the end user will be equipped or confident to make such a fix.

This isn't as you claim a matter of aesthetics. With bent pins the bloomin' thing won't slot into your motherboard! You would need to physically manipulate the pins, and in the process could end up further damaging the product.

The problem is a faulty CPU and it is the responsibility of the shop or vendor to sort it out (ie replace). They can then sell the CPU with bent pins as B-grade, or return it to their suppliers.

There is no way the onus should be on the end user to sort this out.

Can see both sides.

Yeah it's got bent pins, yeah we can repair it easily and it may work perfectly for years. But then again it may not.

If you buy a new piece of kit, it's expected that it arrives "as new".

If not, it should go back and be sold B grade because effectively that is what it is at a minimum. Had the bent pins been detected during manufacturing they wouldn't have even let it ship.

Even worse snapping the pins during a botched repair is going to be an expensive mistake and I'd like to hear of any retailer that would accept that return on the basis that you accidentally broke them trying to fix them as they arrived damaged. Not worth the risk and you shouldn't have to do it.

Associate
I also bought a 3200g recently and it had a single bent pin. Was brand new sealed and I just couldn’t figure out how it had got bent. Anyhow I just straightened the pin and it worked fine.

Man of Honour
I also bought a 3200g recently and it had a single bent pin. Was brand new sealed and I just couldn’t figure out how it had got bent. Anyhow I just straightened the pin and it worked fine.
I find this rather worrying tbh, cos there are retailers with an opinion that a bent pin in a new CPU is just not possible and they would reject any RMA of this nature out of hand.

Soldato
OP
I find this rather worrying tbh, cos there are retailers with an opinion that a bent pin in a new CPU is just not possible and they would reject any RMA of this nature out of hand.

In the eyes of the law, it is upto the retailer to prove it WAS NOT damaged when received, which they cannot prove on a BNIB sealed item.

Looking about online, there are other examples of people reporting same issue with Ryzens.

Associate
One of two 1700X CPUs I purchased had 3 bent pins out of the box, as above figured the retailer would never believe the damage was not user inflcited. Bent the pins back with a needle and credit card and it was fine. In hindsight though should have immediately returned it.

Back
Top Bottom