Carpet costs and fitting costs

Associate
Can anyone who has had carpet fitted recently advise on the cost per m2 for fitting? Ive seen a range of prices suggested online from 3.50/m2 to 25!

Also has anyone found their chosen carpet cheaper online and either negotiated with the shop they found it or decided to order the carpet themselves and find a fitter seperately?

Today we found a carpet we like priced in store at £24.99 m2. Upon looking online it seems to be going for just under £18 m2. Its a smaller independent place rather than the big chain. I would like to support the local business but thats quite a difference.

Thanks

Associate
OP
The online places have much smaller overheads and bulk buying power so can sell much cheaper.

If you can get someone to fit it, probably better.

Agreed, then again the place I visited is also their warehouse and they will be ordering at a rate closer or less to what I can find online. I think I will try to negotiate. There is something to be said for the ease and their relationship with local fitters etc. I think I'll see if they will go to 21-22.

Soldato
Plenty of fitters about but not that cheap, well depends in what you call cheap. Not cheap getting a carpet plus fitted though. You can sometimes pick up an end if it's just a small area.

Associate
I've just booked carpet & fitting for the main bedroom. It's from a local independent place in Rugby (as I'm sure it varies where you are in the country).
Room is 4mx3.2m (12.8m2)
Material (carpet, underlay, grippers etc) was £227 (£17.73/m2)
Fitting is £55 (£4.30/m2)

Associate
Had a carpet fitted last week.
14'2" × 10'
Got an end of roll on the colour we liked and it was 15' x 11' so lucky on that count.

Carpet was £269
Underlay was £120
Already had grippers and in good shape.
Fitting £50
£439 total.

The carpet is real thick and now makes the other carpets feel like paper:rolleyes:.
Nothing beats walking on a new thick carpet.

I had to take 10mm off the door its so thick.

Soldato
I had mine installed by a local place who supplied all the door bars but my existing grippers were mostly fine.

I did source the underlay myself though from https://www.tradepriced.co.uk.

They couldn't match the pricing, and the underlay comes in standard sized rolls so that was the agreement we made, they'd install it using my underlay and provide everything else.

Soldato
I had 3 carpets fitted previously, two by a chain and one locally. The local one was great, as was one of rooms fitted by the chain, when I got the chain place to fit the next one at a later date it was done very poorly and needed to be ripped out and replaced.

Permabanned
Fitted our bedroom carpet myself with the help from my dad it’s not that hard plenty of guides online to follow. As long as you have a carpet kicker and a sharp Stanley knife it’s something that is easily doable.

I’ll be getting someone in to do the upstairs landing and stairs though they’ll do it quicker and easier than I can so it’s not worth the hassle.

Associate
Handy thread this as about to look for carpet for the living room. Sounds like I should grab the underlay online and source carpet locally to see the colour and thickness and lookup a local fitter.

Associate
^ +1. You can’t go wrong with cloud 9 Cumulus and this is a pretty good price for a roll.

Yeah this Cloud 9 stuff came up a lot when I was looking into this exciting subject a few years ago.
I've had a look and cant find the email with what we paid for our carpets and fitting unfurtunately but absolutely pays to shop about a bit as the prices varied wildly even between the independents, and the big name stores were crazy prices when you actually started to add thing up.
Like other have said we used a local guy to fit the carpet itself and think he only charged a couple of hundred for the whole 3 bed house inc removing and disposal of the old stuff.

Permabanned
Yeah this Cloud 9 stuff came up a lot when I was looking into this exciting subject a few years ago.
I've had a look and cant find the email with what we paid for our carpets and fitting unfurtunately but absolutely pays to shop about a bit as the prices varied wildly even between the independents, and the big name stores were crazy prices when you actually started to add thing up.
Like other have said we used a local guy to fit the carpet itself and think he only charged a couple of hundred for the whole 3 bed house inc removing and disposal of the old stuff.
It’s good stuff. You may find better but I doubt you can for the same money or less.

Can’t remember what I paid exactly but it was the cheapest I could find and defiantly much cheaper than buying it from SFS and the likes.

We splashed out on the carpet as it was our bedroom and wanted something soft and luxurious but saved by fitting it myself. We brought this stuff although I’m sure I paid a bit less than what they charge now.
https://www.onlinecarpets.co.uk/isense-serenity-carpet.html

In all honesty now I’ve done the bedroom I wouldn’t hesitate to fit carpet in our other bedrooms, the stairs and landing is the only one I don’t fancy doing although if money was tight I’m sure I could manage.

Just had a look and I paid £408. That’s for the carpet 4 x 3.6m, cloud 9 underlay, carpet grippers and door bar.

Soldato
We bought carpet from a carpet shop called Tapi and for our living room the total cost was around 1k.
I've requested samples from online carpets and found the exact same one. Buying all online and getting it fitted through an independent fitter comes to around £450 (at the time I didn't really look into it so payed carpet shop pricing)

Back
Top Bottom