Why consoles Anymore?

Soldato
Firstly this indeed does intend to be in the PC section. you will see.

this is not a troll thread & do not turn it into one

Q: Why do you need to buy an Xbox anymore (if you have a pc)? Am i missing somthing.?

For longest time ive used PC for gaming & Had a Playstation for PS only titles like GTA/spiderman launches etc.

I bought Xbox one X last year as the PS4 pro was a dog for anything 2K+ & i wanted to see why people love xbox so much.

The Xbox one X has been amazing in terms of perf over the PS4 Pro for couch gaming.

i'm thinking of the next Gen my intial thoughts was i was going to buy an Xbox Series X? but why?

What does an Xbox Give thaat PC doesnt have?

Xbox game Pass - PC/Console
XBox Exclusives - are on PC
Xbox 4K - HDR - depending on your Rig you can have that

Q: Why Playstation going forward?
Then you have Playstation i would say it was still worth it a few months back
but it appears that Sony maybe going for a + 1 year approach to releasing games on PC. we now have Horizon Zero Dawn, Death stranding Possible hints of Ghost of Tsushima if all goes well PC could have regular + year releases.

Q:What do you miss from not having a Console? and saving £500/1000 in process for upgrades you need on pc?

Soldato
This is the exact reason I no longer buy/will buy an Xbox consol.

Game Pass has pretty much made owning the consol for me a waste of time. Especially since all first party exclusives for Microsoft hit PC.

I can get the halo,Forza,gears etc on PC now :)

However I say this as I have a set room aka man cave where my pc is so I can unwind and also let the Mrs still have TV etc.

If this wasn't the case which it is for many I can see why people do buy an Xbox still.

Only consols I buy now are PlayStation / Nintendo

Soldato
Console has never suited me as I've made space for my pc so the Mrs can have the TV. Now that Microsoft are including the pc more and more into its Xbox ecosystem there is even less point of owning a console, previously I always fancied a PS4 for the exclusives but it looks like they're going to be coming to pc too even if it's a long wait I don't mind there are plenty of games

Caporegime
Well price is the obvious one if we are just talking about using it as a way to play games

If you already have an amazing PC, great. You won't need an Xbox Series X

If you don't, the Xbox Series X will perform as good as a £1500 PC for ⅓ of the price.

I recently sold my (rarely used) Xbox One X and I doubt I will get a series X. I'll likely put the saving towards a new HDMI 2.1 GPU

But just that new GPU will cost more than the console itself.

Also multiplayer console games don't have the same issues with aimbots and wallhacks that PC gamers have to put up with constantly, unless it happens to be crossplay like 'Warzone'

Soldato
Cost i imagine. It’s a lot more expensive for a PC than a console.
Also you do know GTA was not a ‘PS only’ title. GTA 1 was released in October 1997 for Ms-dos & Windows.

Soldato
Cost, casual lounge gaming, friends have consoles, single PC in the house but multiple users and exclusive games I suppose are all reasonable reasons.

My PS4 has only really been used for a Blu-ray player and for streaming services. I think I’ve only played 3 or 4 games on it lol. I have a Switch though.

Soldato
Funnily enough many are now saying exactly the opposite once ps5 comes out (why bother with pcs now consoles can use kB/m and are getting closer to pc).
Xbox is now a platform and not just a console therefore you are right there is not much point getting an Xbox if you have a good pc.
Sony still have some corking exclusives tho which are not on pc.
I am sticking with pc and possibly get ps5 down the road. Choices are good :)

Associate
PCs also have the potential issue of drivers and updates causing issues. Consoles are merely plug and play.
There's the issue of average Joe not really wanting to research best/most suitedprebuilt.
Not all PC games are controller friendly. Again something that can be overcome, but requires knowledge, research, and hassle.

I have both :)

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough many are now saying exactly the opposite once ps5 comes out (why bother with pcs now consoles can use kB/m and are getting closer to pc).
Xbox is now a platform and not just a console therefore you are right there is not much point getting an Xbox if you have a good pc.
Sony still have some corking exclusives tho which are not on pc.
I am sticking with pc and possibly get ps5 down the road. Choices are good :)
got a feeling ps games "exclusives" will now will be on epic game store afgter x time after release with sonys up front £250 Million is for them to get full profit with no 30% cut.

Cost i imagine. It’s a lot more expensive for a PC than a console.
Also you do know GTA was not a ‘PS only’ title. GTA 1 was released in October 1997 for Ms-dos & Windows.
i ment from access time point of view should have used last of us as an example even so :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
When you exclude cost, most of the choice comes down to social interactions and what your friends use. I've spent the better part of 3 decades using a PC and I have a lot of people I interact with daily on the PC where I'd never not have one, but all of my local friends have a console, so I buy console(s) also to play with them and share games. If all of your friends have a console and you've never had a PC before, it's extremely unlikely you'd get a PC over a console, and vice versa, as you'd struggle to justify it. If you already have one platform (either a console or a PC) and are looking at buying then other, then you are going to primarily be looking at cost, social activities, and game IPs you're interested in.

There isn't a right or wrong answer, it's just down to the persons interests and social activity and what you'd personally get out of it to justify the decision.

Soldato
With game pass an xbox looks very tempting for the tech inside it. But for me, I do my casual gaming on my PC, since the TV isn't really a place where I can spend 3 hours playing games, telling the rest of the household they can't use the TV :D.

Soldato
It really comes down to circumstances, expectations and budget. Some would argue that you don't need either now that we have cloud gaming.

Like a lot of people on this forum (OP included) I have a budget that means price isn't the main factor to consider, therefore PC is a no brainer. Also like a lot of people here, I have a dedicated room in my house for gaming/cinema and that's a big factor also.

Soldato
Having the option to dual boot a PS5 into Windows would be great option - game with keyboard & mouse and use Windows for everything else - Programs, PC only titles, older games, emulation etc.

Soldato
Consoles are an option just like pc's are. Have one, have both, have them all. It's upto you.
Unfortunately for most having your cake and eating it isn't a viable option but for others it is. Make sure you do your hardest to be in the damn lucky category.

Soldato
Firstly, I was a PC gamer, then a console gamer, and now again a PC Gamer.

Reasons to buy a console:
  • Easy to setup, plug and play no-os issues or driver updates to worry about
  • Your actual friends [IRL] are also most likely on a console, not a PC.
  • Cost is massively in favour - the performance from the next gen of consoles for the price will far outclass the PC
  • Easier to get a console purchase past the wife.
  • Exclusives to PS at least are first on there, if you don't want to wait ages.
For the vast majority of people a console is an easy access way of playing AAA games and again the vast majority mightn't care about the performance differences as they likely haven't seen them i the flesh.

Soldato
PCs just offer more flexibility then consoles. I don't play many newer games these days but I play retro games from the early 90's. Fancy a game of Wing Commander via dosbox or playing Monkey Island via an Amiga emulator or a 3v3 black forest game in Age of Empires 2 from Steam? You won't be doing that on your PS4/5 any time soon. To get an old game running running on a modern PC I can quickly load Firefox and type how to play 'X' Game on windows 10 and there will be guides and videos showing me what I need to do.

Even with the whole walled garden thing the next generation of consoles will be great making 4K gaming accessible on modern titles. They will leave PC's for dust as a good value gaming platform for a good 4/5 years imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of people are afraid of PCs and don't want to troubleshoot anything, and also simply tech-illiterate. That's also a big factor besides up-front cost.

Soldato
OP
It really comes down to circumstances, expectations and budget. Some would argue that you don't need either now that we have cloud gaming.

Like a lot of people on this forum (OP included) I have a budget that means price isn't the main factor to consider, therefore PC is a no brainer. Also like a lot of people here, I have a dedicated room in my house for gaming/cinema and that's a big factor also.

Firstly, I was a PC gamer, then a console gamer, and now again a PC Gamer.

Reasons to buy a console:
  • Easy to setup, plug and play no-os issues or driver updates to worry about
  • Your actual friends [IRL] are also most likely on a console, not a PC.
  • Cost is massively in favour - the performance from the next gen of consoles for the price will far outclass the PC
  • Easier to get a console purchase past the wife.
  • Exclusives to PS at least are first on there, if you don't want to wait ages.
For the vast majority of people a console is an easy access way of playing AAA games and again the vast majority mightn't care about the performance differences as they likely haven't seen them i the flesh.

PCs just offer more flexibility then consoles. I don't play many newer games these days but I play retro games from the early 90's. Fancy a game of Wing Commander via dosbox or playing Monkey Island via an Amiga emulator or a 3v3 black forest game in Age of Empires 2 from Steam? You won't be doing that on your PS4/5 any time soon. To get an old game running running on a modern PC I can quickly load Firefox and type how to play 'X' Game on windows 10 and there will be guides and videos showing me what I need to do.

Even with the whole walled garden thing the next generation of consoles will be great making 4K gaming accessible on modern titles. They will leave PC's for dust as a good value gaming platform for a good 4/5 years imo.

A lot of people are afraid of PCs and don't want to troubleshoot anything, and also simply tech-illiterate. That's also a big factor besides up-front cost.

i think i mis-typed the questions a little. my meaning for this Qs was if you already had a PC and what you would miss if you didnt get a console

Soldato
Isn't the xBox game pass' library much larger than PC? I don't own either so I don't know, but I've read games like RDR2 and others aren't on PC.

Also I'd say the same as others, an xBox is much easier access to video games over PC, easier to move around if you want to bring it round your mates house (often happens with kids).

If you own a great PC and both PC and xBox games are released on the same date then for us it probably isn't worth it.

PlayStation on the other hand, due to many exclusives that they have it's a different story.

Soldato
i think i mis-typed the questions a little. my meaning for this Qs was if you already had a PC and what you would miss if you didnt get a console

I'd never buy an Xbox as their games are available on PC.

I have a PS4 Pro sat next to me simply for exclusives, I wanted to play things like FF7R and P5R as well as a couple of others.

If those games started coming to PC, which it looks like they probably will be in future, I'll have zero reason to buy a PS5 down the line.

Back
Top Bottom