Endoscope for inspecting engine?

Caporegime
I think their use is fairly self explanatory but I don't think you can really diagnose a knocking sound with one (happy to be corrected!). This is more to inspect the state of a stationary engine, looking for things like burnt pistons or bore scoring.

Soldato
You would need some guess of what is going on, with spark plugs out you can do things like checking for piston give and pressure testing and things.

Not very newbie friendly.

Soldato
OP
You would need some guess of what is going on, with spark plugs out you can do things like checking for piston give and pressure testing and things.

Not very newbie friendly.

So take spark plug out and put endoscope down valve slot to see further into engine if you can even do that?

Would need to drain oil first.

Caporegime
So take spark plug out and put endoscope down valve slot to see further into engine if you can even do that?

No offense dude, but these are three very different statements in one post and are telling anyone with a bit of experience in these things that you need to get a proper diagnosis done.

Soldato
The quality of these things are awful btw! especially in dark places (even if they have a built in LED light). I bought one when running network cables through my house, and whilst i'll say it definitely did help, it was really tricky trying to make out what was what due to the really poor quality of the camera.

Associate

Yes, take the spark plug out (including the coil above the plug).
Then you have a spark plug sized hole down into the cylinder head.

If you then put the camera down this hole you should be able to see the piston inside the cylinder.
Note that each piston will be at a different height depending on where the engine stopped when you last turned it off so some cylinders will look very short.

You don't need to drain the oil. All the oil drains by gravity to the bottom of the block so will not escape (spark plugs are usually on the top or side not the bottom!).

Look for scoring/liquids/objects that shouldn't be there. And any damage to the piston crown/valves.

I agree with the above that its very very hard to diagnose a ticking to anything in the cylinder. But there's a chance you'll see something obvious.
Presumably you've googled your car and the noise its making?

Soldato
OP
Yes, take the spark plug out (including the coil above the plug).
Then you have a spark plug sized hole down into the cylinder head.

If you then put the camera down this hole you should be able to see the piston inside the cylinder.
Note that each piston will be at a different height depending on where the engine stopped when you last turned it off so some cylinders will look very short.

You don't need to drain the oil. All the oil drains by gravity to the bottom of the block so will not escape (spark plugs are usually on the top or side not the bottom!).

Look for scoring/liquids/objects that shouldn't be there. And any damage to the piston crown/valves.

I agree with the above that its very very hard to diagnose a ticking to anything in the cylinder. But there's a chance you'll see something obvious.
Presumably you've googled your car and the noise its making?

I've googled a bit, seems to correspond to a rocker arm, pushrod, big end bearing or piston ring. I'm thinking this endoscope thing is a bit of a gimmick.

Soldato
The quality of these things are awful btw! especially in dark places (even if they have a built in LED light). I bought one when running network cables through my house, and whilst i'll say it definitely did help, it was really tricky trying to make out what was what due to the really poor quality of the camera.

+1

Bought one to find a rat which had died under the floorboards, and while I did finally find it, it took a while due to the PQ

Associate
You won’t find a noise with a camera.

you want a long screwdriver handle to ear and pointy end where you think the noise is, you can also get them things doctors use to listen to your heartbeat except this has a pointy probe not a cold flat thing.

just be carful around pulleys as it’s loud and it hurts

Back
Top Bottom