• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does Intel WANT people to hate them??

Soldato
As long as Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus and Acer continue to love Intel, why should they care?

I work in a computer shop and our customers don't watch reviews or keep up with technology.

A computer is viewed as an appliance like a washing machine, kettle, toaster, dishwasher...

Intel is just a brand like Indesit, Hotpoint, Beko etc.

People just walk into a shop and buy a computer without prior knowledge. People in the real world don't watch tech channels on YouTube.

For that reason, Intel will continue to be huge. They don't need to have the fastest CPU to make that happen, just marketing and industry backing from all the major computer brands.

Soldato
Intel has never cared about what the customer wants. It's always been a case of "this is what we're making, this is what you've got to buy", in order to milk the customer. Only now there's better alternatives from AMD.

Soldato
People in the real world are fully aware of what they are buying if they are half sharp. AMD are on full charge currently and Intel flagging. Happened before and likely it'll happen again.
I wall into a computer shop and almost all of the staff don't have a clue what's good or bad. Generalising is false information.

Man of Honour
Tbh XMP is a pain, look at the amount of posts on here "why doesn't my memory run right?" and then there's XMP which doesn't work, or doesn't set the voltage right half the time. 2933 is good enough for the i7/i9 which are more likely to be present in gaming systems or workstations where people will care about maximising performance and 2666 is good enough for the i5/i3.

For everything that AMD doesn't lock down (BIOS upgrades between generations, upper limits on memory support, overclocking), it's a support nightmare and contributes to return rates.

Enthusiasts that know what they're doing usually buy Z motherboards and K series CPUs and they can do whatever they like, sounds alright to me.

Soldato
Or use z490

At double the price of b550 - the below Linus facepalm is the perfect response to your comment

no wonder AMd has 90% of Retail CPU sales for the last 8 months straight which has caused to globally lose market share by the 15% to AMD - If this continues after another 12 months AMD will be the market leader in market share and Intel will be the underdog

Soldato
Z490 isn't double the price of B550, not sure where Linus does his shopping.

perhaps some over exaggerating on his part. I checked the pc store I shop at and the cheapest b550 board is 45% cheaper than the cheapest z490 - that's nothing to sniff at. So you have to spend nearly 50% more your motherboard if you want your ram to run higher than 2400mhz on Intel

Man of Honour
You can get cheaper B550 ones sure, but a lot of the major boards like the MSI Tomahawk & Pro and Asus Prime & TUF, they're not far apart.

You could argue B550 actually has a better feature set, but still.

Associate
At double the price of b550 - the below Linus facepalm is the perfect response to your comment

no wonder AMd has 90% of Retail CPU sales for the last 8 months straight which has caused to globally lose market share by the 15% to AMD - If this continues after another 12 months AMD will be the market leader in market share and Intel will be the underdog

Do you have a source for that 90% claim or is just that german shop?

Man of Honour
Can someone sum up the video for those of us who are social media challenged? :p
From memory:
Intel lock down features behind a paywall (i.e. Z mobos and K CPUs)
Now that AMD offer more features than them, with similar performance (like unlocked multipliers and full memory support on all B450/B550 mobos), it is not acceptable to give away performance
Z mobos are double the price of AMD B mobos that offer these features, so they're anti-consumer
Intel should allow memory higher than 2933 for i7/i9 and 2666 for i3/i5 immediately
******* off enthusiasts hits sales because they recommend systems for friends and family

Back
Top Bottom