Employee Benefits WFH

Soldato
Where I work they didn't furlow a single person. So naturally all the parents stated they can't work their full hours due to child care issues, but get paid in full. Where the people with no children or family are expected to work full time and pick up the slack..... Maybe I'm a little bitter as I'm in the latter, but a bit unfair tbh.
As a parent whose child was not at school and both me and my wife have worked through (I was furloughed for 3 weeks), it's been hard. We've had to rely on grandparents throughout as I would have had to take a 60% pay cut which we can't afford. My job is practical so couldn't work from home. I'm jealous of the ones that can:p.

Edit: that guy above complaining about his electric, how much time have you saved on your 24 mile commute? People seem to overlook this. I bet people that are genuinely worse off are such a tiny minority. I imagine the worst thing for most will be having a desk to setup a PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
As a parent whose child was not at school and both me and my wife have worked through (I was furloughed for 3 weeks), it's been hard. We've had to rely on grandparents throughout as I would have had to take a 60% pay cut which we can't afford. My job is practical so couldn't work from home. I'm jealous of the ones that can:p.

Edit: that guy above complaining about his electric, how much time have you saved on your 24 mile commute? People seem to overlook this. I bet people that are genuinely worse off are such a tiny minority. I imagine the worst thing for most will be having a desk to setup a PC.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, far from it, just pointing out that just because "you" are saving £xxx in commuting doesn't mean everyone else is.

I'm perfectly happy paying the extra in bills to work from home, and in fact when things are back to normal I'll be asking if it is an option to become a permanent thing

Associate
I'm lucky in that my company operates in an industry that has been growing more quickly than expected due to Covid-19. The upside is that vast majority of jobs have been safe. The downside is that we are not hiring very much, so that growth plus a few other factors related to WFH have led to a higher workload and stress levels. Since lockdown started, we've had the benefit of an additional 6 company wide days off in total, and that has helped balance things out.

Last edited:
Soldato
* we have been allocated extra time out too look after childern if required (paid) up to 2 weeks
* our flexitime was there anyway.
* payment for Equipment that we think we need
* no pressure to go back at all.
* if you do go in full body sensors scan you before you enter any building if your to hot you get sent home to isolate.
* sounds like we wont be returning to full staff until Jan-Feb Next year by sounds of it.

* you can voluteer to help the company send out free food deliveries by using your time to drive company cars full of food to the vunerable & elderly.
whilst not a benefit the company has given away loads of food for a good cause

Last edited:
Soldato
The only benefit/allowance I think employers should offer is flexitime to deal with children that weren't able to attend school/childcare as a result of Covid. Although seeing as the school summer holidays have now kicked in this is less applicable for the next six weeks.

Soldato
The only benefit/allowance I think employers should offer is flexitime to deal with children that weren't able to attend school/childcare as a result of Covid. Although seeing as the school summer holidays have now kicked in this is less applicable for the next six weeks.

Indeed except for teachers who have kids.. who need to go to school to prep next year

Teachers really have got the short straw

* Not provided face masks for return to work
* Has to work through Easter
* May be asked to work through 6 weeks
* Thinking it's fine for all kids to go back as they are less likely to have issues but you got 50+ staff members being in close proximity to 20+ family circles

* Let's not forget children pickup time when you got 500 kids + 500 parents picking up.
* It's all bull, yet teachers and police get no well done or pat on the backs like other key workers.
* Teachers cannot say they won't turn to work as it's too dangerous as the union says it's up to local councils and you may loose your job.

* Know a few teachers in there 60s 70s they should not going in but some may have no choice it's death or there house..

Soldato
Expecting additional benefits is (in most cases) pretty entitled IMO. Most people will save more on transport costs than they'll spend on heating/electric, especially during the summer. Continuing to have a paying job is also under-rated (although I'd exchange a few months off for 80% pay in a heartbeat, but then I'm fortunate enough not to be on the bread-line to begin with).

That said, some employers will offer them to retain or attract talent. My employer has had 3 additional company-wide holiday days, on designated dates, this year so far. I believe there's also a $250 allowance per employee for gear needed for WFH, such as a new chair. Gym allowance was already pretty decent/flexible, such that I've got a new set of weights on company expenses instead of of an actual gym allowance.

I am working from home and while doing it for reasons connected to Covid Im being as flexible as I can possibly be. Im using my own IT kit, my own desk and chair, my own mobile phone etc etc. I wouldnt dream of claiming for electricity or heating as my wife and kids are at home anyway.

However we have just been told that as our building will have capacity slashed to 1/3 due to distancing we are unlikely to be back in the short to medium term and if we can work from home we should continue to do so. At what point does my goodwill change? When do I ask for a work phone, another computer, desk, chair, electricity allowance etc etc. I don't want to work from home and feel Covid is enabling it to be foisted on people who wouldnt dream of taking a job where it was expected. My house is my place of rest not my place of work and I want to separate the two. Yes Im lucky in as much as I live in quite a large property but that doesn't mean I want to spend all day every day there!

Also while Im saving money on my commute to work (50 miles a day round trip drive) it must be noted that I live in a rural area and work in the main town where my elderly parents also live so now all my shopping, caring responsibilities and leisure activities (when they resume properly) will require a specific trip rather than being tagged onto my working day.

Soldato
I am working from home and while doing it for reasons connected to Covid Im being as flexible as I can possibly be....
However we have just been told that as our building will have capacity slashed to 1/3 due to distancing we are unlikely to be back in the short to medium term and if we can work from home we should continue to do so.... I don't want to work from home and feel Covid is enabling it to be foisted on people who wouldnt dream of taking a job where it was expected....

I think that the vast majority of companies will expect at least some WFH from now on. The savings to the company due to not needing as much office space can be tremendous, as well as too good of an opportunity to virtue signal and being seen to be doing "the right thing" (in light of COVID). I think that it's going be very hard to find an equivalently highly paid job that's 100% on-site without any enforced use of PPE and social distancing. Given the choice, I'd much rather work from home where I don't need to wear PPE.

Last edited:
Associate
I am working from home and while doing it for reasons connected to Covid Im being as flexible as I can possibly be. Im using my own IT kit, my own desk and chair, my own mobile phone etc etc. I wouldnt dream of claiming for electricity or heating as my wife and kids are at home anyway.

However we have just been told that as our building will have capacity slashed to 1/3 due to distancing we are unlikely to be back in the short to medium term and if we can work from home we should continue to do so. At what point does my goodwill change? When do I ask for a work phone, another computer, desk, chair, electricity allowance etc etc. I don't want to work from home and feel Covid is enabling it to be foisted on people who wouldnt dream of taking a job where it was expected. My house is my place of rest not my place of work and I want to separate the two. Yes Im lucky in as much as I live in quite a large property but that doesn't mean I want to spend all day every day there!

Also while Im saving money on my commute to work (50 miles a day round trip drive) it must be noted that I live in a rural area and work in the main town where my elderly parents also live so now all my shopping, caring responsibilities and leisure activities (when they resume properly) will require a specific trip rather than being tagged onto my working day.

So you'd prefer not to work from home. Fine, I get that and I even sympathise. But why should you get anything extra from your employer for doing so? Just because you don't want to? Not a good enough argument I'm afraid (not good enough to convince most employers I mean).

When the norm was working from the office 9-5 5 days a week, did most employers give a crap how long your commute is? Do they care how much it costs? No. They expect you to get to the office and work the same hours as everyone else for the same benefits. The argument for extra benefits for WFH are far weaker than the argument for extra benefits if you have to commute, but most people don't get anything extra for commuting, they just have to suck it up.

If you're in demand in your sector then you may be able to negotiate something with your current employer, or be able to move to a better one, but the majority will just have to suck it up, and be grateful for anything their employer does offer.

Soldato
So you'd prefer not to work from home. Fine, I get that and I even sympathise. But why should you get anything extra from your employer for doing so? Just because you don't want to? Not a good enough argument I'm afraid (not good enough to convince most employers I mean).

When the norm was working from the office 9-5 5 days a week, did most employers give a crap how long your commute is? Do they care how much it costs? No. They expect you to get to the office and work the same hours as everyone else for the same benefits. The argument for extra benefits for WFH are far weaker than the argument for extra benefits if you have to commute, but most people don't get anything extra for commuting, they just have to suck it up.

If you're in demand in your sector then you may be able to negotiate something with your current employer, or be able to move to a better one, but the majority will just have to suck it up, and be grateful for anything their employer does offer.

Im not complaining about my commute am I? I took the job and bought the house with full disclosure. I didn't take the job to do it from home, its a fundamental shift in conditions. If they want me to work from home - and save money as a result, then they have to provide me with the equipment to do it. I shouldn't be sitting in my own chair, at my own desk using my own computer and personal mobile phone. Thats fine in the middle of a pandemic where we have to be flexible but it not right as a long term solution. They should either provide me with these tools or pay me to get them myself. Thats not unreasonable.

The point you are missing is the change in circumstances not of your choosing. If you take a job that involves working from home at the outset then obviously thats on you. When you have it effectively forced up you that is different.

Associate
Im not complaining about my commute am I? I took the job and bought the house with full disclosure. I didn't take the job to do it from home, its a fundamental shift in conditions. If they want me to work from home - and save money as a result, then they have to provide me with the equipment to do it. I shouldn't be sitting in my own chair, at my own desk using my own computer and personal mobile phone. Thats fine in the middle of a pandemic where we have to be flexible but it not right as along term solution. They should either provide me with these tools or pay me to get them myself. Thats not unreasonable.

The point you are missing is the change in circumstances not of your choosing. If you take a job that involves working from home at the outset then obviously that on you. When you have it effectively forced up you that is different.

Meh. It's them you have to convince, not me. Life's changed dramatically for just about everyone. Doesn't necessarily follow that someone has to compensate you for that. Good luck though.

Soldato
Meh. It's them you have to convince, not me. Life's changed dramatically for just about everyone. Doesn't necessarily follow that someone has to compensate you for that. Good luck though.

Im not trying to convince you. I also don't know where you got "compensate" from either. Seems you read what you want to see rather than whats there.

Would you take a job where you were using all your own IT gear, mobile phone, desk, chair etc etc? IT security was of tremendous importance prior the the pandemic now it doesn't seem to be an issue. I was constantly having to risk assess my desk also, now I could be sitting on a clothes pole for all anyone is bothered. Again that is fine short term under these extraordinary circumstances but is not acceptable as a long term "new normal"

Associate
Im not trying to convince you. I also don't know where you got "compensate" from either. Seems you read what you want to see rather than whats there.

Would you take a job where you were using all your own IT gear, mobile phone, desk, chair etc etc? IT security was of tremendous importance prior the the pandemic now it doesn't seem to be an issue. I was constantly having to risk assess my desk also, now I could be sitting on a clothes pole for all anyone is bothered. Again that is fine short term under these extraordinary circumstances but is not acceptable as a long term "new normal"

Seems to me you're trying to pick a fight. But I'm really not interested, just trying to look at it from the point of view of most (not all, you might be lucky) employers.

compensate
verb
1. give (someone) something, typically money, in recognition of loss, suffering, or injury incurred; recompense.
2. reduce or counteract (something unwelcome or unpleasant) by exerting an opposite force or effect.

Pretty sure that's the right word in this situation.

Answer to your question? Yes. In fact, I am right now. (Software developer, FWIW). I don't have a problem with it personally.

A VPN sorts out many of the security issues. My company's checks whether you have updates and a virus checker before it'll let you sign on.

Not sure what health and safety reponsibilities the employer would have if you're using your own gear. If they're providing it then of course they have a responsibility to make sure it's up to the job. If not, maybe they don't, not sure.

Soldato
... Again that is fine short term under these extraordinary circumstances but is not acceptable as a long term "new normal"

I empathize with you. For some of my colleagues who are extroverted and enjoy being around their colleagues, being effectively on house arrest with the lockdowns (in California) is really draining for them. I can see why someone may not want to WFH forever and why you might feel that "this isn't what you signed up for". The issue that you will likely face is in finding a (new) employer that is willing to restore your previous 9-5 onsite working arrangement. I don't think that you'll find (m)any. Not needing to have people physically work in a large rented and maintained large office space anymore is just too good for most companies' bottom line.

Back
Top Bottom