Living Room floor

Soldato
We have a carpet on the living room but are considering laminate/wooden flooring.

12m x4m but are worried it will be cold/loud?

Is hard flooring loud with echo etc?

Soldato
I changed mine to engineered oak last year (from carpet). I can hear some echo from my speaker system but I've got a rug on order that will be going in front of it which should help. It's not been too bad IMO.

With regards to being cold, mine does not feel cold at all. I laid it in September last year and did not have a cold floor all winter. Wood is a natural insulator.

Build log if interested (bit of network install stuff before hand):

https://imgur.com/a/O64caQN

Soldato
Engineered hardwood would be my choice. Not cold and you get the real wood look and feel but in a more stable package - less expansion and contraction, no warping etc. Its very easy to lay as well, most floors are suitable for floating. Laminate is just crap TBH.

Soldato
Laminate is just crap TBH.

I've got engineered oak myself, but I must say if you're on a budget some of the modern laminates do looks miles better than the ones from previous generations. They're much thicker now 12mm and have textured tops so look more realistic. I wouldn't rule them out entirely especially on high traffic areas where you wouldn't want to risk an expensive wood floor being damaged.

Caporegime
I lived in a place with real parquet flooring and it didn't create an echo, the front room was massive compared to an english house as well.
kid's running around on the floor is pretty annoying though like elephant thuds.

it didn't feel cold and was easy to keep clean compared to a carpet

Man of Honour
As above I was concerned it might be cold but never noticed it however the noise was definitely different to carpet and worse though it never really bothered me (but did some of the other people living with me).

Soldato
i am going to be controversial ;) and say that i have always laid my laminate over carpet ,not the thick pile stuff but when we bought this it was all that thin contract carpet stuff ,clean but naff,
so its very quiet ,definitely not cold ,used this homebase stuff afew times and its very very stain resistant and hard wearing ,cheap but accurately made and easy to lay

IMG-20200410-170140.jpg

Soldato
Our engineered oak flooring is laid over some sort of underlay which makes it less noisy apparently, I really like it as its easy to keep clean and looking good, it's in most of the downstairs of our house but we do have carpet in the lounge.

Soldato
To echo the above (pun intended), we haven't noticed any extra echoing - when the room was just done and it was empty there was a bit of an echo, but with furniture and rugs on the floor it's not noticeable at all

Associate
I do prefer carpet in living room and bedrooms but that odd laminate one above and the fancy wooden floor both look really nice! I think a wooden or laminate floor definitely needs a decent rug or two for cosmetic and to reduce echo.

Back
Top Bottom