GT3, GT3RS, 600LT or Lambo Performante?

Soldato
Hi guys. A true first world problem here. I'm looking at getting into a new car and the shortlist is:

991.2 GT3 (~£130k)
991.2 GT3RS (~£175k)
600LT (£140k Coupe or £165k Spider)
Hurucan Performante (~£175k)

Goals for the car are road trips and track days. I actually drive my cars, so it won't be a garage ornament. I'd probably put around 6000 miles a year on the car. I'm currently in a GT4, so another Porsche GT product is maybe not as exciting as jumping into another brand, but the cars are so good ...

The 600LT Spider probably excites me the most. I think it's the best looking car out of them all. Maybe the fastest and has a real drama with the roof, fancy doors and top exit exhausts. Downsides are of course the infamous McLaren build quality and concerns over reliability/niggles.

The Lambo isn't a car I'd ever considered before, but by all accounts it's supposed to be an incredible car. It has true supercar looks unlike a GT3. Reliability should be good.

Also, residuals are obviously a concern, hence I'm looking at £140k 600LT's which have already lost a huge chunk of change since their release.

So, over to you... what would you go for, and why?

Soldato
Definitely not a 600LT. Won’t hold its value and woefully unreliable.

For mixed road / track use sad to say but the GT3 is probably the best bet.

The RS is too hardcore for the road. Performante, great tho will probably disappoint vs the feel of a GT4 / GT3 etc.

Soldato
I was going to suggest a GT4 until I saw you had one. The Gt3 is not huge change from what you have now.
600LT. Will be a huge pin to sell on and will keep tanking.

lambo well you need to drive it and see if it’s for you. Me coming from a GT4 and a 911 I did not like the standard Hurucan that much.

what about a 488 or 458. I think that’s where I would put my money.

OcUK Staff
Driven them all so feel I can comment:

991.2 GT3 - Get the manual for involvement, makes a big difference or the PDK if you want slightly faster acceleration or ability to just select auto and relax on long road trips.
991.2 GT3 RS - I lie not driven this, but driven previous generation which was PDK only, again superb. Both the Porsches give great feel but the longer gearing does somewhat kill the fun a bit and though they are epic Porsche does not have that vibe or supercar nostalgia you'd get with other marques.
600LT - Best car Mclaren makes hands down for involvement, but it is a tweaked 570S with fancy exhaust and 60k more, they are guaranteed to crash more, a 720S is also 140k now but I'd take 600LT over it every time.
Performante - Easily by far the most exhilarating and most special of all the cars, its got the looks and the noise and is mighty fast. Its downsides the car does not get you buzzing from pushing it hard because when you start to push hard you will be 150mph plus on a public road, it massively lacks engagement at legal speeds, but if even doing 20mph it looks and sounds awesome.

If I had to take one of those 4 it would be between GT3 and Performante. I'd suggest Ferrari but their newer stuff is a bit meh as all turbocharged and why I went 458 and for me the 458 has huge engagement and involvement at legal speeds which for me was very important.

OcUK Staff
See I considered a 458 but it's an old car now which puts me off a little. On the flip side, probably won't depreciate too much and has a wonderful N/A engine.

Just got to drive them really, I drove them all and the 458 was the most engaging and fun, like you it gets driven often and its given me zero issues and judging by the market not moved much in price either. The only other car that I'd consider from Ferrari is 812 Superfast, but those are circa 250k used at present I think.

Man of Honour
If it was me personally, out of that list it would be the Performante all day long. I've heard too many horror stories about McLaren to ever want to own one, and Porsche just do nothing for me.

Soldato
I think if money's not an issue I'd take the 600LT. It will be the best track car for sure, and something special. Performante in 2nd place. But chances are the Porsche's will be much cheaper to own.

I'd also add a 720s to the list!

OcUK Staff
Track days included, then GT3.

This absolutely, sorry I'd never buy a Mclaren as a track car as they simply do not have the build quality or reliability reputation to be reliable and their after service is very questionable.
A 911 GT3 can be hammered day after day on track and just take it in its stride and should you have an issue then Porsche also have fantastic warranty and service, confirmed with the whole 991.1 GT3 engine issues, where Porsche increased warranty to ten years on all cars and should an issue arise the engine will be replaced for a newer series engine less likely to have the issue.

The 600LT is epic, but if I was buying with a lot of track days in mind then it has to be Porsche all the way as they are essentially race cars for the road.

Soldato
sorry I'd never buy a Mclaren as a track car as they simply do not have the build quality or reliability reputation to be reliable and their after service is very questionable

This is so important, it needs to be said twice

sorry I'd never buy a Mclaren as a track car as they simply do not have the build quality or reliability reputation to be reliable and their after service is very questionable

OcUK Staff
This is so important, it needs to be said twice

It is really quite saddening because I am sure many here would love to see a British brand do so well, they had such a good start as they had an awesome product, but just tweaking the same engine/chassis as started to make the lineup a bit dull and Mclaren do not treat customers buying used cars as they do new cars, in fact at times they just do not seem interested and then the reliability woes and some shocking after service reports will be their demise.

Not blowing Ferrari's whistle but Ferrari give FREE breakdown cover for all Ferrari's of any age as long as you sign up for it and Ferrari will also contribute towards restoration of older models too. Their motto is simple any Ferrari on the road they want it to be in pristine condition as to them whether its an old 355, F40 or the latest 488 Pista, they want them to make people go wow, they treat all their customers to very high standards, well the two dealerships I have visited were fantastic and the free trips have been great fun and learning more about the brand. They may not always have the best car but the ownership experience is easily the best of any marque I have experienced which I think is a major contributor when buying a supercar or any car for that matter. :)

Caporegime
Reading on Pistonheads McLaren are getting better at build quality and customer relationships compared to how they were before and there are some terrible stories about all manufacturers out there too.

Soldato
It is really quite saddening because I am sure many here would love to see a British brand do so well, they had such a good start as they had an awesome product, but just tweaking the same engine/chassis as started to make the lineup a bit dull and Mclaren do not treat customers buying used cars as they do new cars, in fact at times they just do not seem interested and then the reliability woes and some shocking after service reports will be their demise.

Not blowing Ferrari's whistle but Ferrari give FREE breakdown cover for all Ferrari's of any age as long as you sign up for it and Ferrari will also contribute towards restoration of older models too. Their motto is simple any Ferrari on the road they want it to be in pristine condition as to them whether its an old 355, F40 or the latest 488 Pista, they want them to make people go wow, they treat all their customers to very high standards, well the two dealerships I have visited were fantastic and the free trips have been great fun and learning more about the brand. They may not always have the best car but the ownership experience is easily the best of any marque I have experienced which I think is a major contributor when buying a supercar or any car for that matter. :)

Yep. It's a real shame. Whilst I'm not fortunate enough to be able to own either car, close family members are. Both Mclaren and Aston Martin have had some serious issues with build quality. In contrast, ferrari are in another league.
You'd actual think it was the other way around.

OcUK Staff
Yep. It's a real shame. Whilst I'm not fortunate enough to be able to own either car, close family members are. Both Mclaren and Aston Martin have had some serious issues with build quality. In contrast, ferrari are in another league.
You'd actual think it was the other way around.

To be honest when I started looking at Ferrari’s I went in expecting poor build quality and apart from having indicators from a Punto the actual interior quality and build quantity is something else and it’s never let me down and so far has being probably the cheapest car I’ve owned servicing, parts and mod wise as I’ve literally done nothing apart from put fuel in and it does drink a lot of fuel but now I own an M5 V10 the Ferrari is somewhat economical in comparison lol.

Back
Top Bottom