Hello,

Recently put together my new build

3700x
MSI b550m mortar mag
16gb 8pack ddr4 ram
5700xt
Seasonic x850w
Western digital blue nvme M2 1tb

I created a windows 10 usb bootable drive using the windows tool on another pc and I get as far as installing it all and then it restarts and loops the windows logo then freezes.

Im uploading a video to YT now and will link it in a bit

I've tried one stick of either ram, tried without the gpu, have reinserted the power cables, have moved the M2 drive from one slot to the other.

I've tried reinstalling windows 3 times now and get the same issue but sometimes it'll show the spinning dots and the MAG logo and get stuck there instead.

I can get into the bios ok but it won't load windows.

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: https://youtu.be/54_FJu7Lj2o

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the BIOS up to date? Have you tried with the BIOS at stock settings? With DOCP enabled? Have you tried slipstreaming the motherboard drivers?

Are you installing off a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port?

Soldato
Run the memory test listed at the bottom of the install selection screen before you start installing see what happens. Then if it dies again, check your temperatures in the UEFI/BIOS.

Soldato
OP
You've tried the usual suspects. Maybe download the iso file and start over?

Redownloading as we speak

Is the BIOS up to date? Have you tried with the BIOS at stock settings? With DOCP enabled? Have you tried slipstreaming the motherboard drivers?

Are you installing off a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port?
Haven't done anything in the bios so it should be stock,

I'm not sure if the bios is up to date, there seems to be a different one listed on MSI website so I might try that later.

I'll look in the bios for docp, what do you mean slipstreaming the drivers?

All the ports are usb 3 I think, regardless I've tried 3 different ports, one on the front and two on the rear

Run the memory test listed at the bottom of the install selection screen before you start installing see what happens. Then if it dies again, check your temperatures in the UEFI/BIOS.

I'll have a look for the memory test and post back if it does anything.

Soldato
OP
Yes if you want to wipe it and use the whole drive for your OS install.
I wiped the drive using the bios and tried to reinstall and I still get the same issue.

Windows "installs" then does a reboot gets to the splash screen and freezes.

I'm out of ideas now, everything seems to work and shows up but it doesn't install windows. Might try the ssd from my old pc and see if I can boot with that edit: can't do that because I need another cable for my psu which is at home lol.

At this point I'm considering giving it to a repair shop and see what they can do.

Soldato
At this point I'm considering giving it to a repair shop and see what they can do.

If you are close by I am happy to have a look for you. :)

Windows "installs" then does a reboot gets to the splash screen and freezes.

I've had this before but it was a faulty piece of hardware that caused it. I have seen some instances of a forced power off working to get around it, just prior to the install resetting, hold the power button down, and then do that same thing after you get to the BIOS screen on the reboot. It's probably not going to work but won't cost you anything to try it. :)

Soldato
OP
If you are close by I am happy to have a look for you. :)

I've had this before but it was a faulty piece of hardware that caused it. I have seen some instances of a forced power off working to get around it, just prior to the install resetting, hold the power button down, and then do that same thing after you get to the BIOS screen on the reboot. It's probably not going to work but won't cost you anything to try it. :)

I'm in the Stoke area and would happily bring it to you if you're willing to have a go.

If it's a faulty piece of hardware then I'd have to replace that part surely? Thing is I don't even know where to start. Going to follow the fault finding guide on here tomorrow and see if I can find anything

Soldato
I'm in the Stoke area and would happily bring it to you if you're willing to have a go.

If it's a faulty piece of hardware then I'd have to replace that part surely? Thing is I don't even know where to start. Going to follow the fault finding guide on here tomorrow and see if I can find anything

It's worth having another go with, that is for sure. If you want to pop over that is no issue either, I am sure we can figure out the fault if there is one, and I have spares etc. :)

Associate
When installing Windows will load the bare minimum drivers, then on the restart it will try to load some drivers.
Now it is possible that some hardware is faulty and it hangs when it starts to get stressed, equally there could be some default driver which crashes when started.

Your installation is with or without Internet? As if it's with the Internet it's even possible that it downloads some drivers before the first restart and those aren't 100%. Might be worth trying the install without/with Internet depending on what you have already tried.

Also, Windows setup does create log files while installing. Log files can be hard to read but looks like Microsoft have a tool for that:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windo...-files-to-troubleshoot-installation-problems/

Never had to use and it does go on about upgrade so not 100% if it's relevant.

One simple way to test some hardware which people tend to forget is downloading a live Linux.

Boot of that and see if it loads. If it does then you can rule out most hardware.

Live Linuxes used to all come with MemTest86 too but since that old 16-bit program no longer works with UEFI. If you suspect memory should be able to find a MemTest86+ standalone download but AFAIK you have to boot in BIOS not UEFI mode. The Linux kernel can test memory too but that's more complicated.

maj

maj

Soldato
You could try injecting the chipset drives into the bootable ISO you created. Also +1 on trying to install linux to rule it out being hardware related.

Soldato
OP
Update on this,

All is working now, user Journey had a go at it and managed to get it all working.

I would say what was causing it but I don't know, he might chime in with an answer but it could have been something like my bootable USB was just not working properly or just pure luck. There was one setting he changed in the bios that I forget the name of but he didn't think that would have caused the issue.

Soldato
Sorry yes, I've been mega busy today. I changed the CSM setting in the BIOS as my USB was not setup for UEFI booting, but it would seem very odd if that stopped the install working correctly. We did see that weird duplication effect after a small pause one the system had restarted where is would lock up. Like you said maybe the ISO/USB you used was corrupted in some way.

I'm glad it is all working for you though, it was a pleasure to meet you and great to be able to help a fellow long term forum user out of an annoying situation. :)
My fish was delish. :D

Back
Top Bottom