Why consoles Anymore?

Soldato
There are basic similarities but there are also massive differences. The consumer PC market doesn't appear to have anything remotely similar to the PS5's storage architecture, for example.
Because there is zero need for it. All the ssd marketing hype its just a way to mask the pathetic amount of memory that the ps5 will have. Its just another cost-cutting measure since memory is expensive.

Soldato
Because there is zero need for it. All the ssd marketing hype its just a way to mask the pathetic amount of memory that the ps5 will have. Its just another cost-cutting measure since memory is expensive.

Have you watched/read the coverage of it so far though? I was reasonably sceptical myself given the sacrifice for the high-performance SSD is a relatively unremarkable amount of storage, but as long as it's utilised properly by developers it will literally be a game-changer, as in it will change how games are designed. The fast storage means it doesn't need a massive amount of RAM.

Soldato
Have you watched/read the coverage of it so far though? I was reasonably sceptical myself given the sacrifice for the high-performance SSD is a relatively unremarkable amount of storage, but as long as it's utilised properly by developers it will literally be a game-changer, as in it will change how games are designed. The fast storage means it doesn't need a massive amount of RAM.
An ssd will never substitute ram. I read a detailed analysis on unreal engine 5 nanite streaming technology and it concluded that even a standard 500mb/s SSD is enough so that the gpu becomes the bottleneck. Its all PR talk from Sony developers.

Soldato
An ssd will never substitute ram.

In some cases it will. Instead of having to load data from a HDD into RAM ready for if or when it's needed, it can be pulled straight from storage whilst the RAM is used more effectively.

I read a detailed analysis on unreal engine 5 nanite streaming technology and it concluded that even a standard 500mb/s SSD is enough so that the gpu becomes the bottleneck. Its all PR talk from Sony developers.

UE5 is a multiplatform engine, it makes sense they'd target a wider demographic of hardware.

It's not PR talk when the tech is in each PS5. It exists, it can be used, it's up to developers to use it.

Caporegime
An ssd will never substitute ram. I read a detailed analysis on unreal engine 5 nanite streaming technology and it concluded that even a standard 500mb/s SSD is enough so that the gpu becomes the bottleneck. Its all PR talk from Sony developers.

So why have they spent countless hours and $$$ making the PS5 SSD 10x faster than "needed", rewritten all the I/O software to eliminate bottlenecks and designed their own silicon beyond what PCI Express NVMe provides? Did they get bored one Thursday winter afternoon in Tokyo? Jesus.

Soldato
So why have they spent countless hours and $$$ making the PS5 SSD 10x faster than "needed", rewritten all the I/O software to eliminate bottlenecks and designed their own silicon beyond what PCI Express NVMe provides? Did they get bored one Thursday winter afternoon in Tokyo? Jesus.
They didn't, making gimmicks doesn't cost as much as you think. Consoles are always about cutting costs down and hyping up an unnecessary gimmick has always been standard business (The cell, the cloud, kinect etc).

Soldato
I have considered a console because i can't always be bothered to sit at my computer to game, sometimes i would like to just get comfy on the sofa and play a racing game or a few rounds of Warzone.

I'll be picking up the new Xbox console as that's what all my friends use, i am the only one who plays games on a computer.

Caporegime
They didn't, making gimmicks doesn't cost as much as you think. Consoles are always about cutting costs down and hyping up an unnecessary gimmick has always been standard business (The cell, the cloud, kinect etc).

OK, well let's see what happens. I'm expecting great things from PlayStation Studios with it at least. Not so much anybody else as they still have to work for lowest-common denominator.

Soldato
Q1: Why do you need to buy an Xbox anymore (if you have a pc)? Am i missing somthing.?

Q2: What does an Xbox Give thaat PC doesnt have?

Q3: Why Playstation going forward?

Q4:What do you miss from not having a Console? and saving £500/1000 in process for upgrades you need on pc?

Q1 - Depends on your PC. If it isn't that good its going to cost a lot more than an xbox to get half decent performance.

If you already harmve a decent PC then it boils down to what you want as a consumer and how you want to consume your gaming content and that is personal preference. There isn't really a right or wrong answer.

Q2 - Truthfully not a lot and personal preference plays a large role.

Console games generally just work and are stable. They tend to have a larger player base for games and a larger community. You are likely to know more people gaming on xbox than pc.

Console gaming is easier to do on a sofa and split screen / coop is fun if the other half or friends want to play. Generally in that regard consoles are more sociable.

Q3 - ps5 is likely to take consoles to a level where differences in fidelity and frame rates vs a PC will matter less. Or at least that is the hope. As daft as it sounds I think it will boil down to frame rates for a lot of people. Next gen consoles will need to default to 4k60 to have any hope of being a viable alternative to a decent pc. There are also likely to be some good exclusives but as with HZD they may well be timed.

Q4 - can't answer fully as I have two + my gaming laptop. But I do enjoy single player story orientated games on my consoles on a nice big 4k screen. I feel that's what I would miss the most - comfy sofa based cinematic gaming! :)

Soldato
For all the cheapness of the consoles, the games are often rather expensive, I wonder where the breakeven point really is? Especially if you don't actually need 4k gaming. I'm not personally going to be moving to a 4k monitor, happy with my 1440p, and don't have a 4k tv yet.

Soldato
Whilst I prefer my PC, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be upgrading it for. My mates are almost exclusively on console and most of the games I now play are multi-platformers.

After having played and completed The Last of Us, there are zero exclusives I'm even remotely interested in that are console exclusives. I have no interest in playing kids **** or arcadey racers, so have no interest in the PS5. Buying the Xbox whilst I have a capable PC isn't a great option, especially since a number of titles are playable now on PC.. However, I'll probably be heading that way and keeping my 1080 for quite some time yet.

Soldato
I think it was digital foundry who did a video explaining why they were fairly certain most games would aim for 4k 30 not 4k60 and of so that is a hammer blow for me from the off.
They used Spiderman on PS4 pro and reencoded a video to run at 60fps and it looked lovely.

But they suggested that would use the lions share of the PS5s grunt and that was without computationally expensive new features like ray tracing.

A new console wants to go big on shiny visuals to get a wow factor. For some frame rate with give that wow fact but for more it would be eye candy lime in that UE5 tech demo. It is unlikely The PS5 could do both 4k 60 AND massively improve detail levels AND have ray tracing. Given frame rate has the least wow factor in screenshots and YouTube videos and many console gamers don't really know what they are missing with 60fps..... DF (I think it was) said a locked.4K30 was here to stay for the majority of new games

Soldato
So if games start maxing out a Zen 2 8C/16T CPU and a 10Tflop RDNA2 GPU for 4K30, what kind of PC setup are you going to need for 144Hz at 1440p?
So much like many console gamers have never experienced a solid 60fps in the majority of their games (outside of VR) I am in the same boat with FPS greater than 60 and I am happy to keep it that way.
At moment with a 1080ti I play new games at QHD 60 with ease on full bubble and older games at 4k 60.
I always felt with Turing it was not a true always 4k 60 gpu (which is what I want next) with ray tracing on however I am planning a huge upgrade this winter . My current rig is from 2015 all bar my gpu (was an amazing black Friday i7 5820k deal from here) but I don't think it will take the new gpu I am planning without bottlenecking it.

So what I am looking for is a true 4k/60 with ray tracing at full bubble system and for that I think I may be looking at a Ryzen 4xxx system with 32gb (I want it to last 5 years or so so happy to push the boat out) and then likely a close to top of the line RTX 3080ti equivalent. That is my target kind of performance.

Proper 4k is a huge drain on resources and ray tracing on top is a big ask. I think raytracing is going to really take off next year however once AMD have a card capable and once consoles can do it as well.

Last edited:
Associate
people always say that.

what are you guys doing to your pcs? cos I almost never have issues, very rarely do I update drivers.

my nvidia drivers are usually months out of date

most new consoles usually the first model has a ton of issues

You do say almost :p

I've had a few issues with PC, AMD drivers have been annoying recently. RE2 prefers an older driver, Halo prefers a newer for example, kinda weird. My PC appears to not play nice with my AV Receiver also. Console however i didn't have these issues.

My 360 was flawless, my XB1 had a noisy HDD on arrival however, quickly exchanged by the supermarket though. Also paid for that with mostly clubcard points on a triple bonus points thing they had at the time too.

So yeah, it varies.

Caporegime
You do say almost :p

I've had a few issues with PC, AMD drivers have been annoying recently. RE2 prefers an older driver, Halo prefers a newer for example, kinda weird. My PC appears to not play nice with my AV Receiver also. Console however i didn't have these issues.

My 360 was flawless, my XB1 had a noisy HDD on arrival however, quickly exchanged by the supermarket though. Also paid for that with mostly clubcard points on a triple bonus points thing they had at the time too.

So yeah, it varies.
I said almost incase someone dug deep in my post history :p

one of my HDD keeps disappearing but its due to a faulty cable it seems.

it's been crushed against my side panel for a few years, my pc will crash, some drives will be missing or just one, I smack the side of the case a few times and it will come back and be fine for ages.

drivers issues I've not had any in years, not needing to change drivers because of corruption or whatever in games.

in all the pc's ive had I think only one graphics card ever died.

I remember back in the day though with amd being horrible when they had the catalyst drivers? but that was like 20 years almost?

Back
Top Bottom