Why consoles Anymore?

Soldato
I actually do have issues with my pc and spend more time faffing than gaming BUT that is only because I am either doing things it was not designed to do (i overclock the hell out of it. I am finding in this hot weather if I remove my GPU overclock it runs better)

Ando also doing stuff like setting my Wii controllers up for tecknoparrot lightgun games..,.... Bit again this is not something anyone officially supports and I could not do on a console anyway.

I am also running beta vulkan drivers so that I can get more features in CEMU.

But none of these things I could do on a console anyway. If I just used my PC at stock and played games bought on steam, epic, origin or uplay etc I think my messing around would be comparable to console.

Caporegime
I actually do have issues with my pc and spend more time faffing than gaming BUT that is only because I am either doing things it was not designed to do (i overclock the hell out of it. I am finding in this hot weather if I remove my GPU overclock it runs better)

Ando also doing stuff like setting my Wii controllers up for tecknoparrot lightgun games..,.... Bit again this is not something anyone officially supports and I could not do on a console anyway.

I am also running beta vulkan drivers so that I can get more features in CEMU.

But none of these things I could do on a console anyway. If I just used my PC at stock and played games bought on steam, epic, origin or uplay etc I think my messing around would be comparable to console.
the majority of people will let windows install their drivers and update them and see no issues.

most people on this forum obviously won't be like that but we are the enthusiast minority who likes to mess with things.

the issues regular people get would be from visiting dodgy websites or installing things they shouldn't, clicking facebook hijacked account links etc

Soldato
Totally agree mate. It is both the advantage and the problem with PCs. We CAN mess around with things and do amazing stuff with them (in my case thanks to the hard work of others) but in doing so we also can make out lives much harder for ourselves and make it seem like pc gaming is more problematic than it should be.

Caporegime
I noticed since I got Afterburner and RTSS installed a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been obsessed with frames. I’ve got one eye permanently on the frame time and FPS graphs, the other on the game. It feels weird playing on PS4 without that info but it’s a lot less stressful (for want if a better word).

Caporegime
I think it was digital foundry who did a video explaining why they were fairly certain most games would aim for 4k 30 not 4k60 and of so that is a hammer blow for me from the off.
They used Spiderman on PS4 pro and reencoded a video to run at 60fps and it looked lovely.

But they suggested that would use the lions share of the PS5s grunt and that was without computationally expensive new features like ray tracing.

A new console wants to go big on shiny visuals to get a wow factor. For some frame rate with give that wow fact but for more it would be eye candy lime in that UE5 tech demo. It is unlikely The PS5 could do both 4k 60 AND massively improve detail levels AND have ray tracing. Given frame rate has the least wow factor in screenshots and YouTube videos and many console gamers don't really know what they are missing with 60fps..... DF (I think it was) said a locked.4K30 was here to stay for the majority of new games

Well their prediction didn't last very long: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-20-spider-man-miles-morales-ps5-has-optional-4k-60fps-performance-mode

Soldato
Cool. It will be interesting to see what visuals. Compromises need to be made. I am a big fan of QHD myself rather than gimping settings. Even on a 65inch screen it's a gnats whisker from 4k and is far easier on resources....
The flip side is if console games start shipping with multiple resolutions and visual settings then one of the advantages console has over PC is lost.

Soldato
I imagine you'll only really ever have the choice between quality and framerate.

Anything more is too confusing.

I quite liked how....... Was it TLOU HD ? Did not on PS4 pro. The detail levels were the same OR you could have locked 30 4k, locked 60 1080p OR a targeted 60fps with a resolution in the middle.

If it was a choice of locked 60 QHD full detail or locked 60 4k lower detail I think QHD would be the mo brainer option.

Caporegime
Consoles were more interesting back in the day when they had their own hardware. Ever since i would say the original Xbox they're nothing more than modified PC's in a smaller form factor. They do have some advantages such as price and being a fixed platform so devs can squeeze more out of the hardware. All the speculation has gone out of consoles these days, there used to be talk about what the "new graphics" would look like but these days you more or less know what to expect by looking at PC games. I remember the hype about "project reality" (N64), PS2 and Dreamcast and how they were the next level of gaming and graphics. All the promos, screen shots etc had people drooling over their magazines. I remember being wowed by Starwing on the SNES and Virtua racing on the Megadrive.

Those days are long since past and Console launches are just more run of the mill these days, you know what to expect long before you get it and nothing really "wows" anyone anymore as it's all been seen before.

V F

V F

Soldato
Cost, casual lounge gaming, friends have consoles, single PC in the house but multiple users and exclusive games I suppose are all reasonable reasons.

My PS4 has only really been used for a Blu-ray player and for streaming services. I think I’ve only played 3 or 4 games on it lol. I have a Switch though.

Consoles are an option just like pc's are. Have one, have both, have them all. It's upto you.
Unfortunately for most having your cake and eating it isn't a viable option but for others it is. Make sure you do your hardest to be in the damn lucky category.

That's me. I love some rpg/story/button smasher games with controller for console as well as exclusives. Then second of all the people I've played with on console.

While I keep the PC for shooters.

Then the PS3 is kept for Blu-Ray films.

Console I love sometimes gaming late at night in bed with Americans.

Soldato
Those days are long since past and Console launches are just more run of the mill these days, you know what to expect long before you get it and nothing really "wows" anyone anymore as it's all been seen before.
In principle I agree with you however there are exceptions. I was pretty wowed by that UE5 demo and if games are anything like that it will be good. Also players who see PS5VR for the 1st time if they have never seen VR before WILL be blown away.

Soldato
If all I did was game and Netflix I would not get a PC, consoles cost less, use less power and now the games cost about the same on key sites. the only reason I game on PC is I need a good PC for work. I might stop gaming on PC anyway and get a new Xbox as GPU's cost more than a new console and the next Xbox should be good.

Associate
Firstly, I was a PC gamer, then a console gamer, and now again a PC Gamer.

Reasons to buy a console:
  • Easy to setup, plug and play no-os issues or driver updates to worry about
  • Your actual friends [IRL] are also most likely on a console, not a PC.
  • Cost is massively in favour - the performance from the next gen of consoles for the price will far outclass the PC
  • Easier to get a console purchase past the wife.
  • Exclusives to PS at least are first on there, if you don't want to wait ages.
For the vast majority of people a console is an easy access way of playing AAA games and again the vast majority mightn't care about the performance differences as they likely haven't seen them i the flesh.

Well put, id agree with all of this. Its ease of use and cost, the same factors that have always been here.

Why cant ya have both? People talk like you are only allowed 1.

Back
Top Bottom