Road Cycling

Soldato
3d printed a Garmin Varia saddle mount, the one it comes with is rubbish! The rubber bands etc bother me as it never sits in one spot :) either way, this works well! And looks better too in my opinion.

Soldato
3d printed a Garmin Varia saddle mount,
they had an article on these on the latest version on bbc click programme, last week, I'd thought they might have now put a camera in (for taking names), but, seemingly, not yet.

Jockey wheels - after some advice for my 20yr old Sachs (new success aris) RD.

These, have assymmetric bushings, the ones on the inner arm having larger holes,
I assume, none of the shimano (who seem to predominate market) ones will have that, so I'll have to re-use those.
.. and the next question is whether the plastic wheels will have the right groove diameter to take these bushings which is about 17.3mm,
plus, will take the 10mm outside diameter bearing shaft, and, be 7.9mm wide - all too much to hope for ?.

The tacx ones or BB roller boys, are another option, but not much info on their size, and the flange on the inner plate maybe a problem.

50128887062_117c52a753_o_d.jpg

Soldato
@jpaul to be fair I prefer it without, this is the earlier model the r510 rather than the latest 515.

It is super nice to have it alert you of cars behind before you even hear them, makes cycling much more relaxing! The plates/camera is kinda pointless from my pov, I'm not there to catch bad driving I'm just happy to have an extra pair of eyes behind :D

Soldato
It is super nice to have it alert you of cars behind before you even hear them, makes cycling much more relaxing! The plates/camera is kinda pointless from my pov, I'm not there to catch bad driving I'm just happy to have an extra pair of eyes behind :D

I have a few particular motorists persistant near-pass offenders .. if I had a camera with anpr - I'd have preemptive retaliation/reaction/re-education. mechanism

Soldato
they had an article on these on the latest version on bbc click programme, last week, I'd thought they might have now put a camera in (for taking names), but, seemingly, not yet.

Jockey wheels - after some advice for my 20yr old Sachs (new success aris) RD.

These, have assymmetric bushings, the ones on the inner arm having larger holes,
I assume, none of the shimano (who seem to predominate market) ones will have that, so I'll have to re-use those.
.. and the next question is whether the plastic wheels will have the right groove diameter to take these bushings which is about 17.3mm,
plus, will take the 10mm outside diameter bearing shaft, and, be 7.9mm wide - all too much to hope for ?.

The tacx ones or BB roller boys, are another option, but not much info on their size, and the flange on the inner plate maybe a problem.

50128887062_117c52a753_o_d.jpg

Head over to retrobike.co.uk. few folks there in the road section with some pretty specific knowledge in this area.

Soldato
It stopped raining! Not sure how OMS motivates enough to keep banging out the big rides even in the wet!

A little 40k on the turbo yesterday and 75k on the road today as mixed sunny/cloudy with a moderate wind, best it’s been all week though!

Felt like a bit of a pudding for the first 45 mins, numbers fine but not the best sensations. Few hills and came back a bit, I didn’t go too deep as wont be able to recover as well as I should but I’m still feeling it.

Start to think about building back up, local TTs are going to run, but numbers limited to 30 so I probably won’t even get in!

Soldato
It stopped raining! Not sure how OMS motivates enough to keep banging out the big rides even in the wet!

Yesterday was a winter bike day and the full guards help a lot, but having said that it was too warm and muggy for a coat so just got wet. I’d also been stuck on the turbo all week so had a bit of cabin fever. :D

I can’t be arsed racing in the rain though, that’s no fun.

Soldato
Went out this morning, no jacket, no arm warmers, got soaked forfirst hour and half but never cold. I'd rather ride in this wet than be stuck indoors for 12 months solid!

I entered my first TT for August 2nd round Goodwood circuit, so no traffic either!

Soldato
Head over to retrobike.co.uk. few folks there in the road section with some pretty specific knowledge in this area.
Thanks, unfortunately I'v done multiple tours of the web

Absence of sizing for shimano/tacx/bb pulley parts is annoying - a few imprecise comments in amazon reviews, manufacturrers, lacking too.

just have to buy and return, like buying shoes/clothes on the web, the scientific approach. ... or find a willing bike shop with a set of callipers.

Soldato
Shimano are all one size, sram do some models that have two holes(one for the bolt and one locating hole).

The only ones I've come across with a bigger hole on the inside are sram 13 tooth wheels for 1x mechs. Totally wouldn't work on that.

Why not just stick a second hand old(7700,6600,5500) shimano mech on there?

Soldato
Shimano are all one size, sram do some models that have two holes(one for the bolt and one locating hole).

The only ones I've come across with a bigger hole on the inside are sram 13 tooth wheels for 1x mechs. Totally wouldn't work on that.

Why not just stick a second hand old(7700,6600,5500) shimano mech on there?

from memory, sachs new success used rebadged campag 8 speed brifters, so an 8 speed campag mech might be the way to go

Soldato
yes, I could buy a shimano mech, but if you have a nicely (over)engineered, attractive mech that, just, does what it should. ..
in search of a gratuitous picture I can see someone has managed to make shimano pulleys work.

3d design at it's best - pompidou'esque.

50133261437_97ffae652b_c_d.jpg

I don't feel the same about the half carbon campag mech on other bike.

Soldato
Running low on time last week to get decent rides in so only had <2 hours to make up for it on saturday (away all of sunday for other halfs Birthday). Nearly jumped on Zwift for some of the TDF stuff (still not ridden any!), but weather was so good chose to go outside and cross off Arthurs Stone. It's a little brute of a climb, with a long gradual section up the top with the steepest bit near the start. Some say it's 35% and the steepest tarmaced climb in the Midlands. Me I'm not so sure, most of my times up there I've not had data saying over 30% but it's so steep with tree cover head units regularly pause there and screw things up. I try and do it once a year, usually in the spring as a bit of a 'form finder' coming off from winter and some Zwifting before I trim much of my winter weight. I've not trimmed that weight yet this year, but have a bunch of power and fitness so it wasn't the 'absolute maximum effort and then hang on up to the top' it usually is. Cue a nice PR and me pacing the bottom bit well so I had some good power for the top sections, although the latter part of it into a headwind.

Definitely, looking through Gumtree and the bay, still need to get my head around the components and understanding if its a good deal or not but as you say just need to keep looking. I was in the depths of "how to build a bike" last night on youtube and it looked a really cool project so that might be something I look at also!
Oh it's amazing what you can spot sometimes. Even more brutal is the ones you miss and think 'I would have had that for that price' :o

A total build is a great project, but not really something to 'save' money doing... Not if you're buying off the shelf and such as you will end up spending quite a bit more. For me it's viable to spend on a new branded frame (and paying off the shelf price) as I have much of the other components ready to build up a bit of a mixed build of old and newer components. Others doing similar will save a bunch by buying cheap/chinese frame, or an older frame and then build up with the components they want. A few here have done it, as far as I'm aware all with great success/savings.

3d printed a Garmin Varia saddle mount, the one it comes with is rubbish! The rubber bands etc bother me as it never sits in one spot :) either way, this works well! And looks better too in my opinion.

That's very neat & cool! Looks pretty solid & robust, good work! :D

@jpaul to be fair I prefer it without, this is the earlier model the r510 rather than the latest 515.
Does the latest have ANPR? I've thought for a while about some of the newer security cameras and all the image side processing the now cameras do themselves (compared to previously, like ANPR) how we'd not seen a 'cyclist cam' with it.

Yesterday was a winter bike day and the full guards help a lot, but having said that it was too warm and muggy for a coat so just got wet.
Sportful Fiandre Light. I've got one of these and it is superb just to sling over a summer jersey. So light and thin it's very breathable, but anything more than a shower you get wet. Although spray from wet roads after heavy rain it's utterly useless. I've got a Castelli Tempesta which is pretty darn good, but have not ridden in it in really heavy rain, nor in really hot summer showers. But feela very breathable and the material seems to keep far more rain out than it should. Keeps out more than a cape as it's multi layered, even more than my premium NFTO cape (which is as good as my jackets).

... or find a willing bike shop with a set of callipers.
You should find some of your older more smaller shops more than happy for you to do this - some might even be really interested in what you're doing and want to see the RD. They're generally older guys who are real bike geeks! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
as well as looking at pulleys, was surprised to see corrosion on shimano HG71 chain (inner plates), that I just took off , and, tried to clean,
versus, the previous SRAM870, which, I will be putting back on, until the arrival of my, first ever, KMC, X8(full metal jacket)
the shimano and sram, both ~£14 were just nickled on outsides.

typically 18 months use, 2 winters, for each chain, commuting.

50133666031_f7a196679f_b_d.jpg

Soldato
Thinking of replacing the Bontrager R1 tyres my bike came with, but not really sure what to go for, anyone got any recommendations for good tyres? Currents are 25mm, but I believe I can fit wider on there so may look at 28mm

Associate
Thinking of replacing the Bontrager R1 tyres my bike came with, but not really sure what to go for, anyone got any recommendations for good tyres? Currents are 25mm, but I believe I can fit wider on there so may look at 28mm

My GP4000 are ace. Not sure if the GP5000 are as cheap/good.

Soldato
I just bought two vittoria rubino pro 3's 150tpi on wiggle offer at £15 (edit: crc price now £13!) , to put in the cupboard, when the current ones time out, mainly commuting, but I've
put a 23 on my lighter bike and seems to roll very well compared to michel pro 4 endurance, it replaced;
that dam pro 4 tyre was nearer £30, and delaminated after a couple of years, so will never buy them again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom