• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's got the oldest CPU in main pc, how does it cope?

Permabanned
Main rigs are all upgraded and current tech.

But my youngest son has a Dell laptop with a 9300 2.5ghz C2D cpu, 4gb ddr2 and a Samsung 128gb ssd.
It works really well for his school work online. I can’t believe he is still happy with it.

Soldato
Still running my 2009 i7 930.

Reason i've not upgraded: Games these days don't require a lot of CPU, so mine still copes ok.

Can still play BF5 at 1080p, the GPU takes on the majority of the workload, i do see the CPU spiking upto 70-80% regularly, so not quite throttling yet.

Interesting that, my 4790k & 980 struggles with BF5 to hold steady 60fps at 1080p ultra with it having 1% min around 60 and averages of 70ish. Assuming your GPU is as signature then I am surprised you find gaming with that acceptable. I know that card struggles to get much over 35fps for most part at 1080p medium Edit: (In BF5).

Caporegime
2500k @stockhausen

(That should be "at stock", but the forum software knows best :p)

Plays Terraria well enough :p I mostly don't play "AAA" titles (except when I do), but at 1080p/60 I imagine I'm not providing it the sternest challenge anyhow.

Must upgrade my monitor ASAP.

Soldato
Bought a Pre-Bulit OcUK Tyrannosaur back in March 2011 -

i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
16 GB DDR3 1600mhz
OEM GTX 580, then a KFA2 GTX 780 OC, now a Zotac Mini GTX 1070
128GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, now a 512GB Vertex 4
8TB HDD (new)
850w Corsair Modular PSU
Runs everything I play in 1080p @ 60fps at max settings still (GR: Wildlands, Far Cry 5 etc).

Made a thread about it a few months ago basically asking "What CPU available now is going to still be the best value for money vs performance in 10 years", just like my 2600k is still good after 10 years as, eventually either my chip, mobo or RAM will die and I'll need to upgrade at that point.

I also bought a "new-ish" Laptop 2 years ago with a 7700k (same 4C/8T), GTX 1070, M.2 SSD etc which I use when travelling and the main difference between my 9yo Win7 main PC and the 2yo Win10 Laptop is just the boot speed of Win10, everything else feels just the same, with similar 1080p gaming performance -

stock laptop 7700k vs O/C'd desktop 2600k - not much difference
stock laptop 1070 vs desktop 1070 - slight desktop advantage

I'm quite looking forward to my next upgrade as the difference (8/12/16C+, PCI 4.0, DDR4 etc) should make for a far more noticeable difference than the Desktop to Laptop was.

Associate
I'm still rocking a Xeon X5650 running at 4Ghz, with 24GB RAM and Radeon 290X, plus couple of Samsung SSDs and few TB of Western Digital spinny disks, all in a monstrous Coolermaster Cosmos case. Originally assembled in 2014 (the MB/CPU and case were all free/second-hand at that point) and still happily supporting my current requirements - mainly web browsing, productivity, video editing, bit of database development and a bit of gaming (Elite Dangerous + mainly older titles, not the latest AAAs).

I keep on thinking about upgrading to a new Ryzen setup, but to be honest I'm not sure it would make a massive difference. Gaming isn't a high priority for me nowadays, and nothing else which I use the machine for is even close to being too slow.

Amazing how such old tech is still capable!

Associate
I have a q6600 running at 3ghz with a saphire ice 7970 and recently brought the witcher 3 that runs around 45-50 fps with everything maxed apart from hairworks. I upgraded from what i have in my signature last year.

Soldato
Until a few weeks ago I was running an Athlon X2 5200+, unlocked to Phenom FX5200 (Basically a Phenom II X4) and overclocked from 2.2 GHz to 3.3. it was mostly still acceptable, performance wise. With games at 1920*1200 and settings turned up it's surprising how often my GTX 970 was still the bottleneck. But an increasing number of games use SSE 4.1 / 4.2 now and they won't launch at all. So migrated to a Ryzen 2700x now.

Soldato
Not me personally but I know several people still using overclocked Q6600s (I've donated 1-2) with like a GTX680 for gaming even some still using Fermi cards.

Upgrading the gpu to a 1050 or something will pay for itself in electricity costs in few months . I remember those cards, what was that custom cooler that people used to have with these, TR1 or something.

Man of Honour
I'm still rocking a Xeon X5650 running at 4Ghz, with 24GB RAM and Radeon 290X, plus couple of Samsung SSDs and few TB of Western Digital spinny disks, all in a monstrous Coolermaster Cosmos case. Originally assembled in 2014 (the MB/CPU and case were all free/second-hand at that point) and still happily supporting my current requirements - mainly web browsing, productivity, video editing, bit of database development and a bit of gaming (Elite Dangerous + mainly older titles, not the latest AAAs).

I keep on thinking about upgrading to a new Ryzen setup, but to be honest I'm not sure it would make a massive difference. Gaming isn't a high priority for me nowadays, and nothing else which I use the machine for is even close to being too slow.

Amazing how such old tech is still capable!
6c12t @ 4ghz is pretty powerful still, probably a bit behind on IPC but with 12 threads it should scale very well on the modern games that maybe cause problems for some older quad cpus.

Soldato
And b50 (phenom ii unlocked to 4 cores) with a 1050ti

Used to play Dota 2 and general pc use. Works absolutely fine but I have just bought a new 3900x to finally upgrade.

Associate
6c12t @ 4ghz is pretty powerful still, probably a bit behind on IPC but with 12 threads it should scale very well on the modern games that maybe cause problems for some older quad cpus.

True enough, and I know that it was a $1000+ enterprise class processor when it was released.

... but that is a whole decade ago :cool:

Back
Top Bottom