**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
Blimey, used to be the benefit of Chinese phones was that they were cheap, not sure I'd want to put up with Xiaomis ad infested OS at that price, you cut is some slack when you got a flagship performance for mid range money but at 700quid...ooof

Not seen an ad since I started using it so not sure where 'ad infested' comes from?

Soldato
I hadn't but thanks for making this even more difficult! The main difference I can see the Poco doesn't have is 90hz refresh rate and no stereo speakers?

Just seen CPW are offering B&B H9's with the purchase of the Oppo Find X2 which is interesting...

thought id mention it since its a hot phone right now. packing in flagship specs for half the price. the 90hz screen is a shame indeed. have you had a 90hz screen before?

i havent so my view on that is im not going to miss something ive not had.

Associate
Not seen an ad since I started using it so not sure where 'ad infested' comes from?

On my Mi9 you get ad on installs, ads in the browser etc, some can be a bit in appropriate for my 12yr old daughter, ads in Xiaomi products is a thing, they justify it because products are cheap, that is why links like earlier in the thread exist to aid you to disable them, though I could not find all settings on MUII 12 I have tried most this morning, hopefully it reduces the garbage.

You can't remove the Xiaomi Apps though without custom firmware I guess.

I would hope they do not exist on a £700 phone.

Soldato
On my Mi9 you get ad on installs, ads in the browser etc, some can be a bit in appropriate for my 12yr old daughter, ads in Xiaomi products is a thing, they justify it because products are cheap, that is why links like earlier in the thread exist to aid you to disable them, though I could not find all settings on MUII 12 I have tried most this morning, hopefully it reduces the garbage.

You can't remove the Xiaomi Apps though without custom firmware I guess.

I would hope they do not exist on a £700 phone.

Samsung has more bloat then anyone.

I flashed the https://xiaomi.eu/ Miui 12 on my Mi 10 Pro.
It's the best phone I have ever used.

You can remove the crap on a china rom using adb. Dead easy.

Associate
Samsung has more bloat then anyone.

I flashed the https://xiaomi.eu/ Miui 12 on my Mi 10 Pro.
It's the best phone I have ever used.

You can remove the crap on a china rom using adb. Dead easy.

I have a Note 10+ 5G and an Mi 9 on MIUI 12, whilst there are Samsung Apps there is not a lot of bloat at all performance is slick, they don't push Ads or get intrusive unlike the Mi but as said I expect it for what I was getting for the price.

I won't lie though it does grate a little that the Mi 9 is faster in benchmarks than mine for less than half the price (660 vs 240) and has a better optical finger print sensor but actually the Samsung has nicer feel to use, has polish the other lacks, probably some of it comes from the 12Gb vs 6Gb difference perhaps.

I'll look into what can be done via adb but for now I have told my daughter to use chrome as the browser seems to be the worst culprit although I have toggled those switches this morning so they can't push recommendations, hopefully that will stop random apps showing up on laucher to download.

maj

maj

Soldato
You can remove the Xiaomi apps using adb fast tools. Don't even need to unlock boot loader or be root. Since removing them I've noticed less ads in the ROM on my Note 8 Pro.

No sign of MIUI 12 for Note 8 Pro yet. Probably needs more work with it being Mediatek chipset.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there a guide to using and removing these ads with adb?

Noticed that xiaomi.eu has miui 12 for Poco F1, my Poco (missus) hasn't seen an OTA update to that, she runs 11 and if feels a bit slow, wondering about flashing that on to her device to perk it up a bit maybe.

maj

maj

Soldato
You'll also need to enable USB debugging in Advanced Settings.

I've noticed that my Note 8 Pro is running MIUI 11 Global but EEA rom rather than global. Anyone else on EEA rather than global?

maj

maj

Soldato
I ordered my Note 8 Pro from Xiaomi directly. Due to COVID it took awhile to ship (they might be better now that things have relaxed a bit) but they do ship from France. No customs or anything to worry about though.

Associate
Currently 500 from xiaomi UK, 350 from aliexpress, seems fair to me for the spec.

That is more reasonable, I've got a load of Mi points to use also which would bring the price down, but thinking about upgrading the missus Poco with a Realme X50 Pro for the screen, camera ability and wireless charging, not heard from many actual owners yet though, reviews seem decent. Assuming I don't plump for the next Note/Fold then the missus can have my old one.

Associate
Just received my Xiaomi MI Note 10 from Hong Kong . £300 delivered(9 days). Took 10 mins to swap over my sim and set up. For the money is looking like a bargain. Lets hope it lasts as that is my only concern as i would imagine a warrenty claim would be almost impossable.

Back
Top Bottom