airbrush (hobby) advice

Soldato
Hi.

Looking at getting a airbrush and compressor for those airfix, tamiya type models. I have a large garage compressor. But probably a bit on the large scale and noisy for modelling use.

Anyone recommend a suitable one to start with. I have heard of iwata, badger etc. But maybe a bit expensive to start with. There is lots on amazon and ebay. But not sure if any good.

Not too expensive to start with.

Thanks

Soldato
I'd say use the garage compressor to start with unless you get a very good deal on one bundled with an airbrush.

Yes it will be noisy but with the larger tank it wont have to come on very often and it will let you see how you get on with airbrushing.

Soldato
LS-186S timber tech for a compressor 90ish quid it's not too bad.
And GaGa MILANO airbrush both from the forest shop.

Okay for myself and what I do miniature wise so can't comment on the top of the range brands of brushes etc.

Commissario
Personally for airbrushes I like Harder & Steinbeck*, they're somewhere between the cheap ebay/amazon Badger knock offs, and Iwata's (which are very expensive) in terms of price, but very close to the Iwata in terms of build quality (some of the cheap/no name brushes are terrible build quality).

Ideally before buying an airbrush you'd try out a few first because they are like pens/mice in that you need to find one you're happy with, you also need to remember to watch out for availability of spare parts as there is little point saving £30 on an airbrush by buying the cheapest one out there, if every time you need a new needle or o-ring you end up having to buy a new one because you can't get the spares.

The garage compressor will drive you nuts if you try and use it with an airbrush, unless it's an unusually quiet model, as the airbrush/tattoo/body spray style compressors are usually around 40-55db intended for long use inside, whilst garage compressors are 85db+ (I can use our airbrush compressor in the house and barely hear it upstairs, I can hear our big compressor from inside the house when it's running in the garage).

*They start at around £60 for an "ultra" with one needle/nozzle included but you can swap them out (at about £20 for a set), whilst the Iwata's start at around £150 and only work with one needle/nozzle set.

Soldato
I sold my set as it didn't get much use but I had something very similar to the LS-186S timbertech for a compressor (think it just keeps getting rebranded) mentioned above with an Iwata Neo airbrush, the Neo is a starter brush from Iwata but it was a big step up from the starter brushes supplied with the compressor.

now I have a tiny compressor that came with an airbrush for £30 and it does the job but that job is purely for priming, base colour and varnish, I wouldn't trust it for any kind of detail work.

Associate
when I airbrushed models I certainly got by with a cheap chinese compressor off ebay (like £30) then upgraded to an Iwata brush.

did the job for me certainly. I went for a neo as the others have posted. Depends what you're looking to do really, I only tended to use it for base coats.

Soldato
Hi.

Looking at getting a airbrush and compressor for those airfix, tamiya type models. I have a large garage compressor. But probably a bit on the large scale and noisy for modelling use.

Anyone recommend a suitable one to start with. I have heard of iwata, badger etc. But maybe a bit expensive to start with. There is lots on amazon and ebay. But not sure if any good.

Not too expensive to start with.

Thanks

Hi @Magic_x_uk,

What is you budget for this?

Like many, I started with Harder and Steenbeck but 90% of the time use a Badger 105 patriot extreme.

If you have not airbrushed before, I recommend not going for any of the cheaper Chinese knock-offs from the likes of eBay. I made that mistake.

For a compressor, i use a sparmax one with a tank and water trap.

I also use a clear hose (so you can see and water droplets, despite having a water trap).

I recently got a in-line sparmax water trap that fits on the air inlet of my badger.

Today is 26 degrees and 70% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom