BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
When new deals come up are BT pretty good at letting you re-contract at new customer rates early? I'm sure you made a thread @HungryHippos to ask this very question.

I've found them to ok with it, at one point my wife's business wasn't doing so well, we downgraded to save money at the time and they were great. Then they were more than happy to upgrade us to the Infinity 4 and again this time happy to upgrade at the discounted rate with no issues.

Not like BT of old, I can remember calling up 5 years ago when we first moved in and was told tough, the price is what it is, seems they have changed their ways. Which is great for me as with FTTP they are my only provider in the area.

Soldato
Rebooted the SH2 and I've got near the full upload -

3267244781582318-INWoqzFN.png

Rebooted or factory reset? Did you need to contact the BT forum mods?

Caporegime
My engineer visit is scheduled for 27th.

My wife if panicking about how long it'll take for the BT Engineer to install everything, as she's only just now mentioned it to work and her manager has 5 people already off that day.

I know each house is different, but how long did it take for most people?

She wants me to put it off, but that could be weeks.

Edit - and how come people got it for £54.99 a month?

Caporegime
Thanks @SixTwoSix

The outside work is my concern.

I'm 99% certain that although they have sorted it on the main road nearby, they've not done any work here.

We are in a cul-de-sac with 2 telephone poles, one of which is very much up in a tree (see photos below)

20200722_145723.jpg

20200722_150358.jpg

Caporegime
Yeah I'm going to try that, but i'm not sure the system she uses allows that.

Did a reply get deleted here about the poles having something new installed?

So pole 1 that connects to the road doesn't appear to have anything:

20200722_153628.jpg

But pole 2 (which connects only to pole 1 and the houses) does have something:

20200722_153519.jpg

I was supposed to have fibre installed tomorrow, Ive been in a debate with Bt a few times.
Openreach keep saying they need to do external works before they can schedule the install, I say its done, its just the install needed.

So the story was, ordered fibre middle June, a couple of days later openreach turned up to pull fibre cable. Couldnt get it through and trying to use the existing phone cable to pull the fibre they snapped it. The fixed this as a temp fix and legged it saying it needed major civils.

A couple of days later another openreach guy came who looked and asked if I was sure they were openreach as they made a right mess, I confirmed they were. He dug out properly and found the builders by the looks of it had punctured the duct and it had filled with material. He disconnected the phone line, sorted the duct, pulled the "blue rope" through and left. Really nice guy and seemed really competent.

A few days later again another guy appears says were these open reach guys to make this mess, I said yep. He pulled the fibre and a new phone line, connected both up in a new box outside, "customer service point"
He said your good to go just need the cable run round to where your inside box will be when your switch date comes.

BT keep saying openreach say they need to do civils, I keep saying no but they wont have it. I have another visit scheduled but thats 3 weeks off. Then an install date a week later. I guess I just have to wait, but my expectation from what guy 3 said is there is nothing to do so hopefully at that point they say ok done.

When it comes to install day I assume they bring a new fibre cablke back out of the box to the end location for the modem. Guy 1 (although I am dubious to trust him now) said that can be anywhere within reason. I assume the modem needs power so hopefully they will be fine with my first floor office.

Ahs anyone had a similar location installed? My master socket is in the middle of the house in a silly location so I pray they dont want to try to pull a cable there!

Soldato
When it comes to install day I assume they bring a new fibre cablke back out of the box to the end location for the modem. Guy 1 (although I am dubious to trust him now) said that can be anywhere within reason. I assume the modem needs power so hopefully they will be fine with my first floor office.

Ahs anyone had a similar location installed? My master socket is in the middle of the house in a silly location so I pray they dont want to try to pull a cable there!

Openreach will install the fibre/ONT wherever you want it.

It's entirely separate to your old copper line and master socket.

Back
Top Bottom