The salary question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't discuss it, and neither do most of my friends.

Though there's been the odd occasion where one or two have mentioned massive pay rises, usually when drunk.

Same, including the second sentence.

My family already think I'm earning a lot when I'm not really and have asked for money from me before. I don't want to encourage that.

Soldato
With friends we talk about it, as we compare/help each other get jobs.

At work there was an accident by an admin which allowed several gossips to see everyone's full grade (and therefore pay) and it caused no end of issues.

Some people just feel entitled to the same/more than others despite not doing the same job and having different skills!
So no, not at work.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Close friends have asked and I've told, in private. No one else really. My Dad knew what I started on as he was helping me when I first set up my company etc.

My wife found out how much I earn when we were dating, but it wasn't until we were living together and I'd work from home occasionally did she realise just how little I actually did in comparison with her industry and that really annoyed her for some reason hahaha :D

Soldato
All open here between me and my mates also - big mix of levels with us all also. Its never used in a negative way.

Not discussed at work, but there is advertised salaries for majority of grades. So you know the lowest, the mid and highest.

Pet Northerner
Don
That's one of the reasons I think it's good to do with mates. Can stop some being left out or feel like others are taking the Mick.
Yeah I know what you mean. I don't mind that I earn less (I'm a very happy 2nd line Tech support) than my best mate (Head of department solicitor) and brother (lead dev) but sometimes they want us three to do things last minute (games con last year) where it's easy for them to simply dump £300 on train fares / hotel / event / spending. I need a couple of months notice to save the extra I'd need.

Soldato
I know roughly what almost all my friends make per year, and they know how I'm fixed. When I was working though, I never discussed pay with colleagues. I would have, had it come up, but it never did.

Associate
Presumably they don't do the same as you?

My salary was exposed at work a few years back and I'd heard a few people complaining that I shouldn't be on that much at my age, despite me being one of the most qualified people in the entire company.

It's harsh, but I did feel like saying crack on and get some qualifications then.
Pretty narrow-minded I'm afraid.
I have a degree and well qualified, but never boast about it.
I recall in my previous employment in 1993 there was a female employee who had very little qualifications, but eventually became a director in the company.

Associate
Not bothered really. I'm only a mid range tech at a college so wouldn't take a brain surgeon to have a fair crack at guessing the ball park figure of what I earn.
I guess when it comes to high flying folk with packages car/huge bonus etc etc then it may be a bit different.

Caporegime
Having worked in the public and private sectors I have never understood why there is this big hush around salaries, everyone in the public sector knows everyone else's salary and there is just no issue with that.

With friends I would just find it bizarre that people would refuse to discuss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom