The salary question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Reminds me of this article:

Presenter Samira Ahmed has won the employment tribunal she brought against the BBC in a dispute over equal pay. Ahmed claimed she was underpaid by £700,000 for hosting audience feedback show Newswatch compared with Jeremy Vine's salary for Points of View.

What a massive difference in pay.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't talk about it with colleagues, but my close circle of friends absolutely. We're racing to 50k so as soon as someone gets a new job or pay bump we all know about it.

Soldato
I don't go out of my way to mention it but if anyone asks me, I'm happy to tell them.

It helps now that I'm a civil servant so my wage can be found by anyone with rudimentary Google skills in seconds.

Soldato
I don't discuss it and i would never dream of asking - personal business. Although as i am public sector, i once had a family member mention they knew roughly my salary - no idea why they felt they need to research that, i am not that interesting!

My Uncle is/was an oil rig designer - he and his team were earning serious wedge - helicoptered to work etc. So at a family event with all his mates, my salary pales into comparison, so i would be embarrassed to discuss. On the flip side, i went to a nieces a wedding where i saw a few of their young mates balking at the prices of beer - so i bought a few rounds for them. To them i am now known as the honey dude or Big Mac Daddy :D

Swings and Roundabouts :)

Associate
Apart from the standard "Its none of your business", what life event happened that made some of you all so closed? Are you just regurgitating your parents mentality? Was it a bad life experience as a result of revealing salary?

Nothing wrong with a bit of transparency between friends. Motivates you to aim higher and push each other to do well. Even between colleagues, got no issue, its no skin off my nose.

My parents are Indian. Generally within the community, people ask whatever they want. Maybe its just a British thing.

Soldato
Seen a few posts recently over the last few days about members posting salaries, take home, annual incomes, investments etc. A friend started a new job last week and during a load of us catching up on the weekend via Zoom, the first question he got asked by a friend was “so, how much are you making, then!”.

The question, changed the tone of the call among the group. I have friends who are very open and honest about it while others hold it as a guarded secret and go into shut down mode.

Talking about salary-related finances is awkward. I always consider this almost taboo and tend to avoid the question other than saying the market average.

How open are you with friends and I guess family members about your take-home salary? Do you know how much your siblings earn etc?

It shouldn't be awkward it's some weird British thing. I don't see what the problem it or what people are so scared of. If friends or people I meet in person asks me I will tell them, though it's not always so straightforward being self employed.

In countries like Norway everyone's tax returns and thus income is public knowledge. Of course they also weren't allowed to have or draw their curtains once upon a time :p

Caporegime
Depends on the situation - close family members - parents, siblings etc.. sure I'd tell them.

Some friends I'd be completely open with though mostly because they work in the same industry etc... likewise friends who work in similar industries... can also chat about general comp etc... whatsapp groups can be quite interesting in this context - one friend (dunno how he got hold of it) had a copy of an internal HR spreadsheet detailing pay ranges for job titles and areas for a large US bank. Similar thing happened at a firm I worked at, open plan office, a senior manager left printout containing named individuals and their salaries + bonus on his desk!

Friends who work in the same company - gotta be a bit more careful with that, if you're talking about acquaintances/work mates you sometimes go for a drink with then... probs not. People you'd likely stay friends with after you've left the company, sure if you can trust them and vice versa then good idea to share salary info bth yours, theirs and any other info/datapoints you've obtained re: others in the company.

Always good to have a bit of mutual support even if you're at completely different companies... can be a small world - I had calls about people leaving say a firm I was working at because a mate had been asked about them at his firm where they were interviewing etc.. Earlier on in career too one mate went for a job interview, sat a test etc.. and had prepared badly... thought screw this, took his phone out and photographed all the test questions, another mate of ours was interviewing for same role - guy who'd blown it figured might as well give other mate the heads up... other mate went into the interview, obviously smashed the test and the interviewer was super excited... "that's the highest score we've ever had", he got the job & offer was top of the available range!

Other friends I know via hobbies/interests unconnected with work etc.. nope, wouldn't chat about it with them nor have any reason to - not really sure how it would ever be relevant to them.

Last edited:
Associate
I only tell my wife what I make, and I'm sure she then immediately forgets.

Earlier in my career, my friends and I used to be pretty open about what we made. It seems like as we've progressed, over time we've got to the point where we leave the subject alone. If any of them really wanted to know, I'd probably tell them. I don't tend to discuss with colleagues as most of my peers are around 10 years my senior.

In general, it would probably lead to fairer wages if we were all more open about who earns what. My company doesn't even communicate ranges for a particular role except to the managers of employees in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom