Has EV stopped you from buying a new car

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I've no idea if they are rectifying it, i doubt it....

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections...2-socket-3pole-isolator?variant=9694505369647

etc. Perhaps they are useless, or perhaps standards need to evolve before these are useful? I really dont know, but they do seem to be readily available.

What does a solar array have to do with a supply upgrade? That is an entirely different subject and has nothing to do with fast charging :)

Man of Honour
I kind of see your point but in reality your car doesn't just loose charge or need charging every day like modern phones. I do 300 miles a week ona evare and charge it once/maybe twice a week for a few hours here and there. People have this notion that you need to charge every single day/night - you don't.

Charge when needed, leave it otherwise. M3 loose about 1-2% battery every day when just sitting on the drive.

I'm still not sure I really understand what the benefits are for most people. I just drove from London to Devon and used 4 gallons of fuel at what, 20 quid? And my car had been sat a week and didn't need charging, I just got in and drove home.

Ev would add all sorts of logistics to that. For what?

Perhaps a plugin hybrid would be nice for town silence and proper engine range, I dunno.

Soldato
I've no idea if they are rectifying it, i doubt it....

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections...2-socket-3pole-isolator?variant=9694505369647

etc. Perhaps they are useless, or perhaps standards need to evolve before these are useful? I really dont know, but they do seem to be readily available.

What does a solar array have to do with a supply upgrade? That is an entirely different subject and has nothing to do with fast charging :)

Yeah that wall pod is AC so most cars can only take 11kW. Even 22kW isn’t really rapid/fast charge. I’m getting muddled in this thread as it seems people actually think fast charging is possible from your house. The equivalent of putting on 20 kettles at once. It’s not standards limiting it, It’s physics.

Point on solar was similar cost yet one has a tangiable benefit when you own an EV. Particularly if/when V2G get implemented.

Caporegime
Pretty sure a majority of houses don't have a front drive (terraces for example), what's everyone going to be doing, dragging fat cables across busy pavements?

People tripping up sueing you?

Or if someone else is parked in front of your house so you can't charge your car?

Or some pesky begger unclipped your charger while you're asleep so you wake up with a flat battery thats going to take hours to charge?

Not practical given the UKs infrastructure.

Soldato
Pretty sure a majority of houses don't have a front drive (terraces for example), what's everyone going to be doing, dragging fat cables across busy pavements?

People tripping up sueing you?

Or if someone else is parked in front of your house so you can't charge your car?

Or some pesky begger unclipped your charger while you're asleep so you wake up with a flat battery thats going to take hours to charge?

Not practical given the UKs infrastructure.

Definitely reasons people don't want to switch currently. Next step change in battery tech i.e. solid state should hopefully allow much faster charging, longer ranges and very little degradation as result of constant rapid charging. That may be 5 years away but it will be much easier to do a weekly charge for a lot of people.

Free charging at Tesco for example is there and guarantees me a parking spot near the store. However the hassle of plugging in a cable for a 30 min charge that only gains a few miles isn't enough for me bother currently. Maybe in winter I'll plug and keep the car warm while I shop :)

Caporegime
Definitely reasons people don't want to switch currently. Next step change in battery tech i.e. solid state should hopefully allow much faster charging, longer ranges and very little degradation as result of constant rapid charging. That may be 5 years away but it will be much easier to do a weekly charge for a lot of people.

Free charging at Tesco for example is there and guarantees me a parking spot near the store. However the hassle of plugging in a cable for a 30 min charge that only gains a few miles isn't enough for me bother currently. Maybe in winter I'll plug and keep the car warm while I shop :)

Sounds fine to charge at tesco until everyman and his dog has one and you're queuing to park and charge.

The whole concept if these EVs only works while pess than 10% of the population has one. Once its at a much higher % and people are fighting for/hogging charging points and the government realises they just lost a whole lot if money on ved and petrol tax they will come for EVs.

And your work won't be able to offer free charging indefinitely.

Soldato
Kind of.

I HAVE to get a ULEZ compliant car soon because of the zone expansion coming in 2021 - I drive up from the SE via the A20, A2 and work just off of the Blackwall tunnel north exit so it’s a non-negotiable.

Not quite sure what to get given anything requiring plugging-in is currently not do-able, so I'm looking at either an HEV or a efficient petrol vehicle to replace my 2011 1.8 Civic. Don't think I'll be able to buy anything for similar money that really fits the bill, so I may have to settle for financing/leasing a newer car like the Corolla or Ioniq hybrids and then hopefully the car after that will be an EV.

Soldato
I was planning to replace my car with another brand new one just before the 5 year warranty ran out.
Why not just extend the warranty?

But with all the huge changes happening at the moment due to EV vehicles being pushed on us i think it be crazy to throw around 30k at buying a new car
Rent/lease one, or see above.

Not till they got some kind of EV charging infrastructure in place and smaller EV can do a lot more miles
Stick with what you've got then.

I like that new Honda E
So you like a Shoebox sized car
Am hoping they will increase the mileage a small EV like this can do to around 400 to 500miles
Due to living on this tiny island 24/7 it great to get away for a long drive or ride down to south of france etc
Which you'd then drive to the south of France
Yes it be great if i could own 2 cars, A Small EV for island life & a bigger diesel/petrol mile muncher for taking away but i don't have that luxury
But you can't have two cars, so you weren't really interested in the Honda E were you, honestly?

i think it be crazy to throw around 30k at buying a new car
Going back to the first quote you are looking to spend £30k on a new car, the size of a Honda E? Or jsut saying people who spend 30k are mental?

Since the quote below means you'd want to voluntarily spend ~13 hours in a car that size?

400 miles is not enough to get to south of france from St Malo (You can do over double that in one day ;))
And a lot the smaller EV can't even do half that mileage

You'd be mental to buy an EV, never buy one.. ever... you'd be on here complaining day, after day, after day.

Soldato
Kind of.

I HAVE to get a ULEZ compliant car soon because of the zone expansion coming in 2021 - I drive up from the SE via the A20, A2 and work just off of the Blackwall tunnel north exit so it’s a non-negotiable.

Not quite sure what to get given anything requiring plugging-in is currently not do-able, so I'm looking at either an HEV or a efficient petrol vehicle to replace my 2011 1.8 Civic. Don't think I'll be able to buy anything for similar money that really fits the bill, so I may have to settle for financing/leasing a newer car like the Corolla or Ioniq hybrids and then hopefully the car after that will be an EV.

Most petrol cars from about 2001 onwards are ULEZ compliant.

Soldato
Exactly my thoughts, previously i did 25-30k/year, i have been using a (V6) diesel to do this with, and was probably going to buy one more V6 diesel but really tempted by the larger capacity EVs (used).

Now...i am looking at V8 petrol SUVs :p

Same, The S6 gets used at the weekend, and now actually for quick journeys to the shops, etc, but the Ibiza was going to get swapped for a Mini Electric. Now I'm thinking of ditching the S6 for the new facelift E63s and keeping the Ibiza just for prosperity. The Discovery will be most likely swapped for a newer one next year.

Associate
A domestic 3ph will be 100A/phase/70KVA.

100A per phase 69kVA . 70kVA is 200A fused, CT metered and with higher standing charges and an agreed capacity connection agreement ;)

Pedantic, but in case anyone applies for an electricity connection, 69kVA is a good chunk cheaper than 70kVA ;)

You are absolutely correct about 3ph being available to any property though, so long as the local network infrastructure can support it, and the customer is willing to pay for it. As said above it often isn't cheap, especially if you live somewhere rural.

The infrastructure for EV charging is coming along, and we will no doubt see bigger improvements over the coming years, but for me personally the most i would do would be EHV, which is what my next company car is looking to be.... :( Im more of a 3L+ kinda guy but needs must!

Soldato
Most petrol cars from about 2001 onwards are ULEZ compliant.

I realised that after looking, doh! I was expecting it to be far more severe than the regular LEZ, but it isn’t really (2006 onwards is fine pretty much for petrol cars).

I’d still like something newer though as I’ve had it a few years now and wouldn’t mind something a bit cheaper to run and with a bit more gusto... weighing up between something like a leased Corolla hybrid or paying a bit more than I did for the Civic for something like a few years-old decent spec Focus or Golf, as I’m not having much luck seeing anything Japanese that isn’t far more expensive other than the 2012-2017 Civic (which doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade), other than the little city cars.

Soldato
I am no expert but the Polestar 2 really interests me. A decent competitor to the Model 3. It looks a lot nicer to me and although the range doesn't quite match the Model 3 it seems a lot more desirable. Although it doesn't have the Autodrive feature that Tesla's do, for the moment I think that's fine. Plus close relations to Volvo make me think it will be well built and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom