GT3, GT3RS, 600LT or Lambo Performante?

Associate
Amazingly 2 Performantes including a Spyder have popped up round me in the last few months.

One in green and one in blue.

Saw the green one pootling into the shopping estate at the weekend and it sounded amazing and looked really fast, going at about 20mph. It is honestly where i'd put my hypothetical money!

Don
congrats on being in a fantastic position to enjoy a fine selection of weapons :cool:

Is a 675LT an option? I have to admit to having driven none of the cars you listed, but I had the 675 for a few days and it was a lot of fun.

That or a nissan primera with a battery in the boot

Soldato
Those are some pretty hardcore cars for road use. For me, it would depend on the road to track ratio and type of road trips.

Soldato
If you're over 6 foot the Performante might not fit :D

Shame McLarens are so unreliable and the service is bad. They drive great when they're working.

Soldato
I feel right now would be a good time to buy the bottom of the mclaren market, 570s/12c but not higher than that. They know they have to improve and it looks like they’ve started, adding Bell & Colvill etc.

Worth trying a Hurucan Evo aswell I reckon, also bare in mind the Performante successor is due any minute now which may impact residuals.

daz

daz

Soldato
Have just got back from a road trip to France and Belgium in my Performante Spyder. It's such a special car and gets attention (in a good way) everywhere you go. The engine and exhaust note just brings a smile to people's faces. I have a Spyder so luggage space is tight (no area behind the seats) but a friend and I were easily able to get a couple of soft bags in the boot. In Strada the car is relatively soft riding capable of covering vast distances in decent comfort but switch to Sport or Corsa and it becomes an animal. :D

I have the comfort seats and feel they do a good job, the buckets weren't for me but I understand different people find them OK and they can give a little bit more headroom if you're tall. The biggest downside of Performantes is the noise though - they will be too loud for most trackdays so just watch out for that.

The car as a whole is superior to my 650S which I owned for 18 months - not that it was a bad car, it had a couple of minor things go wrong with it and the sound was a bit subdued, but the Performante is just better. The steering feel on the McLaren was better and visibility around the car was excellent but it was quite long geared so you could never really rev it out. Definitely could be a good road trip car and I'd actually consider a cheap 570S at some point if I was looking to 'trade down' my Perf and get some cash out. The 600LT has never appealed to me and I personally would rather have a 720S, but different strokes for different folks and all that.

I can't really comment on the Porsches having never driven them, but they are track day weapons and once people go Porsche a lot never go back.

OcUK Staff
I’ll also mention that a regular GT3 991.1 and 991.2 are superb as a daily also.

Yes they are essentially race cars with number plates but most people just assume rock hard but you will be amazed at how well they ride, not quite McLaren 570S good but very close and better ride quality than many road cars.

GT3 is a superb all rounder and the 570S is a great shout if you shop around you can get one now for around 70K and though they will get cheaper the big chunk of their value has come off.

daz

daz

Soldato
If you think back not so long ago 360s were down at 40K and I don't think it would be unfair to look at some McLaren models and assume they will get down to something similar, allowing for inflation that would mean 10 year old McLarens going for ~50-55k.

Soldato
Reading on Pistonheads McLaren are getting better at build quality and customer relationships compared to how they were before and there are some terrible stories about all manufacturers out there too.

Yup, who can forget the IMS bearing issues that "plagued" 911 owners.

There are certainly stories out there about McLaren, but you must remember that those who get unlucky will be very vocal (especially on YouTube for the ad revenue)

Those that have no problems will instead be out enjoying the drive!

For me I'd go for the 600LT, it's more rare than a 911 and won't annoy at 6am like a Lambo. It reviews very well too.

But as Gibbo says, go drive them all first and buy whichever car gives you the biggest grin!

Associate
Either the GT3 or the GT3 RS depending on how much track work you are doing. Essential options are usually seen as front lift, buckets, sport chrono and PCCB (these are ridiculous cost to replace though if doing serious amounts of track stuff, fine for the odd track day). The engine in the 991.2 is a masterpiece and there is a reason you see 10x more of these at the ring every day compared to any other super(sports)car.

daz

daz

Soldato
Not guilty sir!!

I'm working on a deal with a car. I shall keep you guys updated if it goes ahead. Hint: it's from Stuttgart.

Nice one - they are all superb cars at this level, there are no bad cars any more. It's just a question of which flavour you prefer, and there's no right or wrong answer.

Could you not get the mclaren then keep a warranty running on it?

The warranty is not really the issue (for me personally) - being covered is fine and straightforward, but being without a car that you've paid lots of money for is the frustrating thing. One example, I drove to a track day in my 650S, literally pulling in to Donington I had a gearbox warning light come on - "go to McLaren service centre immediately" it tells me. I spent most of the morning trying to reset things with no luck, and then eventually McLaren assist sent out someone to take a look at the car and trailer it to McLaren. Turns out the wiring in the steering wheel had chafed on something and had been chewed up inside. Fully covered under warranty, but it was a waste of a day I had planned to be driving around on a track. My track day insurance I had also paid for also went to waste. Absolutely superb car, ridiculously fast especially in the mid-range when it came on boost but there were just a few moments during my ownership that soured things.

I saw a black Performante going up the M90 past Dunfermline yesterday. Wasn't you was it? :D

Not me, mine is white with Alitalia livery. :o :D

OcUK Staff
Could you not get the mclaren then keep a warranty running on it?

600LT are pretty new so they should in theory have 2-3yr warranty remaining depending on how long manufacturer warranty is. I know Lamborghini tend to be 4yr warranty with option of 5yr at purchase which is good if considering a Performante. But as of yet I believe they still have no extendable warranty options and a third party warranty is around £4000 per year and probably would be useless, but saying that the modern Lamborghini is very reliable.

Porsche are easy, any used car purchased from OPC comes with a 2yr warranty and it is fantastic pretty much covers car bumper to bumper and you can extend it no issues, think its around £1500-£2000 per year.
Ferrari again also easy all used cars from Ferrari have a 2yr Power Warranty, it is not as comprehensive as Porsches as some stuff is not covered but the general big ticket items are covered.

Porsche in theory should have best used warranty and lowest running cost potentially unless buying a newer Ferrari as they all come with 7yr servicing which means servicing is free and it is true no con my 458 has not cost me a penny in ownership, just fuel, insurance and a set of tyres as I dislike the Pzero is came fitted with.

Back
Top Bottom