Recommendations for Gas Barbecue

Soldato
I'm stuck trying to decide what to do in terms of a new barbecue, and most friends I speak to are saying I need to stop clinging to the notion a barbecue has to burn charcoal, and make the switch to gas.

Two in particular are singing the praises of theirs...

The Weber Genesis II E-310 GBS...

9NRio7C.jpg

And the Heston Blumenthal Everdure Force 2-Burner Gas BBQ

k3NRydv.jpg

These look like about £850 and £700.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can anyone recommend anything a little less £££ - or tell me why, actually, this represents very sensible expenditure.

(I was looking at the Ikea gas barbecue and hoping I could get away with forking out £215...)

4sn0eat.jpg

Soldato
You're right, your friends are wrong. A BBQ has to be charcoal.

If you just want to cook outdoors, then gas is fine :D

Apparently. out of peak season these gas ones are about half the price. There was a thread in the Home & Garden forum recently where a few people said as much.

Soldato
OP
Lol. This is very much how I feel.

@cheesyboy @Rotty @randomshenans @Haze - have any of you owned a gas barbecue for any length of time?

There *has* to be some reason that once people switch they seem to stay converted.

Another (squalid, low calibre, gas-loving) friend said that what converted him was a Weber barbecuing course he went on, during which the Weber rep wasn't selling gas or charcoal but did a test and the attendees couldn't tell between a steak cooked on charcoal and one cooked on gas.

Associate
Charcoal rules!!!!! Man make fire.

I have a gas bbq though ☹️

Waiting for it to die so I can get back to real fire!

You can get gas/charcoal bbqs, best of both worlds.

Soldato
OP
Charcoal rules!!!!! Man make fire.

I have a gas bbq though ☹️

Waiting for it to die so I can get back to real fire!

You can get gas/charcoal bbqs, best of both worlds.
I was actually thinking about getting matching "His-&-Her" charcoal and gas barbecues...

What made you go with gas? Would you recommend what you have? What charcoal barbecue are you going to get next?

Soldato
@garnett I haven't had my own, but use my parents in both places whenever I'm there. I am always dedicated grill man. I don't think gas is bad, I just prefer coal. Most people say gas is more convenient but since you can get a coal bbq up to temp in 15 mins with a starter, it really becomes more even on that side. I think it's whatever you want to be honest and what suits you and your cooking. I have a traditional old smoker, and now a ceramic grill and would even get a pellet smoker... but couldn't get myself a gas grill as I don't see it fitting and wouldn't use it.

Man of Honour
Jesus wept. The gas vs charcoal always gets the same blather. There is a place for both. I have weber genesis and weber kettle(s) right next to each other as they both do things well.

You want at least 3 burners to allow you to just use the outside and cook indirect. The genesis you have there is fine but appreciate you want to spend less.

The Heston one is a fancy pants brand and gimmicky design but not as versatile and anyone who buys one is an instant ****.

Look for 3 burner when you search. That spirit linked above would be a great shout for a bit less money than genesis. Also see if there is any old stock knocking around. Weber build quality has taken a hit the past couple of years (although still great).

Also

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/gas/weber-spirit-2-e320-gbs-gas-bbq.asp

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/gas/weber-spirit-original-e320.asp

may be broil king or something

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/browse/3-burner-gas-bbq.asp

Soldato
Keep your eyes out for second hand ones locally, it's amazing the number that come up from people who spend a lot on them then realise they haven't used it all year! (mind you, I'm a proper cheapskate and got a cheap second hand one then made some modifications to it :D)

Soldato
I got a Charbroil X200 got it for about £150.

Its just to grill stuff, steak, boneless chicken pieces, burgers that kind of thing. I use my Weber charcoal for indirect/slow cooking.

The two compliment each other well.

The gas Vs charcoal BBQ ideally you want one of each, gas BBQ is very good for quick stuff, marinated chicken off the bone, that kinda thing. Much more convenient, and quicker. You can still put wood chip on a gas grill also.

Charcoal for anything that needs cooking, whole chicken, ribs and upwards really.

Soldato
Much more convenient, and quicker.

The convenience factor is massively over played in my mind. Sticking some charcoal in a chimney and lighting it takes a few minutes and by the time the prep is done, the BBQ is ready to go. I regularly light the BBQ in the evenings just to cook a steak or something quick.

Associate
I've got the weber spirit II s320 and I love it! I got myself the Rotisserie and griddle, does everything I need it to, especially when I've got friends round and it's easier cooking quantity.

Still use my Weber kettle for smoking and steaks when I have time.

Caporegime
I have a Multi fuel BBQ (Gas & Charcoal) the gas side gets used loads, if the weather is OK i will fire it up mid week (multiple times) and 2 mins later i'm cooking.

Yes taste is not the same as charcoal, but i would not do a long cook on the gas grill. Both fuels serve a purpose, those who are unable to see that are not worth listening to because most of the time they have no experience of using both.

Back
Top Bottom