Furniture Pads

Soldato
Getting a solid oak floor installed next week and obviously want to put some furniture pads on the feet of the chair to avoid scratches.

Anyone got any recommendations? Bargain store felt ones annoy me for collecting crap that then scratch the floor anyway (or they fall off) so wondering if anyone has come across something better?

Soldato
Used the one's Greebo listed above, they've been ok. Just need to listen out for the scrape to tell you when one has come off. I also got some for my dining chairs that had nails built in to hammer them into the base of the chair legs, they lasted for a long time.

P.s. you will get scratches at some point, just figure out how best to cover them up. With an 8 year old child and a dog, i've given up trying to sort them properly with wax type stuff, now i just use a wet tea bag to rub over it and hide it as best i can.......... :D

Soldato
OP
P.s. you will get scratches at some point, just figure out how best to cover them up. With an 8 year old child and a dog, i've given up trying to sort them properly with wax type stuff, now i just use a wet tea bag to rub over it and hide it as best i can.......... :D

Ha yeah, I was going to caveat my orignal post that we need something that last "for as long as we care about the floor" :D

Week one you're going to notice everything, but probably after the first year we'll probably not even notice that they've come off! :)

Soldato
Probably over the top and maybe not big enough (depends on the size of leg/foot). But you can buy caster cups for grand pianos, you can get them in glass/brass and all sorts. And obviously they're designed to take the weight of grand pianos up to half a ton. Just food for thought.

Soldato
I've not sorted out my dining chairs yet due to this issue! Trialed loads of chairs earlier in the year which marked the wood floor (plastic capped metal legged chairs the missus liked). The good thing is, the marks are just in the 'wax' layer of the osmo oil so I can always give the whole floor a rub down in the future.

For my Sofa's I have some really thick pads from a large sheet that my mum gave me years ago. I move the sofa's regularly to clean behind and they don't scratch at all. I saw a video of someone using mastic to essential help glue the pads on to the chair legs. I might try that when I finally get myself some new dining chairs as that will stop them coming off easily.

Soldato
I've seen in the past what can best be described as a chair leg condom. They were silicone I think, and very stretchy so they'd fit quite a range of leg girth. But I haven't been able to find the same for sale anywhere when I've looked. Ones I've found on Amazon have been specific sizes rather than stretchy.

Soldato
I also looked at them bazzabear but the wife didn't like the look of them. I think they were rubber too so I thought they might have stopped the chair from sliding backwards.

Soldato
Yeah i bought some of those cup type ones for our sofa and armchair casters like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-SMAL...471707?hash=item2c860ba75b:g:pJMAAOxyGqZSUaEG and they seem to work well

For everything else i got a felt pad selection pack and used them on everything else like small tables and wooden chairs and so far (5 years) they've been really good and haven't scratched the floor or fallen off even with just their original adhesive backing.

Associate
Wilkinson do rubber ones for a couple of quid.
They're better than the felt ones as they collect everything going, which turns into scratches.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Felt ones I've found are the better option just need to keep on top of the cleaning and once they pick up bits change them, solid oak floor is easy to repair scratches so I wouldn't stress to much about it, I'd be more worried with laminate.

Soldato
If you dont mind a slight extra layer of height you could stick something like a 3m sticker to the leg (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Sticky-Adhesive-Mounting-Squares/dp/B07C4YG6QN), and then the felt to that. The 3m stickers are very sticky and will not come off like the felt adhesive will. And then because the felt is stuck to the 3m which is stuck to the chair the felt should really struggle to come off.

Soldato
When we bought our sofa from sofology they upsold us these "gliders" which allow you to slide your sofa even on carpet. I'm not entirely sure what they're made of, and we've got a wooden floor anyway, but they work really well. All too well in fact to the point they can be annoying - think footstool slowly moving away from the sofa. We also have an armchair that's not quite against the wall, so whenever anyone sits on it, it moves back a good foot or so.

We do have similar on the dining room table, but it's only tiles out there.

Soldato
Funnily enough, my wife was at the Harvey's closing down event at the weekend and picked up a boat load of fabric pads for a fiver. Might be an option if there's one nearby

Soldato
OP
Cheers for all the suggestions guys - I knew the OC crew would be pedantic enough to make this a thread worth posting :D

Not actually sure what I'm going to get... I think in thoery rubber is what I'm after, but I can only find black rubber, and not sure if that will end up marking the floor anyway.

Don't think we want ones that glide as for most of the furniture it's going to stay in place 99% of the time - so a moving sofa would be a little annoying.

Associate
Cheers for all the suggestions guys - I knew the OC crew would be pedantic enough to make this a thread worth posting :D

Not actually sure what I'm going to get... I think in thoery rubber is what I'm after, but I can only find black rubber, and not sure if that will end up marking the floor anyway.

Don't think we want ones that glide as for most of the furniture it's going to stay in place 99% of the time - so a moving sofa would be a little annoying.
Mine are black rubber and they don't leave any marks on an oak floor

Associate

Don't know what size you want, B&Q sell white feet https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-white-rubber-feet-dia-31mm-pack-of-8/238858_BQ.prd

You can also get varying sizes of clear rubber bumpers.

Back
Top Bottom