Which HDR TV shall I get?

Soldato
I'm holding off until I can see them in the flesh but for me it's a toss up between OLED or QLED. I'm highly anxious about the burn in aspect of OLED, I can't imagine myself being able to relax everytime I play a game for a few hours and there is a hud element that doesn't change. That said, one of my pet peeves on any game is when it's supposed to be dark and I have some kind of glow from my tv backlighting which oled would have course eliminate. I have a KS7000 atm and it's annoying for that.
I just don't want to be at a pint point where I feel I have to babysit my TV for fear of ruining it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm hoping more games implement a HUD like TLoU2 where it's only there if you require to change something or craft. It's more immersive anyway without the HUD always being present.

Soldato
.... If you like greys instead of blacks and glow. What image retention :confused:

On the newer QLED sets that simply isn’t true. I find the lack of panel uniformity and image retention of OLED far more distracting and importantly that is evident at all times, whereas at least the lack of true black is only noticeable during dark scenes (which games generally aren’t).

Also, HDR is most definitely more impressive with the higher peak brightness that the QLED’s can achieve.

For films definitely go OLED, for gaming, it’s not that clear cut.

Soldato
On the newer QLED sets that simply isn’t true. I find the lack of panel uniformity and image retention of OLED far more distracting and importantly that is evident at all times, whereas at least the lack of true black is only noticeable during dark scenes (which games generally aren’t).

Also, HDR is most definitely more impressive with the higher peak brightness that the QLED’s can achieve.

Image retention again :rolleyes: Not a hint of it on my C9. Yeah, no games have dark scenes. You just cannot match the inky blacks and contrast.

The only time a QLED would be any good is in a brightly lit room.

Soldato
Have had a LG W7 OLED for a few years and would go the same route if this one ever breaks (or the C series if I couldn't get a wallpaper model on special). That said, once you get a decent budget, it's pretty hard to buy a bad TV and the recent non-OLED offerings from Samsung and Sony look fantastic too.

Soldato
I'm saving for a new TV and I was keen on the upcoming LG BX 48" OLED that is due to release later this year, pending reviews and price of course. I've look at LG OLED TVs in a shop and obviously they look great, but obviously they're always showing demo videos which of course are going to look amazing.

Associate
QLEDS are just VA panels, they're inferior to OLEDs when it comes to picture depth, black levels and just overall image quality. Burn or pixel wear as I call it, can be a problem of course but if you vary your content and don't display static images for hours a day you should be fine for a few years. The pixels will wear out though, reds for instance wear out quicker. It's hard to say how long pixel wear takes, depends on the user. Keep OLED light low, that will kill off pixels quickly. OLEDs do have some vertical banding at some grey grades, not much of an issue, certainly less annoying than the issues back lit TVs have.

Associate
If you are on a restricted budget then I can recommend the ROKU TV powered TVs from TCL and Hisense........I have a Samsung 65KS9500, and have been very happy with the picture, but wouldn't buy Samsung again as the support is appaling and the build quality is attrocious (the back is glued on and is peeling off - WTF?????), which for a £1500 TV is incredibly dissapointing.

I am also a big fan of Ambilight on Philips TV's - looks amazing when gaming (particularly if you have a few Philips Hue colour bulbs in the room as you can synch them all)!

Associate

I was very keen on the top end QLEDs. They look amazing to my eye in demos, and nearly perfect blacks combined with incredible highlights sounded ideal to me.

I did read though, that the problem with them for gaming is that the picture processing that gives those amazing results on an LCD panel is turned off in order to get low input lag in game mode, so they really fall behind OLEDs in gaming.

Back
Top Bottom