Comet Neowise, Milky Way, Shooting Star and Some Other Bits & Bobs

Associate
Decided to do an astro photography session last night . The main objective was to shoot the Neowise Comet but I ended up with so much more.

All the pictures were taken just outside Badb,y Northamptonshire, last night.

Shot on a Nikon D500 and a 18-300 Nikkor lens.

Along with getting the comet, the milky way and International Space Station, the icing on the cake was getting Saturn & Jupiter, the Milky Way and a shooting star all on a single shot. Cracking night albeit a bit chilly.

Here's a couple of examples, hope you enjoy.

Soldato
Amazing photos! What time was it when the comet was visible to you? I looked out for it last night in my garden around 2.30am but couldn't see it. I could see the big dipper and I believe the comet is meant to be under it, low on the horizon, but I guess I have too many trees in the way.

Soldato
Amazing photos and jealous you've seen it.

It's so annoying as my kitchen window looks directly at where neowise would be but I have 50ft trees blocking it all. I can't leave the house cos kids sleeping when it gets dark :(

Associate
OP
Brilliant photos and lucky you with the clear skies! I've been battling clouds for the past 4 nights and tonight isn't shaping up any better. Haven't seen the comet once!

These shots were taken between midnight and 1 am. The comet is very faint now and i was struggling to see it with the naked eye even knowing where to look.

Soldato
I believe I saw Saturn tonight. A very bright star in the south. My Skyview app seemed to say it was Saturn. By the time I decided I wanted to get a photo of it with my 300mm lens, the sky had gone from clear to cloudy! I've seen a photo from someone using a 300mm lens and he even managed to get the rings.

Permabanned
The Milky Way May Be Swarming With Planets That Have Continents and Oceans Like Earth
https://scitechdaily.com/the-milky-...new study,particles containing ice and carbon.

"“All planets in the Milky Way may be formed by the same building blocks, meaning that planets with the same amount of water and carbon as Earth,” says Professor Anders Johansen. Credit: NASA, ESA and G. Bacon (STScI)

Using a computer model, Anders Johansen and his team have calculated how quickly planets are formed, and from which building blocks. The study indicates that it was millimetre-sized dust particles of ice and carbon – which are known to orbit around all young stars in the Milky Way – that 4.5 billion years ago accreted in the formation of what would later become Earth.

“Up to the point where Earth had grown to one percent of its current mass, our planet grew by capturing masses of pebbles filled with ice and carbon. Earth then grew faster and faster until, after five million years, it became as large as we know it today. Along the way, the temperature on the surface rose sharply, causing the ice in the pebbles to evaporate on the way down to the surface so that, today, only 0.1 percent of the planet is made up of water, even though 70 percent of Earth’s surface is covered by water,” says Anders Johansen, who together with his research team in Lund ten years ago put forward the theory that the new study now confirms.

The theory, called “pebble accretion,” is that planets are formed by pebbles that are clumping together, and that the planets then grow larger and larger.

Anders Johansen explains that the water molecule H2O is found everywhere in our galaxy, and that the theory therefore opens up the possibility that other planets may have been formed in the same way as Earth, Mars, and Venus.

“All planets in the Milky Way may be formed by the same building blocks, meaning that planets with the same amount of water and carbon as Earth – and thus potential places where life may be present – occur frequently around other stars in our galaxy, provided the temperature is right,” he says."

Back
Top Bottom