An American Werewolf in London...

...is being remade.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465834/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

it has Max Landis, not sure if he's the son of John Landis, directing. No release date yet.

The original is one of my all time favourite films and holds a special place in my heart like Aliens and Robocop. I hope this new one is up to the original and doesn't follow the Paris sequel in quality.

Soldato
If experience has taught me anything, its probably that 99 times out of 100 the remake is never as good as the original.

For starters, the human to werewolf transformation will be CGI & I seriously doubt it will win the Oscar like the original did for Rick Baker.

Soldato
...is being remade.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465834/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

it has Max Landis, not sure if he's the son of John Landis, directing. No release date yet.

The original is one of my all time favourite films and holds a special place in my heart like Aliens and Robocop. I hope this new one is up to the original and doesn't follow the Paris sequel in quality.

The original would be on my favourite movie list (if I had one) so I share the trepidation about a remake. Still, at least the werewolf will be a girl this time (should get some folks frothing) so maybe it will be more like Ginger Snaps.

Commissario
He may not have directed much, but he's written horror, he's written off beat comedy (with elements of horror), that's pretty hard to get right but he did a good job of it which raises my hopes.

I would hope his father wouldn't have deliberately set him up for a fall, and would not have trusted him if he wasn't sure.
One of the things I try to remember in such cases is that often the offspring of a famous actor/director will, if they're serious and their parents were paying attention and taught them, have learned a lot about how things work long before they actually start earning any credits, and if they're doing something that is related to their parents work will often have a far better idea of the feel and workings behind it than a random director/writer chosen by the studio.
It's also worth noting that his father didn't have much more experience (possibly less) when he directed the original film.

Last edited:
Soldato
He may not have directed much, but he's written horror, he's written off beat comedy (with elements of horror), that's pretty hard to get right but he did a good job of it which raises my hopes.

I would hope his father wouldn't have deliberately set him up for a fall, and would not have trusted him if he wasn't sure.
One of the things I try to remember in such cases is that often the offspring of a famous actor/director will, if they're serious and their parents were paying attention and taught them, have learned a lot about how things work long before they actually start earning any credits, and if they're doing something that is related to their parents work will often have a far better idea of the feel and workings behind it than a random director/writer chosen by the studio.
It's also worth noting that his father didn't have much more experience (possibly less) when he directed the original film.

I hope you're right, I really do.

Soldato
Pretty sure he's talking about the John Carpenter version being a remake of The Thing From Another World, not the prequel we got a few years back.

Not sure if he's intentionally worded it that way to draw out the kind of response you just gave :D

Ding ding, winner winner... ;) had just finished work and wondered if I could reel someone in with a throwaway comment.

In what universe? Certainly not this one.

As Uncle Petey said, I'm on about carpenters 1982 remake.

Soldato
I like a Thing From Another Planet. But The Thing is brilliant.

Can’t see the point in a Werewolf remake. I bet it loses all of the quirky Britishness that makes the original so good. Also Scarlet Johanssen is too old to replace a Jenny Agutter.

Soldato
Is it really a remake when it's based off a book ? The Thing & The Thing from another world are 2 different directors adaptions on the novella "Who goes there?" The Thing prequel though was a homage to carpenters The Thing and actually works as prequel very well and is also not a remake as the ending flows perfectly into the start of Carpenters Thing :p

There's no book American Werewolf is based off though, so it is actually a remake and like most remakes it will suck

Back
Top Bottom